Phantom of the Opera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AvsGirl41

New Yorker
I just got back from seeing it.

I thought it was excellent--and I'd been hearing so much flak that I went with no expectations.

I thought Gerard Butler couldn't get any hotter. I was wrong. :drool:

I'm going late tonight. I've heard some bad reviews too, but hopefully it will exceed my expectations.

:hyper:

:hyper: I'M SO GLAD TO HEAR A POSITIVE REVIEW!!!! It's been pissing me off because all the people who have been giving it bad marks didn't even like the musical!!! :madspit: I'm going to see it tomorrow. :hyper:

Give us more details on your review!!!! I'm sososososososo excited. :hyper:

I've heard it was utterly terrible. Exaggeration or some truth to it?

It has to be exaggeration--I really did go in expecting it to not be very good and came away really impressed. Considering it was Joel Schumacher, I expected it to really be poor.

Except for a few changes here and there--some of the lines are spoken, rather than sung, certain set pieces are different, there's some added story (Christine and the Phantom's background are elaborated on, there's several scenes of an old Raoul and Madame Guiry) it's *identical* to the musical. :shrug: You either like lavish Broadway musicals, or you don't--and I suspect most film reviewers fall into the latter and that's where the bad reviews are coming from.

It borrows alot of tricks from Moulin Rouge, which I did think was cheap of Schumacher, but otherwise the musical really translated well to film. And they kept alot of the stage details--the guys drinking in the elephant prop, for example--that should make fans really happy.

The sets and the costumes are gorgeous. The Phantom's lair is just awesome. The graveyard scene is *very* cool. The Phantom's make-up could have used some improvement--it didn't have the shock value of the stage production--and compared to Butler's uber-hotness, it seemed so trifling! ;)

The singers are all excellent and really surprised me. I think the actress playing Christine is better than Sarah Brightman (who I always thought was overrated). Clips I had heard of Gerard Butler had convinced me he couldn't carry the part vocally, but he did a fantastic job, I thought. There were two songs, "Angel of Music" and "The Phantom of the Opera" where he definitely lacked the power of someone like Michael Crawford, but he really did an amazing job on "The Music of the Night." He's never sung before, apparently.

And "Past the Point of No Return" has to be one of the sexiest film scenes (except for Brad Pitt's ass in Troy) of the year. Raoul's tears while watching it were entirely understandable. ;)

Two respectable reviews--Peter Travers in Rolling Stone, and Roger Ebert's (who dislikes the musical, but liked the movie all right.)

The rest hate the musical with a passion, so my theory is correct. :)

Just got back from seeing it. :up:

Love the musical, like the movie. Certain parts seemed to drag on, but overall I was impressed.

I agree that Gerard Butler's singing was a bit weak, but maybe I'm exagerrating a bit, since I'm so used to hearing Michael Crawford singing.

I love the musical, but I'm not sure if I want to see anyone except Michael Crawford sing the Phantom. And though it feels strange to complain, Phantom looks way too pretty IMO - less a monster and more like a male model who's had a nasty industrial accident, :)

Saw the musical in London (12 years ago), which I just loved.

The movie opens in Sydney on 26 December 2004.

I am looking forward to seeing it.

I am one of those truly sad people (sad in that I can't afford it yet do it anyway) who watch the musical phenomenon that is Phantom once a year. I and three other friends of mine always go without fail, and we've done this for six years now. So when I heard the news that it was going to be a movie I was really really excited, and horrified at the same time. I watched the movie about two weeks ago when it came out in London, and I have to say that I thought it was magnificent. It is my favourite musical and a sensation of a spectacle that never fails to move me to tears. Sniff, sniff.

Joel Shumacher gets a lot of flak. He is often labelled as the guy 'who killed the Bat', in that his Batman & Robin was an atrocious debacle, but I have always blamed the screenwriter, that awful man Akiva Goldsman for that. Schumacher, if truth be told, is an exquisitely talented director when it comes to visuals, and is so visually aware and inspired that I knew he would get the look right. I was worried, SO worried about his cast.

NO one can ever replace Michael Crawford, the original Phantom. After all, the role was written for him. However, Gerard Butler didn't try to replace him - he did the best he could, which was to interpret it in his own manner, and I admired his interpretation. I liked what he and Schumacher did in adding those few little touches - we see the Phantom dropping the curtain on Carlotta when she starts singing, whereas in the musical it never acutally falls on her. Its the determined sort of 'get that horrid cow off the stage' sentiment in the flick of the wrist that made me laugh. I also adored the shot of him actually swapping the tonic Carlotta takes for God knows what else in order to make her croak like a toad. Also, I love the way he says 'A toad, madame? Perhaps it is you who are the toad'. He was brilliant.

Raoul, too was outstanding. I have always hated Raoul (and sided with the Phantom, disturbingly) but in the film they actually cast an attractive actor who can sing really really well, and I do believe they made him more heroic, though I 'did' have problems with the graveyard scene - though I loved the duel, I didn't like that Phantom lost it, and that it was Raoul who spared his life. Hrm... again, I'm one to side with Phantom.

But the one who really SHINES in this film is Christine. Emmy Rossum is absolutely fantastic, and a hell of an improvement over that horrific diva, Sarah Brightman, who I felt always tarnished the role of Christine. Her singing made Christine a narcisstic wimp, and by far the character I have always truly despised but Emmy Rossum was SO good she absolved me of seven years of bile and venom towards the character of Christine, and made me like her. I loved her Christine, she was absolutely fantastic - and her singing was simply glorious. Her rendition of 'Think of Me' was grand.

Of course, the visuals were terrific. Schumacher visualised everything perfectly right down to the last detail, though perhaps the choreography of the actors when they're not actually supposed to be dancing or singing left something to be desired. I did not altogether agree with the horse waiting for them in 'The Phantom of the Opera', and I thought the actors moved too slow in that scene.

The changes; they were minimal but I agreed with almost all of them. The story actually follows through the structure implied in the theatre production - in that it is told in flashback, and the 'new' ending they gave it does not steal the sense of loss and longing, or diminish the 'haunting' effect of the production - it keeps it and amplifies it in a way. My friends said it was a bit of a cop-out and a 'hollywood ending', but I disagree. If you think about it, its all the more sorrowful and painful, yet touching and intensely delicate. If you have seen it you know what I'm talking about - I LOVED that touch, and I like Raoul's sort of acceptance of it. Its as if his entire coach ride throughout the film, purchasing the Monkey and his encounter with Madame Giry sort of helped him bury any resentment and to finally understand - as Christine once sung to him 'you will understand in time'. I felt as if, at the end of the film, he finally did.

The movie was fantastic. Fuck the critics; go to it if you're a fan, go to it if you're not, and just enjoy it. What they have done is essentially given the Phantom to those who can't afford or don't find going to theatres that easy, and they have done it tastefully, authentically and, I thought, very faithfully.

Ant.

:hug:Anthony:hug:

Thank you for that review! I'm going to see it in about an hour and I'm getting more excited as I'm reading y'alls opinions. I was getting worried when the critics were blasting it, but I was also getting pissed because they also said they didn't like the musical :shrug:. It's great to hear that REAL Phantom fans enjoyed the movie, and I'll go in an optimistic mood. :up: I'll post my review here when I get back!

I used to listen to the musical soundtrack incessantly. Will look forward to seeing this movie, albeit en francais, when it comes out here. :hyper:

great review, ant!

Thanks sula :hug: . Where r ya? I'm in the mood to talk about The Bomb again... ;)

Democrat - enjoy! I hope you do like it, and I'd be surprised if you didn't, given that you are a TRUE Phantom fan.

Ant.

wow.

wow.

wow.

That was AMAZING!!! What the heck are the critics talking about? We must be seeing a different movie. Gerard Butler's acting as phantom was outstanding, just with flicks of the eye you know if he is sad, or angry. The scenery was breathtaking, and the music will drive you to tears. Minnie Driver was priceless as Carlotta, she almost stole the show! My mom and I were crying the whole time (and I NEVER cry in movies). These were my emotions:
:hyper::sad::love::sad::hyper::sad::shocked:

If you adore the musical, you will adore the movie. Ignore those bloody critics who don't know what they're talking about :madspit:

Yes - he was quite dishy, wasn't he?:drool:

I always thought Christine had made a mistake choosing that stupid frat boy, and I'm glad the movie confirmed it - at least on a superficial level. :wink:

Minnie Driver was cool, wasn't she? Did you laugh when the Phantom dumped the entire curtain on her? Priceless. I also liked Miranda Richardson's Madame Giry and the backstory they added.. I also LOVED their moving the chandelier crashing to the end... I always thought it fitted better, then.

I SO want to see it again, but I'm stuck in Kuwait, dammit!

Ant.

U2democrat said:
PS-Gerard Butler is the f***ing sexiest deformed man I have ever seen! :drool::wink:

Ha ha, we said the same thing. :) :drool: I'd have picked the Phantom in a heart beat. He was just too sexy.

I want to see it again.

I'd go see it again with you. :wink:

U2democrat, you should read Susan Kay's "Phantom." It's an expansion/retelling of the original novel. It was written before the musical and I've always thought they might have borrowed a little from it. It's no masterpiece, but it's a fun read.

U2democrat said:
Minnie Driver was priceless as Carlotta, she almost stole the show!

Yeah, I usually don't like Minnie Driver, but she did almost steal the show. Good comic relief on her part. :up:

Its the biggest load of shit that ive EVER seen! utter garbage!
I cant believe i sat through it to be honest! waste of time! i would have watched somethin else if my friends would have agreed!

Did you like the musical? Because if you didn't like the musical I can't see why you would like the movie. :shrug: I thought it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. The Chicago Tribune gave it ****1/2 out of ****. That's what I give it too. Obviously our opinions differ.

Back
Top Bottom