PEPSI you DOUCHEBAG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pinball Wizard

Refugee
I've been outraged over the bastardization of Jimi Hendrix in the latest corporate schillery from Pepsi Co. Now how you say, does this commercial differ from other posthumous exploitations? Well, the Hoover commercials didn't imply Fred Astaire's dancing talent was a product of some serendipitous coincidence with a vacuum cleaner... that the two fates were bound.

No, this Pepsi commercial goes beyond decency and disrespect. It's the dishonouring of an artist with no penchant for product-association. To my knowledge this wasn't done at the permission of Hendrix's estate... and why would it be? Does it present a positive towards his legacy?

Maybe I'm just a purist, but trying to forge a connection between a softdrink and a creative journey is deplorable. If it was a commercial for some sort of opiate, I might have fewer reservations...

:sexywink:

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've been wondering why my guitar skills have sucked lately, not enough Pepsi.

Seriously though, what an idiotic commercial. I'm sure they thought it was clever and cute, never realizing what they were implying. Disrespectful to the mizzax.

Pepsi, prepare to be firebombed. (I'll blame all my firebombing skills on drinking your product, sweet irony!)

This ad had a debut date of, oh, the Super Bowl (JAN04).

Anyway..I had a similar reaction...earlier this year.

And remember:

"And how much will he pay for a brand new guitar,
One which he'll ruthlessly smash at the end of another show?
And how long will the workers keep building him new ones?
As long as their soda cans are red, white, and blue ones."

As long as their soda cans are red, white and blue ones!

i never have had the misfortune of seeing this (as i still have my ears intact).

i knew this was a cu-ho thread from the title :up:

The Paul Masson company is preparing a similar commercial for next year's Superbowl (gotta love commentary on things 6 months after they air) showing a young Jim Morrison choosing their wine (before its time no less) instead of Clos Du Bois and it just so happens to be next to an LSD laboratory.

I haven't seen this commercial...but I think advertising opiates on t.v. is very :up:

Hewson said:
showing a young Jim Morrison choosing their wine (before its time no less) instead of Clos Du Bois and it just so happens to be next to an LSD laboratory.

i don't get it.

like, they're saying jim chooses cheap wine over lsd or what?

One. Diet Pepsi is so much better than diet coke it makes me blather ad nauseum just think about it.

Two. Coke is probably than regular Pepsi, but i don't know because I don't drink it.

Three. Maybe it's a little disrespectful or something, but I personally thought it was one of the funniest commercials I've seen in a while. Maybe that's just cause I like accordians though. I've also related the contents of the commercial to many friends and relatives and all have thought it was funny and never made mention of it being disrespectful.

But they may have been just humouring me, as it were, it's very hard to say no to this face.

edit: and it doesn't say anything about pepsi, or anything about guitar. But good. because if they told us it tasted good that wouldn't make one lick of difference in it being an effective commercial or not, because it's not based on taste or anything anyway. Image. And that's just the way ads are now. Informative ads are fairly boring (with some exceptions).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom