People good with computers/internet...please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Here's my problem:
We were recently hooked up to comcast wireless internet, which is great BUT
On my laptop my connection gets cut off every three minutes! a little bubble pops up and says "more than one wireless network available click here for details" and when that comes up my connection is cut off. I believe my neighbor's wireless internet is interfering and that could be why...does anyone have any clue how to fix this? Or should i just go to a computer place to fix it...

That exact same thing happens to me ALL the time. I don't know what causes it other than what you said, interference from someone else's wireless connection but I usually do one of three things:

Restart my computer, which resets my wireless connection

Go into control panel, open the "network connection" tab and enable the correct connection (for some reason, it becomes disabled when the other signal interferes)

Shut off my laptop in disgust and go upstairs to my PC, which has a direct connect to the high speed modem :wink:

wow i'm glad i'm not the only one with this problem. it's so annoying! My PC works just fine as well. I wonder if my neighbor also has this problem with mine interfering with his.....

Windows XP users should download Service Pack 2, which has vastly improved wireless networking capabilities. Of course, then that opens a whole other can of worms, in itself. However, I'm running XP SP2 right now on a wireless connection.

Short fix that has usually worked for me, though: set your "preferred" network and let it connect automatically. Shut down the computer and turn it back on.

Melon

I have no experience with wireless as I've never used it, but I've seen computers get confused when they move between multiple network connections (like DSL at home and then the network on campus). Usually, we right click on the connection and do a Repair so that the computer has to release/renew its IP address. I have no idea if this is even an option for wireless though, but with "wired" computers it often prevents having to restart.

Back
Top Bottom