Pick your 5 Favorite Rolling Stones Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please vote for your FIVE favorites

• 12 x 5 / The Rolling Stones #2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • December's Children (And Everybody's)

• It's Only Rock N' Roll

• Black and Blue

• Emotional Rescue

• Under Cover

• Dirty Work

• Steel Wheels

• Voodoo Lounge

• Bridges to Babylon

• Total voters

bono_212

Blue Crack Distributor
So, I was going to do something kinda silly/fast/fun with the previous survivor winners, but then I saw that we hadn't done The Stones yet, so I'll put that on hold in order to take on a huge project instead.

So, yeah, kicking off a Stones survivor, at least as long as interest remains.

But, we definitely need to decide a stopping point, because, unlike with Bowie, I don't think there are ANY albums of there's past the mid-80s that anyone's gonna go to bat for, right? So I'll list all of the albums in this thread, for completion's sake, but we'll only do survivor's through Tattoo You, and we can do a leftover's round at the end for any standalone songs that may be worth while (EX: The new singles from the most recent greatest hits got a bit of love). Unless of course some would rather do otherwise.

Anyways, yeah,

VOTE FOR YOUR FIVE (5) FAVORITES

And I'm leaving it up to you if you're voting for UK or US versions. It's your vote, use it the way you'd like. I'm going to be combining all songs from both versions into album threads anyways, so, for example, "Ruby Tuesday" will be in the Between The Buttons round.

For your own education, here are the previous final rounds of the bands/artists we have done survivors for:

EDIT: Forgot to set an end date for the poll, but yeah, let's say next Wednesday as an end date for this, around Midnight PST.

Mine is going to be

Their Satanic Majesties Request
Some Girls
Beggars Banquet
Exile

and then either Let It Bleed or Between the Buttons (US)

Love me some Stones.

In order:

Beggars
Sticky Fingers
Let It Bleed
Exile
Out of Our Heads

See I like all their albums, including post Tattoo You. Well, I could do without Dirty Work aside from a few good songs.

Have to think for 5! Sticky Fingers definitely in it though, and probably Goats Head Soup.

Goat's Head Soup > Some Girls

Do yourself a favor, Ashley, and forget about including everything after Tat too You in your Survivor. The few highlights aren't worth the trouble.

Yeah, I didn't plan on doing rounds for those albums unless someone put up a fuss. I'll do a catch all round for any songs we might've missed along the way, plus singles, but I highly doubt there's much to worry about there.

I've only heard a handful of Stones albums but I might follow cobbler and try and take part in this.

1. Sticky Fingers
2. Exile On Main Street
3. Let It Bleed
4. Beggars Banquet
5. Aftermath

Just Missing Out: The Rolling Stones, Now!

The general consensus with Some Girls is that it has plenty of flaws and is hardly top-tier Stones...plenty of Stones junkies like myself tend to prefer everything from the start of their career through Exile over Some Girls...

I think SG merely gets attention because that was the point where the Stones started to become a heritage live act and it helped that LP sell a bajillion copies. It's their most popular, no?

The first half is masterful IMO, there's a palpable feeling of sleaze and grit in the title track and their excellent cover of Just My Imagination. It holds together very well and you get the feeling of a once great band clicking back into place. The second half is a little weaker, but I've always had a soft spot for Before They Make Me Run and Shattered is obviously a classic.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't gotten that much out of the Stones' early albums. I'm listening to England's Newest Hitmakers right now and it sounds pretty ordinary. Same deal with December's Children. The Who's R&B had far more personality to it. Aftermath is good but sunk for me by the indulgent Goin' Home. The US version of Between the Buttons has an incredible first half but tails off quickly. I'll stick with the hits pre-Beggars Banquet.

Last edited:
BigMacPhisto's assessment is a bit harsh, I think. The highs on SG are incredibly high, and even some of the lesser-known tracks (especially Faraway Eyes) have a lot to offer as well. It deserves mention among their best, IMO.

Faraway Eyes is brilliant.

As I mentioned, it and Satanic Majesties are my two favorites Stones albums, and they edge each other out for overall favorite on a regular basis.

Exile, Sticky Fingers, Beggar's, Let it Bleed, Satanic Majesties (although I kinda prefer the Brian Jonestown Massacre's 2nd request).

This might be like the most boring/predictable top 5 ever.

Last edited:
The fifth spot is a tough call. Some Girls, Out of Our Heads, Majesties Request, and Goats' Head Soup are all contenders there.

I love the Rolling Stones! 1964-1965 and 1968-1972 is my favorite time period for the band.

It's very difficult for me to rank the following albums because they change depending on my mood. So my order for today is:

1. Beggar's Banquet--This is a perfect album imo. I think Mick really found his voice during its recording. Love Brian Jones' slide work on "No Expectation." It's one of my fave songs from the Stones.

2. The Rolling Stones aka: England's Newest Hit Makers. What a great album! It's a great introduction/homage to the band's blues roots.

3. Exile on Main St.-Love the collection of classic rock, blues, gospel, etc. "Stop Breaking Down," "Ventilator Blues," and "Rocks Off" are just a few of my faves from the album.

4. Let it Bleed--Another classic. "Gimme Shelter" is another of my fave songs from the band. Love Merry Clayton vocal solo! Lisa Fischer also does an amazing job when she tours with the band. And of course there's the song, "You Got the Silver." KEEEEFFFF!

5. Sticky Fingers rounds out my top 5. Love "Sway," "I Got the Blues" and "Moonlight Mile."

The fifth spot is a tough call. Some Girls, Out of Our Heads, Majesties Request, and Goats' Head Soup are all contenders there.

Yeah 4 is a no brainer, but for five I did sort of close my eyes and throw a metaphorical dart at those choices.

Well, since Let It Bleed obviously doesn't need help, I'll go with my first pick:

Some Girls, Satanic Majesties, Beggars, Exile, Between the Buttons.

I should have just voted Sticky Fingers. Looks strange with it lagging behind like that when it's their best album. :wink:

Some Girls back in fifth where it belongs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom