Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I couldn't care less about that level of picture quality, except for certain films that need to look as good as possible in order to get the greatest enjoyment possible out of them.

First thing I would want to own would be Indy and Star Wars :lol:

I love people that are movie, music and sports nuts. The book nut part is too rare, so I look for the above trifecta. :)

Khan, I can explain if you want re: the Comcast/HDTV thing.

I'm more of the first 2 than the latter, although I do love me some pro hoops. Pop's just a sports guy and my mom's split between music and movies to a certain degree.

And El-Mel, this is true. I would've sprung for the new Close Encounters DVD release if it weren't so goddamn expensive, I already have it on VHS, but that just don't cut it. I hate Pan & Scan. I hate it very much.

My irritation with HD really is miniscule, I own an HDTV, I'm planning on buying a DVD/VCR that converts everything up to HD, so, I may not like it, but I am conforming
i have an upconverter as well. it's definitely not hd quality, i guess there's a little bit of a difference. but i didn't buy that for that reason, i bought it because it burns dvds.

Khan, I can explain if you want re: the Comcast/HDTV thing.
if you want. i'm just nosey :uhoh:

My father bought an HDTV about two years ago, and HD a year ago. That's right, one year without HD on an HDTV.

I enjoy it. The quality for sports is so good.

I hate Pan & Scan. I hate it very much.
oh jesus christ. i hate pan and scan. someone bought me a fullscreen dvd once and i was like wtf...you know i hate that shit. pan and scan just ruins the whole movie for me, with that stupid moving across the screen from character to character.

don't even get me started on people buying hdtvs and then going into the settings for their hd receiver and putting it on pillar box (aka 4:3 fullscreen).

i have an upconverter as well. it's definitely not hd quality, i guess there's a little bit of a difference. but i didn't buy that for that reason, i bought it because it burns dvds.

Yeah, I'm buying it because
1) It's just under $200 which is nice
2) I want to rip my VHS to DVD
3) It can do so in at least slightly higher quality

I like the song "If I Can't Have You" by Yvonne Elliman, I admit it. I like some disco, whatever.

Yeah, I'm buying it because
1) It's just under $200 which is nice
2) I want to rip my VHS to DVD
3) It can do so in at least slightly higher quality
those are the same reasons i bought mine :up:

i've yet to go converting all my tapes to dvd, as it seems pointless. eventually when i get my vcr out of storage though, i'm going to record everything on my tivo (which is at near full capacity, fuck) onto dvd for posterity.

oh jesus christ. i hate pan and scan. someone bought me a fullscreen dvd once and i was like wtf...you know i hate that shit. pan and scan just ruins the whole movie for me, with that stupid moving across the screen from character to character.

don't even get me started on people buying hdtvs and then going into the settings for their hd receiver and putting it on pillar box (aka 4:3 fullscreen).

Full Screen DVDs baffle me. I guess people hate the black bars too much. You know what's worse, ordering a movie online and unknowingly getting it in Full Screen... and Canadian. Thanks for my French Canadian release of Big Lebowski, Half.com. It's no big deal, just the cover has some French on it.

Speaking of VHS tapes, I caught Be Kind Rewind today. Entertaining enough movie, pretty goofy. I love Michel Gondry as a director, but I found his writing to be lacking. The cast was pretty good, but I'm a fan of the principals (Jack Black, Mos Def, Danny motherfucking Glover, and Mia Farrow), so that made it easier. It's worth checking out at least once.

I have a friend that literally wants to fight anyone that likes full screen DVD's, and, he's a very calm type of person normally. It drives him berserk.

My brothers. All three of them. "The screen is smaller!" they say. "The picture is better and you can see more," I say. "But it's smaller: you see less!" they say.

Full Screen DVDs baffle me. I guess people hate the black bars too much. You know what's worse, ordering a movie online and unknowingly getting it in Full Screen... and Canadian. Thanks for my French Canadian release of Big Lebowski, Half.com. It's no big deal, just the cover has some French on it.

Speaking of VHS tapes, I caught Be Kind Rewind today. Entertaining enough movie, pretty goofy. I love Michel Gondry as a director, but I found his writing to be lacking. The cast was pretty good, but I'm a fan of the principals (Jack Black, Mos Def, Danny motherfucking Glover, and Mia Farrow), so that made it easier. It's worth checking out at least once.
ugh. now see, i don't get why there's separate releases for the two formats anyway. if someone just HAS to have fullscreen, it should be available as one dvd. i have many dvds like this where one side is widescreen, one is fullscreen. to me it's a suitable compromise, as this way there's not two versions of the same movie out there, which can be annoying in situations like yours with the big lebowski.

ugh. now see, i don't get why there's separate releases for the two formats anyway. if someone just HAS to have fullscreen, it should be available as one dvd. i have many dvds like this where one side is widescreen, one is fullscreen. to me it's a suitable compromise, as this way there's not two versions of the same movie out there, which can be annoying in situations like yours with the big lebowski.

That makes sense in practice, but I hate having the two-sided discs. I'll either scratch the hell out of one side, or not know which is which. There are plenty where you can choose the format (I know my Big Trouble in Little China DVD does), then there's some that have both versions as separate discs, which I had never seen before until today with the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD.

I wish I could cut the black bars on the HDTV, but it still messed with the aspect ratio anyway.

I'm heading off to bed soon.

By the way: I don't need Dalton's trident anymore after tonight.

That makes sense in practice, but I hate having the two-sided discs. I'll either scratch the hell out of one side, or not know which is which. There are plenty where you can choose the format (I know my Big Trouble in Little China DVD does), then there's some that have both versions as separate discs, which I had never seen before until today with the Glengarry Glen Ross DVD.

I wish I could cut the black bars on the HDTV, but it still messed with the aspect ratio anyway.
oh believe me, i agree, but to me it's less annoying than buying (or receiving) a dvd only to find out it's the fullscreen version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom