Perfect Albums of the decade so far

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DaveC said:

The New Danger was almost 100% shit compared to the rest of the Mos Realest's stuff. Only worthwhile track on there is Ghetto Rock. This album is the equivalent to the Rolling Stones' current output; zero effort relative to previous work.

Listen to Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album with Talib Kweli and you'll see this for yourself.

Yes.

DaveC said:

The New Danger was almost 100% shit compared to the rest of the Mos Realest's stuff. Only worthwhile track on there is Ghetto Rock. This album is the equivalent to the Rolling Stones' current output; zero effort relative to previous work.

Listen to Black on Both Sides and the Black Star album with Talib Kweli and you'll see this for yourself.

dude its not his most consistent work but its far from shit..

Also, this thread gets points for mentioning Ladytron :up:

I'm more of a 604 guy, though...

Prez gorite, prez poliata,
pod zvezdite, nad zhitata!

*Dumka-dumka-dumka-dumka*

jacobus said:
RAMMSTEIN: Mutter
RAMMSTEIN: Reise Reise
QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE: Songs For The Deaf
STROKES: Room on Fire

I was just listening to Songs for the Deaf a few minutes ago, actually. It's awesome, to say the least.

And I'll throw a few out there. In descending order...

Peter Gabriel - Up (OMG... love it)
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea (the best indie album ever. It's more emotional for me than pretty much any album. Including U2)
Blur - 13
Blur - Think Tank
Andrew Bird - Andrew Bird's Mysterious Production of Eggs (amazing)
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha (amazing)
Tool - Aenima
Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise

All of you should go out and buy these albums because I said so.

I feel that I should clarify for the people listing albums like Kid A, 13, and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea that "the decade so far" sort of only includes the years from 2001 to the present. Contrary to popular belief, 1999 was actually in the '90s.

And Aenima, which came out eleven years ago, is older than some of the people posting on these boards, I think...! :wink:

If you shout... said:
I feel that I should clarify for the people listing albums like Kid A, 13, and In the Aeroplane Over the Sea that "the decade so far" sort of only includes the years from 2001 to the present. Contrary to popular belief, 1999 was actually in the '90s.

And Aenima, which came out eleven years ago, is older than some of the people posting on these boards, I think...! :wink:

Didn't Kid A come out in 2000? Is 2000 not a part of this decade? :huh: I always thought the decade started in the year that ended in 0...

But yeah Aenima... :lol: (or AEnema or however you choose to spell it today :wink: )

I suppose Lateralus is close to perfect...it has some filler tracks though. But it's Tool's best album.

If you shout... said:
"the decade so far" sort of only includes the years from 2001 to the present. Contrary to popular belief, 1999 was actually in the '90s.

um did the Y2K bug bite you or something? :wink:

Without opening up a whole argument about semantics, it's pretty idiotic to talk about albums of the 00's without including...00. For example, the decade might end with 1980, but 1980 is still in "the 80's".

Besides, we're using arbitrary marking points to separate eras of recording which really aren't there. Is the music in 1999 so different from 2000, or 2000 from 2001? It's ludicrous to discount Kid A from nomination from such a technicality. Personally, I don't think Kid A is even close to perfect, though I'd consider voting for Amnesiac (and yes, I know this is an unpopular opinion, though people are too idiotic to admit had Amnesiac come out first they'd like it better instead, and BTW the Amnesiac version of Morning Bell's emotional transcendence totally trumps the cold paranoia of the Kid A version).

I read this thread title as 2000--present, which is what most people would assume.

Also, as much as I love Blur, no way either of their last two are perfect or close to it. They're too experimental and creative to settle for perfection, if that makes any sense. The same goes for Peter Gabriel, though I would say Us (from the 90's, I know it's disqualified) is pretty close to perfect.

I won't argue with Neutral Milk Hotel. One of the best suggestions so far.

lazarus said:

Personally, I don't think Kid A is even close to perfect, though I'd consider voting for Amnesiac (and yes, I know this is an unpopular opinion, though people are too idiotic to admit had Amnesiac come out first they'd like it better instead, and BTW the Amnesiac version of Morning Bell's emotional transcendence totally trumps the cold paranoia of the Kid A version).

I won't argue with Neutral Milk Hotel. One of the best suggestions so far.

I agree that Amnesiac morning bell is better than Kid A amnesiac, but I think the reason (myself included) that most Radiohead fans like Kid A over Amnesiac is because Amnesiac contains a couple weird transitional stuff like pulk/pull and hunting bears, and I'm not a fan of Dollars and Cents so thats 3 weaknesses of Amnesiac compared to just 1 of Kid A (In my opinion)

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't In the Aeroplane Over the Sea come out in 1998?

PRoMenADeZoO said:
Dream Theater - Train Of Thought
Dream Theater - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
Neal Morse - One
Edison Glass - A Burn Or A Shiver
Thrice - Vheissu

Hey Prog fan!:flirt: *currently listening to some Spocks's Beard myself* meanwhile my husband is downstairs watching "aqua teen hunger force":yikes:

loverippedaway said:
The Cure- Bloodflowers
Brand New- The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Depeche Mode- Playing the Angel
A.F.I- Sing the Sorrow

I :heart: you! Devil and God and STS are definitely two of my favorite albums of the decade, there are no really weak tracks. I also :heart: whoever mentioned Vheissu, it's one of Thrice's strongest albums and I enjoy it from start to finish. I mean, does it get any better than ending on Red Sky? :drool:

There's no perfect album, but here are some that are pretty damn close for me:

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Beck - Sea Change
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
Coldplay - Parachutes
Muse - Absolution
The White Stripes - Elephant

U2 - HTDAAB
Beck - Sea Change
Radiohead - Kid A
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Spoon - Girls Can Tell
Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better
The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
The White Stripes - Elephant

:drool: Fun.

Radiohead - Kid A
Arcade Fire - Funeral
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
HUM - Downward is Heavenward

None are "perfect", but those are on my lists as classics.

Do You Realize is the new Imagine.

Flight Test, Summertime, Yoshimi, In the Morning of the Magicians...that album is brilliant. I also like the newest album, but it's no Yoshimi. A lot of people prefer the Soft Parade - I don't feel that though. Soft Parade is great, but lacking at times. Yoshimi never stops.

UberBeaver said:
Do You Realize is the new Imagine.

Flight Test, Summertime, Yoshimi, In the Morning of the Magicians...that album is brilliant. I also like the newest album, but it's no Yoshimi. A lot of people prefer the Soft Parade - I don't feel that though. Soft Parade is great, but lacking at times. Yoshimi never stops.

100% agree. :up:

Mystics is a solid album, better than Soft Parade, but just can't match Yoshimi. Yoshimi's tied with Clouds Taste Metallic as my fave F'lips album.

From down south...

Our New Orleans -- every song worth listening to from a city whose heart was broken two years ago

The River in Reverse -- two great artists, Elvis Costello and Allen Toussaint, in an album full of rage and rhythm.

Radiohead: Kid A
Sigur Rós: ( )
Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Autechre: Confield
Boards of Canada: Geogaddi

Scarlet's Walk by Tori Amos would be on there if it wasn't for Crazy. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom