Photographer's Union Part Deux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1466.jpg

Very nice series of photos Dyami :)

anyone know of any famous or relatively unknow female argentinian photographers?

reflection of the mountounts across the apartment

IMG_9436.jpg

I love this one! Is this your home or where you were vacationing?

I have shepherds too, two of them (2 year old male and nearly 7 year old female) and one new puppy to be born this week!
4958093895_c619df560e_z.jpg

I use a Nikon D90 and prefer Nikon but I'd say go with what feels the best to you. You can't go wrong either way. I don't really put as much stake in the kit lens since I usually have a shopping list of additional lenses (I rarely use my 18-105 kit lens, in fact it is broken and I've never bothered to send it in even though it's under warranty).

ok, thanks.
I think I will buy the Nikon this week. I don't like that the Canon is still so expensive although the 60D is coming. It's more a pro camera than the Nikon what it makes it all very comfortable (handling etc). But there is still a price difference of 300€, although the store would give me a reduction of 100 for the body and again 100€ for the lens. :crack:
mhh, what kind of lenses do you use if I might ask?

ok, thanks.
I think I will buy the Nikon this week. I don't like that the Canon is still so expensive although the 60D is coming. It's more a pro camera than the Nikon what it makes it all very comfortable (handling etc). But there is still a price difference of 300€, although the store would give me a reduction of 100 for the body and again 100€ for the lens. :crack:
mhh, what kind of lenses do you use if I might ask?

There's a few different ways you can go for lenses, depending on how far 'into' photography you're gonna get: (obviously these aren't the ONLY options)

a) You could start with the kit lens and get another lens that covers the lengths that the kit lens doesn't, and later upgrade the kit lens itself,

b) You could go without a kit lens and get a travel zoom (something like a 28-200 or whatever),

c) You could just stick with the kit lens and then buy a prime lens or whatever strikes your fancy, or

d) You could buy professional-level lenses with the view to becoming at least a semi-pro.

Most people go with a) or b), and c) is more the amateur enthusiast heading towards being a semi-pro. d) is only if you have a hell of a lot of money to drop. If you were just gonna take better travel photos, I'd recommend b), but if you wanted to do more artistic stuff I'd say c). Most people will tell you that the kit lens is rubbish, and they'd mostly be right, but it can be a useful tool if you're in a bit of a pinch.

Oh, and a funny story for everyone: I was going round Melbourne city with a friend doing some photography / video work, I'm carrying my 40D with 12-24 and 50mm, he's got his 5D with 24-70L and 70-200L. We're in this little alleyway taking stills of the graffiti there, and there are heaps of other photographers coming around with their own cameras, mostly of the beginner variety.

So this one older guy comes up to us, holding what looked like a 450D or similar, and asks my friend what 'that big lens of yours is'. He replies 70-200, and the old guy laughs, and says to us 'And it's that big? Mine goes from 28 to 200, and it's half the size of yours, haha!' in one of those 'hey I'm better than you' tones. We nod and let him run along, then duck down another alley and burst out laughing. :lol:

I love this one! Is this your home or where you were vacationing?

I have shepherds too, two of them (2 year old male and nearly 7 year old female) and one new puppy to be born this week!
4958093895_c619df560e_z.jpg

wish it was my home ;) was vacation in swiss alps
and lovely sheperds
my new puppie is 5 months old now, i breed with them

There's a few different ways you can go for lenses, depending on how far 'into' photography you're gonna get: (obviously these aren't the ONLY options)

a) You could start with the kit lens and get another lens that covers the lengths that the kit lens doesn't, and later upgrade the kit lens itself,

b) You could go without a kit lens and get a travel zoom (something like a 28-200 or whatever),

c) You could just stick with the kit lens and then buy a prime lens or whatever strikes your fancy, or

d) You could buy professional-level lenses with the view to becoming at least a semi-pro.

Most people go with a) or b), and c) is more the amateur enthusiast heading towards being a semi-pro. d) is only if you have a hell of a lot of money to drop. If you were just gonna take better travel photos, I'd recommend b), but if you wanted to do more artistic stuff I'd say c). Most people will tell you that the kit lens is rubbish, and they'd mostly be right, but it can be a useful tool if you're in a bit of a pinch.

mhh, then I think, I'm c). I will just buy it with the kit lens because at the moment I really don't have a clue of what exactly I want to capture. I guess I will find out (or maybe not lol) when trying a few things and then I will see what is the best for my needs.

99% of the time I am using a 55-200mm lens. The other 1% I might use the kit lens but for shooting video at wider angles. I also have a macro adapter that I love (fits both lenses) and sometimes borrow a really nice 70-300mm lens. I also want a nice 50mm for when I am doing posed dog portraits and dog shows. I'm not pro or even semi-pro and I do more candid photography. I'm not one to think about setting up really superb, artistic shots, I just grab my camera and shoot stuff as it happens.

the nikon is 300€ cheaper. oh and i consider to get the usual kit lens. the 18-105 for the nikon and 18-135 for the canon.
i really like the handling and manuals of the canon a lot more.

That's a bit surprising that the Nikon is 300 euros cheaper - in the US, they are roughly the same price. Some online stores even have the Canon 50D for less than the Nikon D90. The Canon's kit lens is 28-135mm btw. The Canon has 3 more MP and an alloy body.

I'm not familiar with the prices but make sure it's not some grey market camera (unless you're OK with that). Most of the camera sellers I've found online are not reputable. If the deal seems to good to be true than it probably is. These days I only buy from my local shop (Norman Camera) which price matches, or from B&H.

I'm not familiar with the prices but make sure it's not some grey market camera (unless you're OK with that). Most of the camera sellers I've found online are not reputable.

I use resellerratings.com to research merchants. My dslr is actually grey market (for which i paid a few hundred $ less) - same camera, but Japanese warranty instead of US. I was a bit skeptical at first, but luckily the camera has not had any issues and the warranty period is now over.

That's a bit surprising that the Nikon is 300 euros cheaper - in the US, they are roughly the same price. Some online stores even have the Canon 50D for less than the Nikon D90. The Canon's kit lens is 28-135mm btw. The Canon has 3 more MP and an alloy body.

yes, I really don't understand that. :shrug:
the nikon here is 900€. the price is really decreasing lately.
and yes, the canon body is sooo nice. I love it. And I guess, I need at least a good L lens (which I can't afford right now) to use the 15MP ....

I don't consider buying online. I found a good store, with good prices. I just feel better having the possibility to go there if something is wrong with the camera.

And I guess, I need at least a good L lens (which I can't afford right now) to use the 15MP ....

You don't need a L lens for that model - even the new Rebels have 18MP. It's a cropped sensor and not as demanding of lenses, unlike the full frame 21MP 5D Mark II I own.

Is Nikon coming out with a new line of DSLR bodies in the near future? Seems like all the camera places around here have drastically slashed their prices on models like the D90, D300s, etc.

Saw this on Engadget. You can now record HD video in HDR. Should be interesting to see future HDR videos

HDR video accomplished using dual 5D Mark IIs, is exactly what it sounds like -- Engadget

Are you ready for a wave of HDR to crash over the consumer electronics industry, leaving nothing but oversaturated photos and full-to-the-brim Flickr groups in its wake? We've got a sneaky suspicion that Apple's inclusion of HDR in the iPhone is one of those telling warning signs that you ignore at your own risk, and now we've got HDR video to cower from behind our fast-aging current gen devices. As you might expect, HDR video looks just like HDR stills (an underexposed and an overexposed image combined into one), except in motion.

The effect has been accomplished by Soviet Montage Productions, who used two Canon EOS 5D Mark II DSLRs and a beam splitter, which allows each camera to look at the exact same subject, to accomplish the effect. They're short on details on the post-processing end, but we're sure there will be "an app for that" before too long. Sample is after the break.
[Thanks, Mike]

This is my third day as a happy Zeiss ZE 85mm f/1.4 owner. Man, I love this lens. Focus can be insanely tricky at times, but boy oh boy, it shines. I'm never buying zoom lenses again.

Took this, which has become my first explored flickr photo! (yay!)

4977176549_800980c929.jpg

Flickr link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom