Physics help please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtooellen

New Yorker
Not sure if this is the best place to post this (wasn't sure if I should post this in BAC.. if so, then mods feel free to move.. :) )..

but I have a powerpoint that's due in a matter of the next few weeks. This powerpoint is supposed to be something alike to a music video and I need to use a song. With the song playing during the powerpoint, I need to show the things we learned such as formulas, etc.

The trick of the matter is... is that the song MUST be physics related too (the lyrics should be related to gravity, velocity, sound waves, motion, forces, inertia, astronomy, anything..).

I've searched for hours through all my music and couldn't come up with any decent songs. All the well known songs are all taken because.. well, they're well known (ie. Coldplay - Speed of Sound).

Anyone able to help me with this search or have any good ideas? I'm supposed to turn this song in by the end of this week. :|

I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Thank you so much in advance :bow: :bow:

Well, there's still "Across the Universe" by the Beatles, sang by a lot of other artists (I don't know if you can take the same song interpretated) such as Fiona Apple, Rufus, etc.

I haven't listenned to the song yet but know the group : 30 Seconds to Mars - Welcome to the Universe.

David Usher - Alone in the Universe / Train - Drops of Jupiter....

And some others... hm. That's my contribution :)

Well...I have a couple ones I'd try to use.... but I am a shameless Church fan. It doesn't have to be really accurate does it? I mean this is by an artist, not a physicist.

The first one I thought of is "Terra Nova Cain"

Turn down the gravity, this is all too heavy
I'll show you how the ancients once traveled
They used to call this a Chevy
Just before the continents sank, you could still go outside
I was sitting on a hot off ramp
She pulled up and asked me if I needed a ride

Terra Nova Cain, I need you again
Deep space jam on an alien terrain
Some for the little boys who live down the lane

I should have known there was something amiss
She had unearthly eyes
She had a way of sifting through your mind
Like she'd done it to a million guys
She said, "Will you help with our research?"
I said, "Take me to your leader."
She put her foot down on the oscillation pedal
She was a transdimensional speeder

Protect me from the meteor rain
Put your exploratory probe right into my brain

They brought me back after thousands of years
I hadn't aged at all
We used to float around her weightless bedroom
That drove me right up the wall

You dropped me off and you've left me quite drained
Help me break these telekinetic chains

Deep space jam on an alien terrain
Put your exploratory probe right into my brain

The second is more general (and I don't think it fits as well lyrically as Terra Nova Cain does), but it kind of fits the mood since it does have "the Milky Way" in it, and that gets your astronomy angle.

It's called (drum roll please...) "Under The Milky Way" :)

Sometimes when this place gets kind of empty
Sound of their breath fades with the light
I think about the loveless fascination
Under the Milky Way tonight

Lower the curtain down in Memphis
Lower the curtain down all right
I got no time for private consultation

Wish I knew what you were looking for
Might have known what you would find

And it's something quite peculiar
Something that's shimmering and white
It leads you here despite your destination

If you are interested in either I can let you listen to the songs so you can decide if they fit what you are thinking of. (hell, I'm in the mood to spend more money on The Church anyway. :) )

thanks everyone for the contributions so far :)

vervex, those are some great recommendations. I'll definitely look into them. :)
I was actually going to do 'Come Together' by the Beatles before, but someone in my class already took it. :down: it would've been a good one though too..

indra said:
If you are interested in either I can let you listen to the songs so you can decide if they fit what you are thinking of. (hell, I'm in the mood to spend more money on The Church anyway. :) )

I'd love to hear 'Terra Nova Cain'. From the looks of the lyrics, the song would be great to use.
I already have 'Under the Milky Way' which is also a very good idea :hmm:. Thanks!

How about "Gravity's Bringing Us Down" by Beulah? I think it's on epitonic.com or betterpropaganda.com or some kind of free&legal music site. I haven't listened to it in awhile, but I think it might fit.

Or "Feeling Gravity's Pull" by R.E.M.! That's definitely a good pick.

Or "Jupiter Crash" by the Cure, on the astronomy front? God, there's tons of places you could go that way. This is a fun topic!

youtooellen said:
thanks everyone for the contributions so far :)

I'd love to hear 'Terra Nova Cain'. From the looks of the lyrics, the song would be great to use.
I already have 'Under the Milky Way' which is also a very good idea :hmm:. Thanks!

Check your email (the one you used to sign up for this forum on). Email subject -- Terra Nova Cain.

:)

^ it's strange cause when I was first deciding what song to choose, that song came to my head. but unfortunately, I need a song with lyrics that have specific 'physics-related' stuff in it. :slant:
thanks for the idea though :up:

today I just found out that someone is using the 'Let's Get Physical' song in my class. :rolleyes: another girl is using U2's Elevation :| .
(I'm curious as to what formula she'll use for the 'a mole digging in a hole..' part.. )
I'm really hoping that I can come up with something better than those (no offense to the 'Elevation' song though) :huh:

I think you should suggest to your teacher that people should get extra points for going with an obscure song. That would either clear out the obvious songs so you could use them (as others scramble for the extra points) or give you extra points. Worth a try. :) :wink:

well, my physics teacher claimed U2 was one of his favorite bands back in the day. he said he went to one of their Chicago shows during Elevation tour with his wife.
I know he likes Beatles and such groups like them too, so maybe choosing an obscure song would get me some extra credit points :hmm:
nice idea indra :up: :wink:

cause I really need that extra credit.. :|

Hey. you're doing better than me....I never even took physics. :D

I never wanted to take physics... :shifty:

my counselor and my brother told me that physics is mandatory in school though :shrug:

and by the way indra, that song you sent me is very good :yes: I really like it :up:

youtooellen said:

and by the way indra, that song you sent me is very good :yes: I really like it :up:

Thanks. :)

I used to listen to that album all the time, but haven't for some time now (my Church collection has expanded exponentially over the past several years). It was kind of fun for me to drag it back out and give it a few spins. :)

You might want to consider Pink Floyd's "Astronomy Dominé." It might be a bit strange, but it does have some fitting lyrics. The intro is pretty spacey as well. I could send it to you if you want.

Astronomy Dominé
(Syd Barrett)

Lime and limpid green, a second scene
A fight between the blue you once knew.
Floating down, the sound resounds
Around the icy waters underground.
Jupiter and Saturn, Oberon, Miranda
And Titania, Neptune, Titan.
Stars can frighten.

Blinding signs flap,
Flicker, flicker, flicker blam. Pow, pow.
Stairway scare Dan Dare who's there?
Lime and limpid green
The sounds surrounds the icy waters underground
Lime and limpid green
The sounds surrounds the icy waters underground.

On second thought, this song is probably more about acid than physics. :hmm:

oh I have that song :drool:

I can't believe I didn't consider Pink Floyd tracks for my project.. :|

thanks a lot GibsonGirl :)

Back
Top Bottom