Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My day would be incomplete if I could not devote at least two hours to something I love.

Well, yeah, but I don't love movies. I like them, sure, and I've enjoyed plenty. But I don't love them enough to regularly cut over two hours out of my day for them.

Plus, I just get very restless simply staring at a screen. I realise that may seem funny coming from a guy with over 50,000 posts. But a movie, I'm just sitting there, watching. That's it. On the computer, I'm interacting - I'm typing, I'm checking multiple pages at once, I'm reading and thinking about what I'm reading, I'm listening to music, etc.

blade runner.

I gotta admit, I didn't like the movie that much with that goddamn narration. It just messes with the tone of the film and completely ruins Batty's death scene. When I saw The Director's Cut, however, my opinion changed.

The Final Cut doesn't improve upon much from the The Director's Cut, but it's still my favorite cut. Haven't seen the International one, however.

Yes, GREAT touch. Wow, sorry you missed the end. That happened with me as a kid with the original Planet of the Apes. Fucking tape ended towards the end....so, for years, I had no idea how it ended, but, no big deal, they just encounter the Statue of Liberty. Fuck.

Holy shit, that really sucks.

I wish my old tape of A.I. ended when Haley Joel Osment was stuck under the sea. I think it was Spielberg's greatest dramatic achievement up until that point. The last half hour of Schindler's List takes it out of the running, with Liam Neeson breaking down out of nowhere.

I gotta admit, I didn't like the movie that much with that goddamn narration. It just messes with the tone of the film and completely ruins Batty's death scene. When I saw The Director's Cut, however, my opinion changed.

The Final Cut doesn't improve upon much from the The Director's Cut, but it's still my favorite cut. Haven't seen the International one, however.
same here. the versions i watched are: international theatrical release, director's cut, and final cut. out of them all, i prefer the final cut, but the director's cut wasn't bad. and that narration just fucked it all up. i'd rather just decipher things based upon his facial expressions, etc.

on a sort of similar note, foreign films. i couldn't imagine watching them dubbed in english. it's nice to just kind of watch the movie, because it's certainly distracting to follow the subtitles. although since i usually watch german films, it helps me be not-so-rusty on that :hmm:

I sort of feel the same way, but for certain movies, it's totally worth it.

And I can only listen to SO MUCH music in one day. Other mediums are worth my time as well.

See, for me, pretty much from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed, I have music on, even if it's just in the background. I only turn it off when I'm making/eating dinner, which I co-ordinate to be at the time stuff I like is on TV. Or sometimes I'll turn it off if it's distracting me, like when I'm studying and trying to memorise things. I'm not that big on silence, or at least what passes for silence in the inner suburbs. I'm sure if I lived in the country and could sit out in the backyard with a book or a laptop or whatever and could enjoy the sounds of nature, I'd have music on a lot less.

same here. the versions i watched are: international theatrical release, director's cut, and final cut. out of them all, i prefer the final cut, but the director's cut wasn't bad. and that narration just fucked it all up. i'd rather just decipher things based upon his facial expressions, etc.

on a sort of similar note, foreign films. i couldn't imagine watching them dubbed in english. it's nice to just kind of watch the movie, because it's certainly distracting to follow the subtitles. although since i usually watch german films, it helps me be not-so-rusty on that :hmm:

That reminds me, I rented a Beat Takeshi movie tonight. There's no way for me to multi tasking while watching a film in japanese

I could not watch a dubbed film. I saw The Lives of Others in the theater and after 15 minutes you forget that you're reading while you watch. What a film.

So I suppose if I value this possible internship, I should stay away from my true feelings for Blade Runner :uhoh:
:rant:

See, for me, pretty much from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to bed, I have music on, even if it's just in the background. I only turn it off when I'm making/eating dinner, which I co-ordinate to be at the time stuff I like is on TV. Or sometimes I'll turn it off if it's distracting me, like when I'm studying and trying to memorise things. I'm not that big on silence, or at least what passes for silence in the inner suburbs. I'm sure if I lived in the country and could sit out in the backyard with a book or a laptop or whatever and could enjoy the sounds of nature, I'd have music on a lot less.
i used to be like that, back when i was unemployed. i definitely don't listen to as much music as i used to, but of course there's nothing wrong with listening to music constantly.

i only worry about people who like total silence. i've gotta have SOMETHING on at all times. the only time i don't is when i'm asleep/trying to sleep.

I'm really glad you liked that movie as well.

I hate English dubs, unless it's those old kung fu or Godzilla movies, that just adds to the fun.

I unknowingly taped an English dub of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and was really hyped to see it, but had to delete it because of my dislike for dubs. It's hard to take it seriously, you know?

I could not watch a dubbed film. I saw The Lives of Others in the theater and after 15 minutes you forget that you're reading while you watch. What a film.
exactly. plus it distracts me to have totally different people doing the voices, once i know something like that, i can't get it out of my head that the voice doesn't match the person. it's like that multi-grain cheerios commercial. once i found out it was dubbed, it was all over.

i used to be like that, back when i was unemployed. i definitely don't listen to as much music as i used to, but of course there's nothing wrong with listening to music constantly.

i only worry about people who like total silence. i've gotta have SOMETHING on at all times. the only time i don't is when i'm asleep/trying to sleep.

I can go without music for a while. It's not on all the time, but I guess if I lived alone it might be going at least 12 hours a day. Right now it's more like 9 or 10.

I'm really glad you liked that movie as well.

I hate English dubs, unless it's those old kung fu or Godzilla movies, that just adds to the fun.

I unknowingly taped an English dub of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and was really hyped to see it, but had to delete it because of my dislike for dubs. It's hard to take it seriously, you know?

and yeah, comical dubs are totally different. they're hilarious. when done right, at least.

:rant:

I like total silence occasionally. Of course, if I'm reading a book, there's total silence, too, but that does not count. I usually have music on if I'm not reading or watching a movie.....but, every now and then, it's nice to sit on my balcony and just take in nat sound.

Axver, I guess I just can sit still for two hours.

I must admit, my lack of an attention span for movies kind of perplexes me. I'll disappear for hours with a good book. Sometimes I don't get enough sleep because three hours just vanish before I can put the bloody thing down. But movies? The whole "that's two hours, and I may not even like it, and I've got other stuff I'd like to do" argument tends to win out a lot.

I must admit, my lack of an attention span for movies kind of perplexes me. I'll disappear for hours with a good book. Sometimes I don't get enough sleep because three hours just vanish before I can put the bloody thing down. But movies? The whole "that's two hours, and I may not even like it, and I've got other stuff I'd like to do" argument tends to win out a lot.

Hey, man, to each their own, of course.....I cannot imagine my life without music, film, sports and books. I can do without any of the first three for a few days at a time (I can never not read), but, could not imagine a long-term absence of any of them.

I like total silence occasionally. Of course, if I'm reading a book, there's total silence, too, but that does not count. I usually have music on if I'm not reading or watching a movie.....but, every now and then, it's nice to sit on my balcony and just take in nat sound.
some of us don't have balconies :grumpy: that is relaxing though, i should do that more with our deck, but i just don't.

i will say nothing is more relaxing to me than hearing the ocean. whenever i'm on vacation at a beach, which isn't too often, i always make it a point to stand on the balcony and listen to the waves, and sleep with the windows open if at all possible.

I can go without music for a while. It's not on all the time, but I guess if I lived alone it might be going at least 12 hours a day. Right now it's more like 9 or 10.

Ah, yeah, living with other people would certainly make a difference. When I lived in Brisbane with a flatmate, I didn't play quite so much music. Now that I live by myself, music is often the substitute for talking to somebody while doing boring chores or cooking dinner if nothing's on TV or whatever.

I wanted to like Blade Runner. I tried to like Blade Runner. I even watched Blade Runner a second time immediately after the first because I was so surprised that I didn't like Blade Runner. Until I saw Frantic, this was the first Ford film I just couldn't get into.

That being said, the ending was f*in epic.

No MP3 players allowed at work? Your employers are douchebags.

Or maybe just smart. I dunno.
nope. no electronics allowed whatsoever. not even cell phones. although given my job, i can see why ipods and such aren't allowed, especially since before the rule was passed, people were bringing laptops and portable dvd players into work and pulling them out at like 4 pm, when the building was still full of head honchos.

I wanted to like Blade Runner. I tried to like Blade Runner. I even watched Blade Runner a second time immediately after the first because I was so surprised that I didn't like Blade Runner. Until I saw Frantic, this was the first Ford film I just couldn't get into.

That being said, the ending was f*in epic.

Did you think it was too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom