Picture of Dorian Grey/ Virgin Suicides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
i have read both of these books within the last year, and yet for the life of me, i cannot rememebr how either one ends. i am rather disapointed, because my whole reason for reading novels like that is to culture myself so that i can reference them in future conversation.

so can anyone spill the beans and tell me how they end?

Picture of Dorian Gray ends with Dorian trying to tear up the painting with a knife and because the painting is his soul, essentially, he ends up killing himself. A scream rings out, and then silence until the next morning when the butler finds him-- or at least thinks it's him. "It was only by his rings that they discovered who it was." Best ending line of a book.

Never read the Virgin Suicides. Although I saw the movie. In that, they all hanged themselves.

add Cathcer and the Rye to this list as well. damn, i have a bad memory...i read that like a month ago! does the kid just decide to go home happily?

he's in the train station ready to leave, but his sister turns up and says she wants to go with him. He realises this is his chance to be her "catcher in the rye" and keep her from doing bad things, and he's leading her down that path, so he takes her home and stays there. It's not to happily, as I think the book implies his parents send him to a mental institution.

come on, tell us the truth. in reality, you have to read these books for some sort of assignment and you want to save yourself some trouble? :wink: seriously (because that was a joke, in case you couldn't tell from the green smiley face), i've never read the virgin suicides, but both catcher in the rye and dorian gray are short and well worth re-reading. :up:

i think he said he wants to literally be the catcher in the rye, and catch kids from falling off or something. i think it comes up when he's trying to figure out what he should do with himself. looks like i need to re-read it, i think i last read it 6 or 7 years ago...

marik said:
do they explain what the phrase "the catcher in the rye" means, in the book?

yes they do.

he has this dream about all these little children playing in a rye field and accidentally falling off a cliff, but before they do he catches them. That's what he wants to be in real life. He says this to Phoebe when he steals into the house late at night right before he leaves.

I think Dorian Grey has one of the most interesting characters in Lord Henry Wotton... I mean that one man has so much influence to corrupt one man but is never overcome with evil as Dorian is....Brilliant Book!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom