Pick the Best Music of 2007!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I swear I'd never heard one peep about Alcest, and I browse oodles of music magazines and online music blogs.

Thanks to NSW and anitram, I know have heard of them, and have my hot little hands on a downloaded copy to check it out (thanks, Google blog search!).

I'm now insanely curious about it.

Souvenirs d'un Autre Monde seemed to be more like an EP (in terms of length and focus). It was an interesting concept, nonetheless.

I would like to join LemonMelon and u2popmofo in recommending Lupe Fiasco's The Cool.

Good lists, folks.

Well, dang. That Alcest record did nothing for me. I kind of liked the first track, but as a whole, it's not my thing.

Oh well.

corianderstem said:
I swear I'd never heard one peep about Alcest, and I browse oodles of music magazines and online music blogs.

Yeah, it's not exactly a well-known album. I only came across Alcest in a passing reference while reading something about Jesu.

Probably not everyone's cup of tea (including yours, it seems :wink:), but I think it's brilliant.

phanan said:

Probably not everyone's cup of tea (including yours, it seems :wink:), but I think it's brilliant.

Yeah, same here. To me it seems that most people who liked Sigur Ros (especially the early stuff) liked this album as well. But it's definitely a niche record.

I like Sigur Ros and that kind of atmospheric stuff. But not when it's accompanied by loud(er) guitars. I like guitars in my rock, and minimal guitars in my atmospheric stuff.

:up: Nice list!

I really don't get The White Stripes, not live and not in CD format, but clearly it's a me-thing.

I just got the Alcest album, it's pretty good, for a post-rock fan lime me it's a great record, nice post-metal landscapes

also, I'm checking right now the Sally Shapiro album, it's great so far, obvoiusly I'm going to use it to drive, this kind of music is perfect for that

I can't get into Person Pitch, hard as I try. It has some great ideas and great harmonies, but the songs themselves are way too long and (most importantly) repetitive for me to really get into. Bros is basically 3 different ideas looped over and over for 12 minutes. Comfy In Nautica is killer though. :up:

anitram said:
More White Stripes on a list! I don't get this world. :ohmy:

I used to the feel the exact same way about them. Fell In Love With A Girl made me angry. Not sure what happened, but it really sunk in one day...I think Elephant did it.

I find their music unremarkable. I had the misfortune of seeing them live once (I was working the show so slightly different vantage point) and they honestly did nothing special. In fact it almost reminded me a of a cock rock show, had pretty much most of the hallmarks thereof.

At least they're no longer all over the place like a few years ago.

MrBrau1 said:
1. Ocean Colour Scene- On The Leyline
2. Kings Of Leon- Because Of The Times
3. Miles Hunt- Not An Exit
4. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club- Baby 81
5. Bruce Springsteen- Magic
6. Rooney- Calling The World
7. Ben Hardt- Ben Hardt And His Symphony
8. Neil Young- Chrome Dreams II
9. Feist - The Reminder
10. Robert Plant & Alison Krauss- Raisin Sand
11. Ryan Shaw- This Is Ryan Shaw
12. Smashing Pumpkins- Zeitgeist
13. Manic Street Preachers- Send Away The Tigers

if i remember correctly, you're a bss fan are you not? if so, what did you think of kevin drew's "solo" album?

Back
Top Bottom