Photographers' Union Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks - I figure with a name like jets, you have some good ones yourself :wink:.

lol....There is an airforce base about 30 minutes from me, but these are the only "Jets" I've ever shot :wink:

3542115368_ffd9f67500.jpg

3541310613_8d7f95dfe7.jpg

3069970529_b940823bed.jpg

Hey everyone, sorry for my prolonged absence - my laptop broke and it was sent in for repairs. Anyway, some photos from a men's conference I was shooting at on Friday:

4416_83850703694_705953694_1760886_5460102_n.jpg

4416_83850768694_705953694_1760897_467010_n.jpg

4416_83850783694_705953694_1760898_8277502_n.jpg

4416_83850803694_705953694_1760902_5875466_n.jpg

n705953694_1760957_1020173.jpg

4416_83854858694_705953694_1760926_5403316_n.jpg

Nice sport shots there. I'm going to try to bring my camera into a game soon.

Good band shots major_panic - looks like you used a wide aperture lens.

So this thursday going out with my brothers and cousin to do a few test shots and try to see if I can capture what I explained earlier in the threads. I'll post the results when I'm done.

My hopefully successful photo for Ecuador, what I want it to look like, take out the trees and add the church and this is what I am talking about. Crappy drawing

test.jpg

Recently took a photo tour through some old places in Beijing. The tour was setup through some government office that's supposed to make foreign experts happy. Whatever, I had fun.

Anyway, here's one of the series I made from the shots, "doors." Critical feedback would be much appreciated.

1.)
3545170867_33f23af1da.jpg

2.)
3545976558_92f5a1f4b2.jpg

3.)
3545973828_0c3e2ecf2a.jpg

4.)
3545969604_f5337930a9.jpg

5.)
3545965726_5fc9a4b897.jpg

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last one!!! I have this thing about old door photos with peeling paint, and that is my favorite color. Love it! I love them all really, those are the kind of shots I like taking, close up with lots of color and texture.

My hopefully successful photo for Ecuador, what I want it to look like, take out the trees and add the church and this is what I am talking about. Crappy drawing

They have to hold absolutely still for 30 seconds? I'm not sure that can be done - they have to hold their breath at a minimum. Someone posted a similar photo on a photo website a few years ago, and many people thought it was a composite. He basically photographed himself with NYC in the background at night (a flash was used for him) in a 30 sec exposure. He said it was very difficult to pull off. I'll look for a link later.

Nice - 1,3, and 4 look distinctly Chinese. I've noticed some vignetting in some of your shots, but it looks fine.

I've noticed some vignetting in some of your shots, but it looks fine.

I actually add the vignetting with Lightroom. I like the effect (maybe a little bit too much). It seems like it focuses the eye's attention by darkening the corners. I don't know. Should I use it less, or not at all?

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the last one!!! I have this thing about old door photos with peeling paint, and that is my favorite color. Love it! I love them all really, those are the kind of shots I like taking, close up with lots of color and texture.

Then you would have loved this place. Because we were going on an official trip sponsored by the government, we got private access to an old courtyard house (they call them "hutongs") that belonged to a lesser relative of the Qing dynasty royal family. Unlike most historic places in Beijing, this place hasn't been restored at all, so it was covered in peeling paint, crumbling brick, and rusted statues. Amazing textures.

Next week I'll post from my second series, "textures."

I actually add the vignetting with Lightroom. I like the effect (maybe a little bit too much). It seems like it focuses the eye's attention by darkening the corners. I don't know. Should I use it less, or not at all?

Ok - good effect in that case. I had some vignetting with one of my lenses (with a macro adapter attached), which I didn't want.

I like the vignetting. I get a little bit with my 55-200mm and I always leave it, especially in photos like what you posted. I get tons of it with my macro adapter at a wider angle and that I don't like. On my point and shoot I had to zoom out to 3x to get rid of it, currently I use a telephoto lens and it's gone.

Yes more textures!....

Stammer your photos from china are beautiful. Love everything about them.

Ntalwar I am up for the challenge I'll post Friday my test shot results.

Nice sport shots there. I'm going to try to bring my camera into a game soon.

Good band shots major_panic - looks like you used a wide aperture lens.

Thank ntalwar - I used a Canon 50mm f1.8, the only prime lens I can afford at the moment.

Recently took a photo tour through some old places in Beijing. The tour was setup through some government office that's supposed to make foreign experts happy. Whatever, I had fun.

Anyway, here's one of the series I made from the shots, "doors." Critical feedback would be much appreciated.

Mate, those were amazing! Being Chinese I liked #1 especially, but they're all fantastic shots. And as many have said, I think the vignetting adds a bit to the photo - I guess it only really works with macro photos though..?

lol....There is an airforce base about 30 minutes from me, but these are the only "Jets" I've ever shot :wink:

DC United. I think I'll stick to shooting daytime games - the high iso plus high shutter speed settings required for night games (like this) are a pain. Was fun though.

DCU5_SMALL.jpg

DCU2_SMALL.jpg

DC United. I think I'll stick to shooting daytime games - the high iso plus high shutter speed settings required for night games (like this) are a pain. Was fun though.

DCU5_SMALL.jpg

DCU2_SMALL.jpg

Pretty good for night games :up: your stadium has much better lighting than ours.

What lens did you use ?

btw does Fred still play for DC United ? Carved up the A-League here when he played for Melbourne Victory.

Pretty good for night games :up: your stadium has much better lighting than ours.

What lens did you use ?

btw does Fred still play for DC United ? Carved up the A-League here when he played for Melbourne Victory.

Thanks. I pushed the levels a little on those - lighting could have been better, although the game started a few minutes before sunset. I used my 70-200mm f/4 IS plus 1.4x teleconverter. So I was stuck with f/5.6 and ISO 2000-3200 all night. If I were closer (e.g. on the sidelines) I could have lost the teleconverter and gained an extra stop.

I didn't know about Fred's background. He seems to be benched a lot. This is the only one I got of him.

FRED.jpg

I took this one today at Discovery Kingdom.. I thought it came out really pretty.

butterflywall.jpg

I was at a regional dog show this weekend, their photog never showed up, so we got commissioned last minute. It's somewhat a pain, because being the "official" photog means I'm then obligated to photograph EVERY dog (not all of them do, but we promise to photograph every dog stacked and moving, so people don't have to sign up for photos beforehand). If I'm not the official photog, I do mainly the dogs I like and candid stuff so I have more time to check out vendors and meet people. This weekend, I missed out on that but the plus side is that it's another bullet point for my experience list, and being official means you are in the middle of the ring with the judge so you don't have to shove people around to get a great shot, you have an official that shoves people FOR you! So it was a long day, showing my own dog, being stuck in the sun, and having to photograph every class, but I always tell myself I would have been taking photos anyway, this way I get a better spot and maybe can sell a few photos...

I do some street photography once in a while:

PARK_GIRL_SM-1.jpg

After seeing some of the the photos Jive Turkey posted, I decided to start trying some post-processing beyond the basics on more photos like the one above (plugins help). It can really add another dimension. I'll have to get a good book on post-processing, especially for scenes with people.

Second series from the Beijing photo day on May 16. Series is "Characters." I don't think they turned out as well as the door stuff, but I got a couple of good ones.

1.) "China" (ancient character, hua)
3570469284_c02c43e619.jpg

2.) "Birds compete for the tree" (last line of a famous poem)
3570466814_2710571193.jpg

3.) "Forbidden" (this character is all too common here)
3570464894_a2f218aa03.jpg

4.) "Net" (likely from an internet bar)
3570463062_a8c1b85468.jpg

5.) "A big prize" (thought this was fitting because the winner of the photo competition gets 15,000 RMB)
3569648775_cf634c23c9.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom