Phone Call Spam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beli

Blue Crack Addict
I just received a phone call from a machine. :ohmy:

It was some automated message asking me to dial a number to go into a competition to win a porsche.

All I had to do was ring and pay $5.99 a minute..

* has visions of Homer Simpson skivving work *

ive never had one of those.
some insurance company rang me once (apparently it was insurance) and before the call would connect, I had to listen to an ad for some shit. I hung up and complained about it to a friend who told me it was a new way of bugging the shit out of innocent people.
:mad:

Oh man I used to get those before the Do Not Call list went into effect here. I got one every once in awhile where I'd pick up and a recording would say something like "please hold for a very special offer".

Ok, you're gonna call my home to spam me, then ask that I wait on hold for YOU? yeah right :huh:

Last edited:
The freaky thing about this message was it sounded like the virgin mobile voice mail guy.

I thought it was my voice mail phoning - until i remembered i was on the landline. :huh:

its a register of where most of these scamming bastards buy your details off, and you ask them to remove your name and decrease your likelihood of being harrassed. if you're american anyway.
we have a similar thing here beli.
i rang and we got less calls and addressed junk mail as a result.

google to see if you can find out.

this reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld:

Seinfeld: Hello.
Telemarketer: Hi. Would you be interested in switching over to TMI long-distance service?
Seinfeld: Oh, gee, I can't talk right now. Why don't you give me your home number and I'll call you later?
Telemarketer: (long pause) Well, I'm sorry. We're not allowed to do that.
Seinfeld: I guess you don't want people calling you at home.
Telemarketer: No.
Seinfeld: Well, now you know how I feel.

:up:

i just signed up for the national do not call list last week. while it says it takes 3 weeks to take affect, i think i've noticed a difference already in the number of telemarketing calls i get :up:

beli, here's the page for the national do not call list since you asked what it was. of course this is only good in the US. you don't have anything like this there?
i only wish they had one for email spam :mad:

http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

We have a similar thing in the UK, although it's not well advertised. You can get the number from BT and it takes 28 days from the date of registration to take effect. Or you can register on their website - again BT has the details.

ABEL said:
i just signed up for the national do not call list last week. while it says it takes 3 weeks to take affect, i think i've noticed a difference already in the number of telemarketing calls i get :up:

beli, here's the page for the national do not call list since you asked what it was. of course this is only good in the US. you don't have anything like this there?
i only wish they had one for email spam :mad:

http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

Thanks ABEL for posting the website. I just got done registering on it. :hug:

ABEL said:

I signed up for the national DNC list in January. I get maybe 1 telemarketer call a month. :happy:

Mr. BAW said:
What's the big idea of "them" calling me and when I answer, the recording says "please hold on, our representative will be right with you....(elevator music)...."

Feck off! :mad:

I've always wondered how many people those companies end up talking to - do people really wait for a telemarketer? :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom