pete townshend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO Pete is a living legend that does not get as much credit as he deserves. He's up there with Lennon, Clapton, Dylan...

Bargain is about God? How so? I haven't read the lyrics in a while, maybe I should go back and do that...but if you could fill me in that would be great.

Also, someone told me Pete announced he was gay. Is that true? If it is or isn't the man is still a genius and I wouldn't like his work anyless.

Pete once said he swung both ways occasionally.

Bargain:
"I'd gladly lose me to find you, I'd gladly give up all I had.
To find you, I'd suffer anything and be glad.
I'll pay any price just to get you. I work all my life and I will.
To win you, I'd stand naked, stoned, and stabbed.
I call that a bargain, the best I ever had.
The best I ever had.
I'd gladly lose me to find you, gladly give up all I got.
To catch you, I'm gonna run and never stop. I'd pay any price just to win you, surrender my good life for bad.
To find you, I'm gonna drown an unsung man. I call that a bargain, the best I ever had. The best I ever had.
I sit looking 'round; I look at my face in the mirror. I know I'm worth nothing without you. And like one and one don't make two, one and one make one. And I'm looking for that free ride to me; I'm lookin' for you.
I'd gladly lose me to find you, gladly give up all I got.
To catch you, I'm gonna run and never stop. I'll pay any price just to win you, surrender my good life for bad, to find you, I'm gonna drown an unsung man. I call that a bargain, the best I ever had. The best I ever had.

Now, mind you, this has been transcribed as I sit here listening to the record. It reads as a well-written, yet conventional love song. But when taken in context with Pete's beliefs at the time, it is a song about man's longing for God. Read it that way and it works very well. I can tell you more if you want. but you may not want any more.
smile.gif

More please! Also, I could almost see it making sense from Jesus to a person as though it would be a bargain for him to redeem people. What do you think? However with songs like Seeker I can definitely see it going the other way too.

It's not a Christian song, although that's a very cool angle I'd never considered.
Pete was (and may still be) following Meher Baba at the time, and the lyrical imagery of the song echoes the writings of Baba: Becoming lost in God, drowning in His love, putting God above yourself, and becoming One with Him.
Listen to the lyrics of Drowned from Quadrophenia, and you'll get a clearer image. If you can get a hold of the acoustic version of Drowned from the Secret Policeman's Ball, the lyrics and the song's beauty are more readily revealed. The Secret Policeman's Ball is hard to find, but worth the effort.

Curious side question for you Martha. Do you know how the teachings of this Baba fellow are related to the teachings of the Maharishi Yogi, the guy the Beatles studied under until they became disillusioned by his hypocrisy (or at least Lennon did.)? Just a strange question from a guy into religion and matters of the Spirit.

Pete is very cool, and the Who are very cool, I love em heaps and my fave Pete moment would have to be the film clip for 'wont get fooled again', the man is amazing............that is one of my fave film clips ever, it has all the makings of supreme cool and style, the song is great, Pete does the 'windmill' thing, Keith Moon is going ballistic on the drums, Daltery is singing great, Mr Entwhistle is looking cool and chic playing the bass and their is an audience of screaming Who fans- how cool......another great clip that I love that is remaniscent of this one is Neil Young's 'Cinnamon Girl'- man o man, the end riff in that song just goes on and on and you are reminded as to how awesome that man is
smile.gif

------------------
"thankyou, thankyou, thankyou for coming out.....it's a nice place you got here, your lucky to live here.....some of our mates, ahhh, some of our mates get busted for hi-jacking aeroplanes, we get busted for wearing sandals, you know thats, thats cool.....alright thankyou for coming out and, and spending the big bucks to see Popmart, thanks alot"

Bono: Intro to 'I still havn't found what I'm looking for', ANZ Stadium Brisbane, February 25th 1998.....

Originally posted by socalu2fan:
Curious side question for you Martha. Do you know how the teachings of this Baba fellow are related to the teachings of the Maharishi Yogi, the guy the Beatles studied under until they became disillusioned by his hypocrisy (or at least Lennon did.)? Just a strange question from a guy into religion and matters of the Spirit.

They are not related. There is a fundamental difference between the two. I'm walking on eggshells here, due to past experience with Christians and this question. DO NOT take that in any offensive way; it's just that when this discussion starts, many Christians are uncomfortable with what they hear. Of course, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it (my original post about Bargain), but I'll only talk about it if you want to KNOW, not argue. OK?
I edited this because my original message blew off the question too easily.
I'll be back later this evening, and I'll check in.

[This message has been edited by martha (edited 07-26-2001).]

Can I ask questions or is that considered arguing? I'd like to hear more and I'm sorry if you had problems with Christians in the past, we seem to do that with a lot of people.

Townshend was great, but Daltrey was very underrated. Without him, the Who wouldn't have made it very far. Daltrey was the Who.

Originally posted by U2fan42:
Townshend was great, but Daltrey was very underrated. Without him, the Who wouldn't have made it very far. Daltrey was the Who.

Mmmmm... I think that the Who wouldn't have done anything without any of the four of them. Look what happened after Keith died. The band had to have all four to survive as the Who, much the same way that U2 wouldn't survive as U2 without all four members.

martha,

are you ever going to explain the difference between the two?

Originally posted by U2fan42:

While I agree Roger is underrated, Pete wrote almost everything in The Who's catalog, Daltrey got one partial song writing credit, which according to Townshend was just to appease him.(one of the early songs which currently escapes me, possibly I Can See For Miles?).
Agreed that all 4 were necessary cogs, Townshend was statistically the strongest link. Goodbye.

Originally posted by candys room:
you mean his daughter,
i cant find anything on her whats her music style? im dyin to hear her.

I have heard her sing backup vocals with her Dad (1998) also you could see her do so in video for "Face the Face"(back when MTV would play such things as rock videos), but haven't heard any of her own material. Does have a good voice.

Originally posted by candys room:
just want to say that i love this man, i wanna be the female pete townshend, is the one already ?

Pete's a bi-sexual, so there's already kind of a female Pete Townshend.
smile.gif

Great songwriter, though I think the relative failure of Quadrophenia got to him. His songs after 1973 just weren't up to par with the earlier Who material.

I agree with the earlier comments about Roger Daltrey. I'd rank him as one of the all-time great voices in rock, right up there with Bono, Freddie Mercury, Elvis and Eddie Vedder.

------------------
"Are you saying Boo, or are you saying Boo-urns?"
"Actually, I was saying Boo-ono."

Originally posted by socalu2fan:
martha,

are you ever going to explain the difference between the two?

I was in Utah, socal, but now I'm here (which was a great Queen song BTW).
ANYWAY, when you read this, keep in mind my previous caveats. The Maharishi was a guru, a teacher, and apparently something of a charlatan. Meher Baba is an avatar, God in human form on the Earth.

Wow, God in human form...that is a big difference from just being a guru. Is the man still alive? What is his purpose for being here?

There you are!
smile.gif

Baba dropped His body in 1969. His purpose for being here was the same as any other Avatar, to bring people to God. There have been other Avatars (Jesus, Mohammed, St. Francis, Moses); Baba is the most recent.

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Martha-

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I was computer-less for several days. Thank you for your answers, if I can think of anything else I will be sure to ask you. By the way, the Townsend is a great guitar player.

Hiya socal!
Anytime; I'm always lurking around, looking for an excuse to post.

You have excellent taste in guitar players.
smile.gif

------------------
...a highway with no one on it, a treasure just to look upon it...

"The skeletal structure of your foot is not normal." -- my podiatrist 8-6-01

Back
Top Bottom