Peter Gabrial UP - its a masterpeice! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2006, 02:17 AM   #1
New Yorker

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Peter Gabriel's UP - its a masterpeice!

Have anyone listened to peter gabriel's Up album?? I only used to like one song from that album and that was the barry williams show which is an amazing song. But then I just discovered the other songs and finding this cd to be amazing! My favorite songs on the album so far are:

1. the barry williams show
2. Darkness
3.Signal to noise
4. My head sounds like that

But all the other songs are also amazing. This is one of the first albums that I don't skip any songs in a while.

What do you guys/gals think of this album?

Old 10-24-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 PM
It's a decent album, but it goes through some very subtle and mellow stretches for a long period of time that might turn people away (or put them to sleep).

I made my own version and included "Burn You Up, Burn You Down" and "Animal Nation", two songs that are more upbeat (but recorded around the same time) and give the disc a much better mix, in my opinion. I never listen to the original anymore. I also edited together the album version of "Growing Up" with the mix found on the 2CD best of (the middle portion on the mix rocks), and I love how the disc flows now.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
New Yorker

yeah i noticed that too. Atleast that there are some mellower songs which sometimes i dont mind them. One such example is I greive but then on the 5th minute that song gets VERY upbeat and turns out to be a very good song. Its not in the same caliber as Melt of So ofcourse but i think its an awsome album. I will have to try doing what you did :-) Thanks for the tips!

Nico
Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 04:58 PM
It's an extraordinary album by general music standards

but ...

it's just a good album by Gabriel standards
Old 10-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dabiggestu2fan
yeah i noticed that too. Atleast that there are some mellower songs which sometimes i dont mind them. One such example is I greive but then on the 5th minute that song gets VERY upbeat and turns out to be a very good song. Its not in the same caliber as Melt of So ofcourse but i think its an awsome album. I will have to try doing what you did :-) Thanks for the tips!

Nico
I think the sequencing after "I Grieve" (my favorite on the album) works well - it's just the beginning that needs a little push here and there. So I did the following:

Darkness
Growing Up
Animal Nation
Sky Blue
No Way Out
Burn You Up, Burn You Down
I Grieve
The Barry Williams Show
My Head Sounds Like That
More Than This
Signal To Noise
The Drop

I like how it works.

Burn You Up, Burn You Down was originally scheduled to be on the album, but for whatever reason was taken off. Big mistake. It had single written all over it.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:58 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I haven't listened to the entire album in a long time, but I love I Grieve. I think that song ranks up there with his all-time classics.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:58 AM
I haven't listened to the ENTIRE album yet, but I've heard a lot of songs on it. I'm not a huge fan of signal to noise, but I love I Grieve, and The Drop. Is Father Son on Up? Because I really love that song too
Old 10-25-2006, 12:25 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by ponkine
It's an extraordinary album by general music standards

but ...

it's just a good album by Gabriel standards
Could not put it any better. I have to say that it is refreshing to see an artist of his years still making great and experimental music. Up is one of the top twenty or thirty albums of the past few years. I Grieve, Signal To Noise, Darkness and My Head Sound Like That are awesome songs.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
New Yorker

the more I listen to it the more i am liking it. Another song that I am starting to really like is "sky blue" and the drop. Just awsome. I also added Burn you up, burn you down and Animal Nation and am liking it lots!
Old 10-25-2006, 12:45 AM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_212
I haven't listened to the ENTIRE album yet, but I've heard a lot of songs on it. I'm not a huge fan of signal to noise, but I love I Grieve, and The Drop. Is Father Son on Up? Because I really love that song too
There is no father son in the album but i recomend you listen to the entire album. How does Father, Son sound like? I never heard this song.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I saw the tour in Vancouver(Dec. 2002) and Toronto(July 2003)

I thought B. Williams was a mistake as a first single and a video that was already a 5 year old cliche.

Has anybody here heard the SACD that includes a surround mix? I Imagine that was jaw-dropping.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by dabiggestu2fan

There is no father son in the album but i recomend you listen to the entire album. How does Father, Son sound like? I never heard this song.
Father, Son is on the 2CD retrospective Hit from 2003 (which is where Burn You Up, Burn You Down finally appeared as well). It's a very beautiful song that could also work well on Up, although with the amount of slow songs on the disc already, it might be overkill.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
I thought B. Williams was a mistake as a first single and a video that was already a 5 year old cliche.
Agreed. Despite having outdated lyrics, I like the song and would have kept it on the album still, but I definitely wouldn't have made it the first single, if a single at all. Burn You Up, Burn You Down should have been instead.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:10 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Agreed. Despite having outdated lyrics, I like the song and would have kept it on the album still, but I definitely wouldn't have made it the first single, if a single at all. Burn You Up, Burn You Down should have been instead.
I thought a 4 minute version of Growing Up would have made a good first single - especially since it was one of the obvious highlights of the live show. More Than This, the second single, also left me scratching my head.

It's quite sobering to think that PG has not had a true solo hit in about 14 years.

I still think that the Fallen music video from 1999 with Afro Celt was a great song and a bonafide hit single - also omitted from the 2002/3/4 tour, Up album and Hits package even though it's on PG's RealWorld record label.

u2fp
Old 10-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan

Father, Son is on the 2CD retrospective Hit from 2003 (which is where Burn You Up, Burn You Down finally appeared as well). It's a very beautiful song that could also work well on Up, although with the amount of slow songs on the disc already, it might be overkill.
and that would explain why I know it. I have Hit, but it and the music video are also on Play. The music video really made it mean more to me, very well done.

Barry Williams' video made me a little ill the first time I watched it