peyton manning > tom brady - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2004, 06:31 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:43 AM
My husband said on Sunday that there were no great QBs left in the game, that nobody was anything special except Peyton Manning. He said back in the 80's there were tons of greats, but not anymore, only Manning was a true great. And he is not even a Colts fan and has always bugged me about them so I consider that a huge statement from him.

Old 12-13-2004, 08:41 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

peyton is the only great qb? please. what do great QB's do? pile stats on losing teams? or win championships? or both? i guess leading your team to 2 SB in 3 years and winning the MVP in those games isnt great at all, or winning what is it, 27 or the last 28? (or 26 of the last 27? either one.) doesn't take a special leader to do that, though.

but, if you want to talk about loser quarterbacks who haven't won anything but are "great", sure, manning is a great losing quarterback. so is mcnabb, he's a great player too. vick's got great potential, so you can label him as another great qb not to win a superbowl. you could make an arguement for dante culpepper to an extent.

to say that theres no special QB aside from peyton manning is just flat out wrong.

Old 12-13-2004, 11:18 PM   #63
The Fly

Local Time: 04:43 AM
It's not about team wins or super bowls, it's about which qb has better individual football talent. Manning is tops, clearly. Not only is he better, he is shaping up one of the best seasons for a quarterback in NFL history.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:46 AM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
My husband said on Sunday that there were no great QBs left in the game, that nobody was anything special except Peyton Manning. He said back in the 80's there were tons of greats, but not anymore, only Manning was a true great.
Has your husband heard of a certain actor from Farrelly Brothers' movies named Brett Farverra?
Clearly he's near the end of his career, but I'd say he ranks as a "great" QB and he's still in the game.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:13 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Has your husband heard of a certain actor from Farrelly Brothers' movies named Brett Farverra?
Clearly he's near the end of his career, but I'd say he ranks as a "great" QB and he's still in the game.
oops,i forgot him in my post as well. i knew i left somebody from the nfc out.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:17 PM   #66
Babyface

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Jeff Hostetler has a Super Bowl ring. Sometimes it's not just about your QB. That being said, I'll still take Roethlisberger. Wait, this was about Brady/Manning, damn.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
My husband hates Brett Farve, he calls him a 'dumb hick.' He's always said he was overrated.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rupertg
It's not about team wins or super bowls, it's about which qb has better individual football talent. Manning is tops, clearly. Not only is he better, he is shaping up one of the best seasons for a quarterback in NFL history.
Very true.

for Lightning Waltz too. A lot of mediocre players have Super Bowl rings, and great players like Fran Tarkenton, Dan Marino and Dan Fouts don't.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

My husband hates Brett Farve, he calls him a 'dumb hick.' He's always said he was overrated.
While I wouldn't argue the "dumb hick" aspect, when Favre retires, he's gonna be regarded as at the very least one of the top 5 QBs in NFL history, and justifiably so.
Hicks can be great players, just look at one Larry Jo Bird, "The Hick from French Lick".
Old 12-15-2004, 09:24 AM   #70
Blue Crack Addict

Terry Bradshaw was also called a 'dumb hick' in his day. I do believe Farve will make the Hall of Fame, but I don't think he's even in the top 12 of all time much less top 5. Top 25, maybe.
Old 12-15-2004, 10:42 AM   #71
Blue Crack Addict

Just for argument's sake, post the top 12 with no Favre, and I'll see if I can refute 8 of the choices.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:56 PM   #72
Blue Crack Addict

Of all time?

In no particular order:

Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Otto Graham
Y. A. Tittle
Bart Starr
Fran Tarkenton
Terry Bradshaw (so a lot of lame guys have a SB ring but he's got 4)
Roger Staubach (though I hate Dallas)
Slingin' Sammie Baugh!
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly

I have to leave out John Elway as I cannot stand him worse than my husband dislikes Favre. I'm sure I could name some more old timers but I can't think of them right now. I left off currently active players.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:07 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

I left off currently active players.
like brady
Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #74
Blue Crack Addict

I would not have chosen him anyway. And I don't think he or Kurt Warner will ever be remembered among the greats, only maybe in a Dan Pastorini or Doug Williams type of way.

Is Ken Anderson in the hall of fame?
Old 12-16-2004, 05:11 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Of all time?

In no particular order:

Dan Marino
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
Otto Graham
Y. A. Tittle
Bart Starr
Fran Tarkenton
Terry Bradshaw (so a lot of lame guys have a SB ring but he's got 4)
Roger Staubach (though I hate Dallas)
Slingin' Sammie Baugh!
Dan Fouts
Jim Kelly

I have to leave out John Elway as I cannot stand him worse than my husband dislikes Favre. I'm sure I could name some more old timers but I can't think of them right now. I left off currently active players.
Ok I'm gonna take a little time to come up with an objective system to rank these 12, plus Elway (see this is where I think you have a problem, you leave Elway off cause you don't like him, much like your husband dislikes Favre, but its not being objective, and trust me Elway will land high up in the top 14) and Favre.
There's a couple I could just refute without stats easily, but I'll search out some stats when I have enough time later and rank them based on your normal career passing stats, plus some other things like winning percentage and playoff success (the only way Bradshaw comes close to the top 12), to try to keep it fair and objective.