Phantom of the Opera

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, if you didn't like the musical to begin with, the movie wasn't going to help you out much.

The main criticisms do seem to say that 'it was a woeful musical to begin with... and it was a woeful film; couldn't ALW have done something about some of his overly kitschy 80s numbers - Like the main title track? (That was actually from a proper, well-established paper, 'The Guardian' I think).

Well, that really is ludicrous - its supposed to be an adaptation of Webber's musical to begin with. Oh, and almost ALL make the comparison with Chicago, which is grossly unfair. Chicago made a good movie (Note, 'good' - not great, though it seemed to grant critics orgasms) because the musical is so dreadful to watch at the theatre. Yes, the music is cool enough, but the staging is perfunctory and banal; it was 'made' to be a movie.

I don't know, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I can't forgive the critics for granting such a pathetic criticism, that it resembles Webber's musical to its detriment.

They will curse the day they did not do...

Ant.

I saw it last week, and really enjoyed it. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it, cos I'd heard bad things and I'm very precious about my phantom. I thought the middle section was a little over long, but over all was very impressed

4 :up:'s from me :D
:up::up::up::up:

Back
Top Bottom