Photographer's Union Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and we just had kind of a pre- fall storm

IMG_1914.jpg

Nice work Dyami :)

Well I'm buying this in a week for 500 bucks

Norman p1250

unit powers up to 6 flash heads

3 lh2000 flash heads, 2 with cooling fans (average $200 and up on ebay)

other accessories:
beauty dish
snoot
barn door get set
reflectors

Justin, just be sure to power down then pop the head like crazy before pulling it out. Normans can be nasty bitches

So they are not good buys then? Or I just need to know how to handle them lol. When you say power down then pop you mean discharge the electricity still running in the flash heads?

Well, as long as you're careful, they should be fine. $500 for all that and you cant really go wrong. And ya, when you turn the pack off, there will still be power in the capacitors. When you hit the test button after you power down, the strobes will still fire. The problem with the Normans (at least the ones that I've used) is that a single test wont discharge all of the power. You need to press it at least 10 times and then ideally leave it for a minute. Otherwise, theres a chance there will still be power and the charge will arc between the connections as you pull them apart. It could give you a good jolt or damage the pack. Just be careful, is all. I've had two blow up on me
Yep, you can use pocket wizards, you just need the right cord for the pack. I think the norman packs have 2 prongs, sort of like a small power cord prong

Cool Thanks Jive You are always helpful. Were going to be using the studio in class and will learn about the power packs and how to not fry your equipment and stuff, should be fun.

It will be fun. Once you get over the slight anxiety of the equipment, it'll be a lot of fun. It will change the way you approach all your shots too

This is a pretty neat photograph. Probably from between 1958-1960, from the NASA Gemini Program. Cool view from inside, building the Gemini rocket. My dad on the left.

DadGeneralDynamics1-1.jpg

I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! I remember thinking it was an awesome photo ever since I was a little kid, so when he was getting rid of a bunch of stuff I grabbed it. There is one more but the first one is just the coolest.

DadGeneralDynamics2-1.jpg

hey guys, what do you think of the canon 50D ??!! I once was pretty sure to get the Nikon D90 hahaa, but now I can't decide! thanks! :wave:

hey guys, what do you think of the canon 50D ??!! I once was pretty sure to get the Nikon D90 hahaa, but now I can't decide! thanks! :wave:

I don't know much about the 50D - did read a review a while back that said it had higher than average high iso noise, but is a solid mid-level camera. The Canon 60D just came out as a replacement to the 50D. I'd look into that, as well as the 7D (more expensive).

I don't know much about the 50D - did read a review a while back that said it had higher than average high iso noise, but is a solid mid-level camera. The Canon 60D just came out as a replacement to the 50D. I'd look into that, as well as the 7D (more expensive).

mhh ok.
yes the 60D has also video function (but is not important to me) and maybe a bit better. but for now it is just too expensive. (as well as the 7D !)
i was just wondering about the different prices and if there is a real pro/con. the nikon is 300€ cheaper. oh and i consider to get the usual kit lens. the 18-105 for the nikon and 18-135 for the canon.
i really like the handling and manuals of the canon a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom