peyton manning > tom brady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yay the Dolphins found a way to rattle him and he got intercepted! Brady is beatable, and if Manning can outscore him and not screw up the Colts have an excellent chance (if they meet)

There was an article in the Chicago Sun-Times yeseterday about why Ryne Sandberg shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. The author cited as a major reason the failure of any of Sandberg's teams to win any World Series.

It's horseshit, and saying Brady is better than Manning just because the Patriots have won two Super Bowls is, too.

Tom Brady is a superb quarterback who knows how to win games, just like Brett Favre. Like Favre, he's winning Super Bowls not only on that, but on the quality of his defense -- indeed, Brady is a quarterback, and thus only plays half the game. He can't win if his defense can't stop the other team.

Is it the opinion of anyone here that Tom Brady, integrated into the Colts' offense, would outperform Peyton Manning? What if Manning were similarly integrated into the Patriots' offense? Would he fail to live up to the standard set by Brady?

The only legitimate reason I see for saying Brady is superior to Manning is the one based upon their performances in the AFC championship game last year, where Manning's performance was curiously abysmal. Even so, I still regard Manning as a better quarterback, and I hope that the same is proved in the second round of these playoffs.

IndyGoGirl said:
Yay the Dolphins found a way to rattle him and he got intercepted! Brady is beatable, and if Manning can outscore him and not screw up the Colts have an excellent chance (if they meet)

he did a great job of outscoring brady today. 0 td's? nice.

knox said:

The only legitimate reason I see for saying Brady is superior to Manning is the one based upon their performances in the AFC championship game last year, where Manning's performance was curiously abysmal. Even so, I still regard Manning as a better quarterback, and I hope that the same is proved in the second round of these playoffs.

Keep hoping....

And....with three of the Pats KEY defensive players not playing....he really took advantage of it.

I tip my hat to Brady tonight!

Pats look good. Of the four teams still alive, you have to like them the best. Brady doesn't put up flashy numbers, but he is a winner. He rises to the occasion. Manning is great, but he still can't win a big game. You have to wonder whether Manning's great stats are a product of playing in the dome.

Payton Manning was the only person playing for the Colts tonight. It's no surprise that he can't throw a touchdown pass when the playcalling is reminiscent of disgraced Chicago coordinator John Shoop and all of his recievers are either shut down or incapable of catching a ball thrown to their numbers. The Patriots without a doubt had a better team, but I saw no evidence that Manning was a worse QB than Brady.

In fact, if we look at their statistics, Manning was 27/42 for 238 yards, while Brady was 18/27 144 yards. Brady had a touchdown against the abysmal Colts defense, Manning couldn't throw the ball downfield because of the Patriots' amazingly good secondary. Of course, it's all but certain that Manning would have thrown a touchdown on their only scoring drive if the clock had not been against the Colts. Manning's lone interception came on the last play of the game, a desperation throw hoping for a more respectable 20-10 score. Also recall that the Colts fumbled the ball twice, something that nobody can twist to be a strike against Manning.

Anyone who thinks that Manning isn't as good as Tom Brady because Brady has been on two championship winning teams needs to compare Brad Johnson to Dan Marino. The former won a championship, the latter never did. I'd rather have Marino than Johnson. Similarly, I'd rather have Manning than Brady.

Without Manning, I doubt the Colts would have even scored.

Last edited:
knox said:
Payton Manning was the only person playing for the Colts tonight.
Tell that to Dwight Freeney

The Patriots without a doubt had a better team, but I saw no evidence that Manning was a worse QB than Brady.
Here's your evidence: Brady won, manning lost. Brady threw for a TD, ran for a TD, and converted sveral key 3rd down passes.
manning threw 1 INT, and really it was 2, since Rhodes never had control of the ball Bruschi ripped away, so statistically it should be on Manning, but lets face it it belongs on Rhodes. And If Eugene Wilson could catch, Manning would have had another Int and the game would have been a shutout as it should have been.
Lets just compare the 2 QB's on 3rd and goal...Manning gets pressure, gets happy feet and throws the ball directly to Eugene Wilson(while not seeing 2 open receivers). Brady gets pressure, slides up and to his left, buys time and hits David givens in stride while throwing across his body for a TD.

In fact, if we look at their statistics, Manning was 27/42 for 238 yards, while Brady was 18/27 144 yards. Brady had a touchdown against the abysmal Colts defense, Manning couldn't throw the ball downfield because of the Patriots' amazingly good secondary.
Yes the amazing secondary, with the 2 top corners on IR, a rookie starting at 1 corner and a wide receiver playing the slot receiver.
Of course, it's all but certain that Manning would have thrown a touchdown on their only scoring drive if the clock had not been against the Colts. Manning's lone interception came on the last play of the game, a desperation throw hoping for a more respectable 20-10 score.
Oh yes its certain, if there were more than 3 minutes left, the Pats would have sent more than 2 pass rushers and not played prevent, Manning would never have gotten close enough to throw the end zone pick on the second to last play of the game.

Anyone who thinks that Manning isn't as good as Tom Brady because Brady has been on two championship winning teams needs to compare Brad Johnson to Dan Marino. The former won a championship, the latter never did. I'd rather have Marino than Johnson. Similarly, I'd rather have Manning than Brady.
Now this is just laughable, please bring more than this to the table if you're gonna argue...1st...Brady has 2 Superbowl championships and MVPs and may have his 3rd in 3 weeks. If you're gonna compare, Manning is marino to Brady's Montana...and no doubt in my mind or most people's, I'd take Montana over Marino every Sunday.

Without Manning, I doubt the Colts would have even scored.
As mentioned above, they scored in spite of Manning, the 3rd down throw to Eugene Wilson should have been picked (lets say the ball was "ripe for the picking"), but Wilson dropped it and Vanderjerk got to finally make a kick in Gillette.

Thanks for playing, go hit the golf course with Manning and Vandershank and enjoy your offseason yet again.

interesting the comparison of Marino to Manning....

I recognize the WHINE FACE on the screen yesterday. It was the Marino WHINE FACE.

Again, the Pats Defence is hurt. Missing three KEY players. Matched up against the supposed #1 offence.

One penalty on the Pats cost them four points.

Brady would have had 2 tds.....

[Q]And the Patriots have a better collection of players. There should be no further debate: Tom Brady is a better quarterback than Manning, no qualifiers necessary. If they were to go mano a mano in the Quarterback Challenge, my money would be on Manning, the prototypical passer. But in a competition that matters, Brady's the guy. He's 6-0 against Manning, 7-0 as a starter in the playoffs (including two wins against the Colts), and has two Super Bowl MVPs. Manning hasn't been to a Super Bowl yet. Regardless of which quarterback has the better defense and the better coach and yada yada yada, you are what your record says you are, and Brady's record versus Manning says Brady's the better quarterback. [/Q]

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/columns/story?id=1968528

It sums up this way...Peyton Manning is the best regular season, especially in a dome QB in the NFL currently.
Tom Brady is the best Championship QB in the NFL currently.

Again...eerily similar to Dan Marino and Joe Montana 15-20 yrs ago.

IndyGoGirl said:
I bet you won't have the guts to come here and post if the Colts win!

:wink: thoughts on the game? or is it you that is nowhere to be found?

Last edited:
Hewson said:
Here's your evidence: Brady won, manning lost.

Is AJ Feely a better QB than Tom Brady? According to you, he is.

Hewson said:
Brady threw for a TD, ran for a TD, and converted sveral key 3rd down passes.
manning threw 1 INT, and really it was 2, since Rhodes never had control of the ball Bruschi ripped away, so statistically it should be on Manning, but lets face it it belongs on Rhodes. And If Eugene Wilson could catch, Manning would have had another Int and the game would have been a shutout as it should have been.

It wasn't Manning's best game, I'll say that. But it's interesting that you are able to recall a dropped interception that would have gone against Manning, yet forget that Brady threw at least two balls that should have been picked, but weren't.

Brady got the job done, he's very good at that, and he's one of the better QBs in the league. Where would the Patriots have been without Dillon, though? Manning had a better passing game than Brady in terms of yardage, and average. If Dillon isn't running against the Colts defense, I don't think that the Patriots would have come near scoring 20 points.

Hewson said:
Lets just compare the 2 QB's on 3rd and goal...Manning gets pressure, gets happy feet and throws the ball directly to Eugene Wilson(while not seeing 2 open receivers). Brady gets pressure, slides up and to his left, buys time and hits David givens in stride while throwing across his body for a TD.

Yes, Peyton Manning was outperformed by Tom Brady on their only third and goals. A sample space of one play isn't really the most accurate measure of who's a better QB, especially when Manning usuall nails that play. But I agree, the Colts should have scored there, and didn't because Manning didn't keep his eyes open.

Hewson said:
Yes the amazing secondary, with the 2 top corners on IR, a rookie starting at 1 corner and a wide receiver playing the slot receiver.

I posted when I was tired, I had meant to say "surprisingly amazing" instead of just amazing.

The commentators were saying all game that nobody was open downfield, and because Manning didn't take any shots, I'll assume that they were correct. Kudos to the Patriots' secondary, but I don't see how Manning's good choice to not force balls in is a strike against him.

Hewson said:
Now this is just laughable, please bring more than this to the table if you're gonna argue...1st...Brady has 2 Superbowl championships and MVPs and may have his 3rd in 3 weeks. If you're gonna compare, Manning is marino to Brady's Montana...and no doubt in my mind or most people's, I'd take Montana over Marino every Sunday.

All I'm doing is showing that the argument that a QB on a championship team is automatically better than a QB who isn't doesn't work. A lot of people like to throw that around, and as a Cubs fan I see it a lot with regards to Joe Morgan and Ryne Sandberg.

Hewson said:
Thanks for playing, go hit the golf course with Manning and Vandershank and enjoy your offseason yet again.

There's no reason to be an asshole...

I am a fan of Peyton, but he seems to do a lot of:dance: in big games....I think the kicker may have had a point.

knox said:
Of course Feely didn't make the playoffs, and if you wanna go ahead and use that logic, Ben Roethlisberger is also better than Brady, butBrady (twice), Trent Green, Byron Leftwich and Jake Plummer (Manning did start the week 17 game) are better than Peyton. So Ok, you're right on this one.

It wasn't Manning's best game, I'll say that. But it's interesting that you are able to recall a dropped interception that would have gone against Manning, yet forget that Brady threw at least two balls that should have been picked, but weren't.
None right into a DB's belly and most importantly not in the end zone.

Brady got the job done, he's very good at that, and he's one of the better QBs in the league. Where would the Patriots have been without Dillon, though? Manning had a better passing game than Brady in terms of yardage, and average. If Dillon isn't running against the Colts defense, I don't think that the Patriots would have come near scoring 20 points.
Actually I believe if Dillon doesn't chew up so much clock, and Brady throws more against that defense the Pats score well into the 30's.

Yes, Peyton Manning was outperformed by Tom Brady on their only third and goals. A sample space of one play isn't really the most accurate measure of who's a better QB, especially when Manning usuall nails that play. But I agree, the Colts should have scored there, and didn't because Manning didn't keep his eyes open.
No, Manning has been ouperfomed by Brady every time they have opposed each other on the same field...6 head to head games, 6 wins for Brady, zero for Manning.

I posted when I was tired, I had meant to say "surprisingly amazing" instead of just amazing.
I'll let you slide here then

All I'm doing is showing that the argument that a QB on a championship team is automatically better than a QB who isn't doesn't work. A lot of people like to throw that around, and as a Cubs fan I see it a lot with regards to Joe Morgan and Ryne Sandberg.
So many people like to make it out like Brady is a chump who happens to play on a good team. Watch this team 16 games a year and you'll realize that while certainly he has a better overall team than many (though not nearly the skill position weapons that Manning has at his disposal), Brady is the leader of the team, his command of the offense and game management are superior to at least 29 starting QBs in the current NFL, its not like all he does is hand off, he delivers late game drives when needed in the clutch (including 2 Superbowl winning drives) with a calm not seen in the league since Montana.

There's no reason to be an asshole...
It was just a little fun trash talk, no reason to call me an asshole.

Hewson said:
Manning is marino to Brady's Montana...and no doubt in my mind or most people's, I'd take Montana over Marino every Sunday.

Dear GOD please tell me you're not comparing Tom Brady to Joe Montana... :yikes:

DaveC said:

Dear GOD please tell me you're not comparing Tom Brady to Joe Montana... :yikes:
Dave, he's not there yet, but if the Pats win another sb you'll have to give it consideration...Montana had how many hall of famers around him?...how many does TB?

DaveC said:

Dave, do yourself a favor before sounding uninformed, and compare the numbers from Montana's first 4 seasons to Brady's and then come back and see if your tune changes.( Besides what were you, like 8 when Montana retired? How can you knock the comparisons if you never watched the man play during his prime?)

Here's a sampling for ya, Montana from 1980-1983 vs Brady from 2001-2004:

Montana: 1032-1622, .636%, 77TD, 44INT
Brady: 1242-2015, .616%, 97TD, 52 INT

Now for playoffs, Montana led the 49ers to the playoffs twice his first 4 years, 1981 and 1983, and won 1 Superbowl in 1981
Brady has led his team to the playoffs 3 times, 2001, 2003 and 2004 and has won 2 Superbowls, 2001 and 2003 and is still alive for a 3rd.

So you see while Brady has to pla another decade before we can truly compare, he stands up quite nicely as this generation's version of Joe Montana.
All you Manning fans want to tout Peyton as this generation's Marino (I'll give you the zero championships part at least), but he has to play another 8 years or so before you can accurately compare, but his numbers thus far do match up reasonably well, and if so, Brady's numbers thru 4 seasons match up extremely well with Montana's.

the brady to montana comparison is a good one... both never put up amazingly flashly numbers, ala marino or manning, but both simply just get the job done and rarely make game costing mistakes.

that said... even if brady wins another, he's still not montana... besides the winning and efficency, montana also had some of the greatest and most memorable come-from-behind victories in NFL history... brady is arguably not even the most clutch guy on his team, as most would give that nod to the stupid idiot kicker.

SeaBass?? He likes to do a lot weirder stuff than Vandershank.
Didn't he give himself roofies once...wonder if he took advantage of himself.

Back
Top Bottom