Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"lol, that's funny! Yeah, alright, I just came home from work, so I'm pretty tired. I'm on 'practicum' at the moment in school, so looking forward to a hectic week!"

Not sure about 'practicum', my mind immediately jumped to 'practical' (as in a practical study) but I couldn't be sure, and I am EXTREMELY tired at the moment (ask me why, I dare you :tongue: )

Trufax: I went downstairs earlier to get something to drink and this conversation occurred
Me: Mom, I've made a decision and I need you to support me in it
Mom: Uh......what is it?
Me: I'm going to Marry Jack Nicholson
Mom: NO DON'T YOU DO THAT TO ME
Me *while walking into the kitchen*: You mean you wouldn't support me?
Mom *Quite flustered*: No and you know--
Mike (Step-dad): :lmao:
Me: Know what? Did you get stood up by Jack Nicholson or something? Did he break your heart mom?
Mike: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Mom: Stop it, Mike. No everyone always makes fun of me, because he's the only one really
Me: :huh:
Mom: He's like the only actor I've ever had a crush on
Me: :ohmy: YOU HAVE A CRUSH ON JACK NICHOLSON?! WTF? Who does that?

"lol, that's funny! Yeah, alright, I just came home from work, so I'm pretty tired. I'm on 'practicum' at the moment in school, so looking forward to a hectic week!"

Not sure about 'practicum', my mind immediately jumped to 'practical' (as in a practical study) but I couldn't be sure, and I am EXTREMELY tired at the moment (ask me why, I dare you :tongue: )

She's a teacher in training, i presume practicum is some type of term related to that.

OK Chass, why are you extremely tired? Did you just get back from the Gay and Lesbian Kingdom of the Coral Sea Islands?

I was just doing some reading back and saw the discussion on texting/using an iPod when talking with people.

It shits me off so much. Even when i'm getting on the bus i'll take my headphones off when it's time to interact with the driver, and that's if i even bother with listening to something when i'm not on the bus.

And texting when you're talking to someone: i can't bear this. And when you see it happening to others, it looks terrible.

Viva La Vida.

Trams
Melbourne trams
Colonial Tramcar Restaurant
Tramways
Tunnels
Railways
Connex Melbourne
V/Line
Comeng train
Siemens train
Tunnels
Flinders Street Station
Spencer Street Station
Thomas The Tank Engine
Hot, dirty trains
Viva La Tunnels
Tunnels La Vida
Viva Tunnels Vida

I know I often discuss Kate in the context of "this was aggravating, why did I put up with that?", but one point we very much agreed on was the quality or lack thereof in people studying to be teachers. Kate is going to be a teacher, and last year, just about every week she had some horror story of idiots in her course. It seemed to me, and she thoroughly agreed with this assessment, that the current strategies to get more people into teaching don't work very well, because by making courses easier to get into (through lower tuition fees and less rigorous academic requirements), it just attracts people who can't get into anything else, rather than people who have a passion for teaching and would be good teachers.

Not saying it's the case with your friend, of course, but good god, we need teachers who value a high quality of communication!

I know I often discuss Kate in the context of "this was aggravating, why did I put up with that?", but one point we very much agreed on was the quality or lack thereof in people studying to be teachers. Kate is going to be a teacher, and last year, just about every week she had some horror story of idiots in her course. It seemed to me, and she thoroughly agreed with this assessment, that the current strategies to get more people into teaching don't work very well, because by making courses easier to get into (through lower tuition fees and less rigorous academic requirements), it just attracts people who can't get into anything else, rather than people who have a passion for teaching and would be good teachers.

Not saying it's the case with your friend, of course, but good god, we need teachers who value a high quality of communication!

I see where you're coming from. She's actually a great communicator but a lazy typist. Given she probably won't be having internets chats with her students, it's probably not a big thing.

I was just doing some reading back and saw the discussion on texting/using an iPod when talking with people.

It shits me off so much. Even when i'm getting on the bus i'll take my headphones off when it's time to interact with the driver, and that's if i even bother with listening to something when i'm not on the bus.

YES. I always, ALWAYS take off my headphones when I use the bus (it's not necessary for the tram or train now that conductors and guards don't exist). Or at the supermarket, I see a lot of people cruise through with their headphones on and don't even seem to think to turn it off. Personally? I'll always take off my headphones when at the deli or the check-out or at any other time when I need to interact with staff. Usually I just take them off when I get to the deli and don't put them back on until I'm walking back to the tram. Sure, the music in Coles is pretty shit and their ads even worse, but I can put up with that for 5 minutes rather than fiddling around to put my headphones back on multiple times.

I see where you're coming from. She's actually a great communicator but a lazy typist. Given she probably won't be having internets chats with her students, it's probably not a big thing.

I'd still be concerned that somebody who's a lazy typist will in turn not exactly encourage good written communication habits in their students. Certainly it troubles me that lazy typing is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom