People who would not be famous if their parents weren't famous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2Kitten

Blue Crack Addict
I know, of course, you can say this is just opinion, but really now, don't you ever think that some people might not have gotten famous on their own if not for their name or coattails of already famous parents? The first one that comes to mind is Ben Stiller. The second is Stella McCartney. Oh sure, they might be good, but millions of people are good and don't get anywhere because they have nothing to help them break in. Does anyone really believe Stella would have made head of a fashion designing company at barely 30 years old if she didn't have the advantage of a rich famous dad? Add some more to the list, you know they're there!

The one that did NOT get help from a famous parent is Jakob Dylan. When the Wallflowers first came out, a lot of people were surprised to find out he was Dylan's son, and had even bought the album having no idea until I told them. From what I heard, Bob and Jakob are not that close and he did nothing to help him. So there is that side of it too.

Haha yeah. Which one did the Saltwater tears song? Sean or ...the other one...lol.

Lisa Marie Presley would not be famous.
Nor Kelly Osbourne. Or Jack for that matter.

and now I see Lisa Marie's 14 year old daughter is already a runway model :rolleyes: so is Mick Jagger and Jerry Hall's daughter.

I have to add the Hiltons. And that other bimbo, Lionel Ritchie's daughter. They literally aren't known for doing anything except who their fathers are.

Can I add GW as well?
:lmao:

It's a joke...dont yell at me :D

Yes, George W. Bush is at the top of the list!!!!!!

I agree about Ben Stiller, because his big break came with The Ben Stiller show, which was hilarious but didn't last but half a season. I would hardly call Jerry Stiller and Ann Myra (sp?) players in the Hollywood community circa 1990, so I think Ben made it on his own (with a little help...but who doesn't have help with connection?).

Michael Douglas
Sophia Coppola
Ron Reagan Jr.
William Baldwin
Stephan Baldwin
Daniel Baldwin
Nicolas Cage
Alison Eastwood
Carrie Fisher
Sean Astin
Nicole Kidman (without Cruise she'd be half the star she is today)
Catherine Zeta-Jones (without Douglas she'd be a has-been)

Firstly can I ask, who is Ben Stiller's dad????

I think the main area to point out is that some of these famous offspring are actually quite talented and in nearly all circumstances in life a lot of people's opportunites come about by who they know. I think that people like Michael Douglas and Sophia Coppola are talented and I dont be-grudge them for where they are in life. However when I see that bimbo Paris Hilton, Lisa-Marie Presley (has she ever done anything, apart from being Elvis' daughter??) or the Osbourne kids it irks me big time that they are doing what they are by way of their parents and the fact that they have zero talent, obviously shows that not always does talent or class run in some families:)

Michael Douglas
Sophia Coppola
Ron Reagan Jr.
William Baldwin
Stephan Baldwin
Daniel Baldwin
Nicolas Cage
Alison Eastwood
Carrie Fisher
Sean Astin
Nicole Kidman (without Cruise she'd be half the star she is today)
Catherine Zeta-Jones (without Douglas she'd be a has-been)

Get a grip, son.

:shrug: I agree with all the suggestions - especially in music lots of famous parents - but:

I think Gwyneth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman established themselves as good actresses without help - remember, Kidman got her acting break AFTER the divorce. And Michael Douglas too is a good actor. They all got Oscars.

As for Nicolas Cage - again, a very good actor - has the last name Cage exactly because he doesn't want to be associated with the director Coppola.

(i don't know the Dad Balwin, only the brothers Baldwin - of which Alec is the best known)

I don't know if having a famous parent helps or not (if you're in the same profession, probably not a good thing), maybe in some cases it does - I do believe Stella McCartney is a talented fashion designer and deserved a shot at designing.

I saw a video from Julian Lennon once, and it's almost spooky how similar his looks and voice are to his father's. If there'd ever been a substitute singer with the Beatles, he ought to get the position IMO.

Last edited:
In defence of my dearly beloved Nic Cage, he apparently hid his identity when trying to make his break and no one really had any idea until he got more well known.

Yup. I was just about to say that angie. And I don't even like Nic Cage. But he DID change his name so he wouldn't be known as a member of the Coppola family. Kudos to him.

Who is Sean Astin related to??

Don't forget Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Anniston and JFK Jr (any of the Kennedy kids, for that matter). Also, isn't Kevin Costner's son doing some acting.

Back
Top Bottom