Perfect Albums of the decade so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I'm Ready

War Child
By a perfect album, I mean an album where every song is good/great and everything flows logically. Basically when you can listen to an album all the way through and not find a single part where you think there could be improvement.

anyways, here is my list so far

Kid A-Radiohead
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco
Boxer-The National
Picaresque-The Decemberists
Turn on the Bright Lights-Interpol
Black Sheep Boy/Appendix-Okkervil River
Funeral-Arcade Fire

Last edited:
Agalloch: The Mantle
Alcest: Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde
Orphaned Land: Mabool
Porcupine Tree: In Absentia, Deadwing, Fear Of A Blank Planet
Pure Reason Revolution: The Dark Third

After serious consideration I submit there is no such thing as a perfect album.

Although there are several albums I always listen to straight through and love dearly, I wouldn't consider any of them completely without flaw.

indra said:

Although there are several albums I always listen to straight through and love dearly, I wouldn't consider any of them completely without flaw.

Yes.

indra said:

I agree. Music is so subjective. What's perfect to one person could be unpleasant to someone else.

RAMMSTEIN: Mutter
RAMMSTEIN: Reise Reise
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE: Songs For The Deaf
STROKES: Room on Fire

I'm Ready said:
Kid A-Radiohead
Turn on the Bright Lights-Interpol
Funeral-Arcade Fire

All excellent choices! :love:

I'd like to add...

Hopes And Fears - Keane
Scarlet's Walk - Tori Amos

Wish I could add Madonna's Confessions to that list but the song I Love NY really takes away from the experience. But that album has got great flow and is close to being perfect overall!

Well, since we already got the "Nothing's perrrrrrfect...blahhh" argument out of the way:

1. Kid A - Radiohead
2. Sea Change - Beck

Aaaaaand, that's probably it for me.

and spread the ashes of the colors
in this heart of mine.

WOO-HOO-HOO...HOO-HOO
WOO-HOO-HOO...HOO-HOO
WOO-HOO-HOO...HOO-HOO
WOO-HOO-HOO...HOO-HOO

steel drums

*tear*

:dance: :dance: :dance:

albums from this decade I particularly adore every moment of it from start to finish (no need to skip a track):

Ryan Adams - Cold Roses
Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
Radiohead - Kid A
Springsteen - Devils & Dust
The Libertines - " "
Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake
The Roots - Phrenology
Bob Dylan - Modern Times
Rufus Wainwright - Want Two
Ryan Adams - Love is Hell
Manu Chao - Proxima Estacion
Mos Def - The New Danger
Arcade Fire - Funeral

Even if you accept the idea of perfection being an exaggeration that isn't really a requirement for this list, I think not wanting to skip a track isn't quite enough to say it's close to perfect. You can have an album of songs that are all inoffensive but that might not put it over the top.

At first I was thinking there wasn't really anything that fit the bill, but then I thought a little more, and I feel confident listing these:

PJ Harvey: Stories From the City, Stories From the Sea
Sleater-Kinney: The Woods
Radiohead: Amnesiac

There are other albums this decade that I think are phenomenal or were my favorites of the year, but they each have a weak or generic track that would really prevent me from putting it on here, like the last few Super Furry Animals, last two Dylan, The Arcade Fires, etc.

Re: Re: Perfect Albums of the decade so far

Oops I meant to quote Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, not Funeral! :reject:

Re: Re: Re: Perfect Albums of the decade so far

Zootlesque said:
Oops I meant to quote Arcade Fire's Neon Bible, not Funeral! :reject:

ugh....but Neon Bible is so bad. the mastering alone makes this album far from perfect, not to mention the songs.

no ATYCLB love up in here? I guess it's not quite perfect...but it's close.

I'd go with Kid A as well...even though Treefingers itself is not remarkable, it works within the context of the album. As an album, it is perfect.

probably also Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Turn On the Bright Lights

and A Weekend in the City...Silent Alarm is close but for some reason Price of Gas doesnt do much for me :shrug:

Arcade Fire
Interpol

Their debut albums

Kid A is pretty close, but I don't really enjoy In Limbo or Kid A (the song) that much.

Runners up:
Sigur Ros ()
Ladytron: Witching Hour - It's one of the most consistent albums, but doesn't reach the great highs of Radiohead and Arcade Fire.

Last edited:
mikal said:
ugh....but Neon Bible is so bad. the mastering alone makes this album far from perfect, not to mention the songs.

I don't have Funeral. :shifty:

AtomicBono said:
no ATYCLB love up in here? I guess it's not quite perfect...but it's close.

ATYCLB sucks.

:wink: Okay, it doesn't suck but it's nowhere close to perfect imo.

elevation2u said:
Mos Def - The New Danger

The New Danger was almost 100% shit compared to the rest of the Mos Realest's stuff. Only worthwhile track on there is Ghetto Rock. This album is the equivalent to the Rolling Stones' current output; zero effort relative to previous work.

Listen to Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album with Talib Kweli and you'll see this for yourself.

elevation2u said:
i have both two you mentioned and enjoy them, but i dunno, the new danger is pretty sweet, i enjoy the album completely and it always puts me in a good mood, something i cannot say for True Magic.

:huh:

:shrug:

To each his own. The New Danger is still a hell of a lot better than 99% of what passes for hip-hop these days anyway.

DaveC said:

The New Danger was almost 100% shit compared to the rest of the Mos Realest's stuff. Only worthwhile track on there is Ghetto Rock. This album is the equivalent to the Rolling Stones' current output; zero effort relative to previous work.

Listen to Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album with Talib Kweli and you'll see this for yourself.

dude its all about some fuckin ZIMZALLABIM

I like The New Danger a lot. I wouldn't call it perfect but it's far from shit. I'd say it's on par with Black on Both Sides...I haven't heard Black Star. The New Danger should at least get credit for being innovative in the variety of beats used. I know Mos isn't the first rapper to use rock and blues and stuff in beats, but I think he pulls it off well, and like I said...tons of variety. I do think the album has a unique feel to it.

man I forgot about The Fall of Troy...Doppelganger is a perfect album :drool:

Back
Top Bottom