Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
then ram them down our throats :tsk:

i like older movies usually even more than their contemporaries. and as for the two you listed, i know they're just examples, but anchorman is good but knocked up...i liked it when it came out but i don't like it as much anymore. especially for superbad. in retrospect, i think it's just kinda ehh now.

I loved Ferrell on SNL, one of the best sketch comedians I will ever see. Totally committed to character, fearless, etc. But for 90 minutes, TO ME, he does not work. So, Anchorman made me laugh a few times in the theater, but it was more surprise value than true comedic gold. I rewatched it when it was on DirecTV and was stunned at how little I laughed the 2nd time.

I just hate when people refuse to watch old movies without a good reason. That's when my film snobbery quietly erupts all in their bi'ness.

Ditto. When people do not want to watch something/know about something because it occurred prior to their birth, I literally want to explode. That sort of ignorance kills me, not just now, but even when I was a teen.

I just hate when people refuse to watch old movies without a good reason. That's when my film snobbery quietly erupts all in their bi'ness.
now that's just silly. anyone who refuses to watch anything of a particular genre, time period, etc. is just being close-minded. i don't try to push my tastes on people, but you should at least give one or two movies a shot before you declare it worthless.

I loved Ferrell on SNL, one of the best sketch comedians I will ever see. Totally committed to character, fearless, etc. But for 90 minutes, TO ME, he does not work. So, Anchorman made me laugh a few times in the theater, but it was more surprise value than true comedic gold. I rewatched it when it was on DirecTV and was stunned at how little I laughed the 2nd time.
...fuck. ignore my comments about anchorman, i somehow got it confused with another movie :doh: (thanks lack of sleep) now that my memory has been refreshed, i agree. i can't remember if i bought it on dvd or not, but i did watch it some time last year, and i didn't laugh nearly as hard as i did in theaters. it's still funny, and i wouldn't not watch it if it were on, but it isn't as timeless as other comedies.

I keep repeating...ALL tastes are relative and subjective. It goes without saying. That's why I do not question anyone's taste, nor trick myself into thinking that I have great taste. I like what I like, and surely, some things stand out more than others to me, but overall, I do not expect anyone to like what I like....and if they do, fantastic.

I laughed at Knocked Up, a little less at Anchorman, but I doubt you will watch either in 10 years and laugh the same way. But if you do, awesome!

I can recommend tons of Allen films. Watch Annie Hall. If you dislike it, no need to continue, you don't like Woody Allen.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, if you thought I was :reject: .

Anchorman is special to me, so I will most likely always love it, but I could easily see me not even remembering the plot of Knocked Up by next year alone.

I'll watch that one and get back to you

I wasn't trying to argue with you, if you thought I was :reject: .

Anchorman is special to me, so I will most likely always love it, but I could easily see me not even remembering the plot of Knocked Up by next year alone.

I'll watch that one and get back to you

I did not think you were arguing with me! :hug:

LMP, what is your favorite Al Pacino performance?

I think mine would be The Devil's Advocate. He is so evil in that role.

Michael Corleone in The Godfather Part II.

If the first is showing a good man being corrupted, then this one shows him as evil incarnate. I like his performance in The Devil's Advocate, it kept me watching, but it's too OTT to take seriously. His monologues in the end about God are brilliant though.

Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, and Scent of Woman have excellent performances out of him, even if the latter is just a decent movie.

Ditto. When people do not want to watch something/know about something because it occurred prior to their birth, I literally want to explode. That sort of ignorance kills me, not just now, but even when I was a teen.

No joke, I have friends who believe b&w = crap film, and I want to smack them for it

:hyper:

does anyone here have netflix? :hmm: we could friend each other and then i can spy on your favourite movies and steal some for my queue :drool:

I do, but my accounts being held til next school year (I use my Hollywood video account while I'm home) so I don't know if we can be friends right now

:wave: Hey, guys.

I approve of Ashley's new av. Kickass (if horribly depressing) film.

FINALLY! someone who has showed any interest in that film :lol: Did you see what I posted in the random movie talk? I'll go quote it real quick, but ever since I watched that movie, It's been all I can think about. It was just SO good

FINALLY! someone who has showed any interest in that film :lol: Did you see what I posted in the random movie talk? I'll go quote it real quick, but ever since I watched that movie, It's been all I can think about. It was just SO good

I've not seen it in a while, but, I thought it was excellent. Films like that, though, frustrate me. I hate when I despise a character so much that I want to leap through the screen to throttle them. Nurse Ratched, you bastard.

I've not seen it in a while, but, I thought it was excellent. Films like that, though, frustrate me. I hate when I despise a character so much that I want to leap through the screen to throttle them. Nurse Ratched, you bastard.

Indeed, I don't think I've ever been so relieved by an on-screen strangulation in my life

Jack Nicholson is one of the great actors ever. He's especially good at playing insane folks, I've found.

Ok, I just saw One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for the first time tonight. I had no prior knowledge of the plot, or anything at all. And I left just completely amazed. Firstly, I absolutely loved it, it was beautiful, funny, and sad. What I don't really feel quite comfortable with is the ending. I mean, The Chief escaped, and he felt "big" and that was amazing, but how did he KNOW that Mac was never going to be the same again? I just...I was so shocked by what he did. It almost felt like, yeah, The Chief got away, but for Mac it felt like the place got him in the end :(. I don't know. Can anyone offer me perhaps a better explanation, perhaps from the book? Or personal understanding?

Though since I originally posted this, I did find an explanation for why you would KNOW Mac could never have come back.

Jack Nicholson is one of the great actors ever. He's especially good at playing insane folks, I've found.

I find I'm falling in love with him (acting) but that I shouldn't just rent movies I see him on the front cover of (I'm looking at you Crossing Guard)

I feel the same way. I've gotta read the novel for Summer reading and am gonna mentally compare it to the movie, which I rarely like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom