Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rag on Is That All? sometimes and I think it should have been a b-side, but yeah, it's got something that makes it listenable and enjoyable. I'll take it any day over Elevation, that's for sure.

I think I might be the only person on Earth that enjoys "Is That All". I know the opening riff is borrowed from Electric Co (How awesome is Electric Co?!!??!?!?!), but, after that, I don't know....not a great song, but, Edge's guitar is so pure on this song, it's like a beam of fucking light. See? This is why I rarely talk about U2 on this board. I sound like a simpering toady.
i don't dislike it. there's not a song on october i could say i don't like or skip past. :shrug:

Back then, my musical knowledge and tastes were very limited. It was a completely different world in that regard. Funnily enough, my trip to see U2 in the US and signing up to last.fm on my return to Australia is what changed things. In the US, I picked up a bunch of CDs since your prices are so much cheaper than ours, then when I got home and signed up to last.fm, I was rather bothered by the fact that it vividly highlighted how little music I really had. So I very quickly began digging into the world of music and now look where things are.

Bizarrely enough, Best Of 1990-2000 is what really turned me into a serious fan. I heard Gone and was hooked. Then a friend of my mother gave me copies of the UABRS and RAH videos. After 11OTT and Bad, there was no going back.

That's cool. My tastes were fairly limited when I heard Bomb, too. We all change, especially at such a young age.

It is funny that you got into '90s U2. Did you ever really like Achtung Baby?

Please explain.

Also, you gonna check out Vertigo and Punch-Drunk Love?

Both films were tedious and uninteresting. It is as simple as that. I was never engaged. They tried so hard to be classics but they fail.

Yep. Vertigo is bound to be played on AMC or TCM. I have always wanted to see Punch-Drunk Love. I love seeing comediens do dramatic work. :up:

See a few years ago I might have believed this but in the last few years people who have been making music for years like Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren and Kate Bush have released one if not their best albums. I saw Return To Forever a few nights ago. They are in their 60's and rocked harder than U2 ever has. I believe talent lasts forever with U2 I just don't think they have the motivation. :shrug:

Then again, the artists you name have never achieved U2's heights, so they have less to live up to. I do not disagree, though, that some of their motivation has certainly waned.

I'm just glad that they are still around....that I still get geeked for a new album, and that they still kick some ass Live.

See a few years ago I might have believed this but in the last few years people who have been making music for years like Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren and Kate Bush have released one if not their best albums. I saw Return To Forever a few nights ago. They are in their 60's and rocked harder than U2 ever has. I believe talent lasts forever with U2 I just don't think they have the motivation. :shrug:

I'd agree that U2 lack the motivation. Taking four years to make their albums is a sure sign of that.

I do struggle to name any band who are still releasing albums as good as their earlier classics, though. Porcupine Tree are the only one I can think of, but they've only just turned 40, so there's still plenty of time for them to go to shit - and in any case, their development as a band is rather unique and doesn't quite fit the standard mould. I really only expect one or two more good albums from them. Just as long as we get another Aussie tour, I'll be happy.

I think I might be the only person on Earth that enjoys "Is That All". I know the opening riff is borrowed from Electric Co (How awesome is Electric Co?!!??!?!?!), but, after that, I don't know....not a great song, but, Edge's guitar is so pure on this song, it's like a beam of fucking light. See? This is why I rarely talk about U2 on this board. I sound like a simpering toady.

Never "Lance on Cameron" levels though, so it's all good.

"Is That All?" is a cracking tune, that's for sure. "The Electric Co.," however, is something else entirely. Say what you want about the Chicago DVD, but that moment when Edge breaks into the solo is one of my favorites U2 moments on film.

:) I love Is That All. Bono is so passionate in that song.

Never "Lance on Cameron" levels though, so it's all good.

"Is That All?" is a cracking tune, that's for sure. "The Electric Co.," however, is something else entirely. Say what you want about the Chicago DVD, but that moment when Edge breaks into the solo is one of my favorites U2 moments on film.

When I was in San Diego for the start of the tour.....hearing the opening to Electric Co was easily one of the best musical moments of my life. I was just so amped, geeked, psyched, stunned, pleased......then, to fucking follow that up with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart....goodness. No set list party can capture what it's like to be there early on.

Both films were tedious and uninteresting. It is as simple as that. I was never engaged. They tried so hard to be classics but they fail.

Yep. Vertigo is bound to be played on AMC or TCM. I have always wanted to see Punch-Drunk Love. I love seeing comediens do dramatic work. :up:

I'll agree with you on The Godfather. But never call Rick tedious :grumpy: :)p )

I don't think it's tedious, but some pretty dense, complicated character and relationship drama. The struggle and dramatic change in Michael Corleone is nothing short of a Greek tragedy. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I think you should at least appreciate the technical achievements.

It'll be interesting to read what you think of PDL, I remember you not being too high on P.T. Anderson in the past.

That's cool. My tastes were fairly limited when I heard Bomb, too. We all change, especially at such a young age.

It is funny that you got into '90s U2. Did you ever really like Achtung Baby?

I remember I used to rate Achtung higher, but I think part of that was simple expectation. I don't mean to say peer pressure or anything like that, but I had a hard time ranking the albums, and when I had five or so competing for a single position, Achtung's status meant it came to mind quicker.

And I still think there's a good disc's worth of great songs from the nineties, which is more than I can say for 2000s U2.

Why not?

1) TUF
2) Achtung Baby
3) The Joshua Tree
4) ATYCLB
5) War
6) Zooropa
7) HTDAAB
8) Passengers
9) Pop
10) Boy
11) October

Am I missing one?

I'm not gonna bother defending The G-dfather, it needs no defense, at all, from anyone. Plus, as I preach in other threads, taste is subjective, no matter how dubious the claim.

When I was in San Diego for the start of the tour.....hearing the opening to Electric Co was easily one of the best musical moments of my life. I was just so amped, geeked, psyched, stunned, pleased......then, to fucking follow that up with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart....goodness. No set list party can capture what it's like to be there early on.

Awesome. :up:

I really hope I can catch either an early show or a Miami/NYC/Boston show during the next tour. Miami's easily the most feasible, but seeing them in the other 2 places would be amazing in and of itself.

Awesome. :up:

I really hope I can catch either an early show or a Miami/NYC/Boston show during the next tour. Miami's easily the most feasible, but seeing them in the other 2 places would be amazing in and of itself.

I plan to see them early, no matter where they open...then in at least 4-5 US cities....and, hopefully, for the first time I'll see them in Europe. It's the NSW goes broke U2 tour 2009.

I just don't understand why people love The Godfather so much. I don't see what's so great about it either thematically or visually. Well...I'll take back Visually, when my aesthetics class spent FOREVER discussing the filming of it and what they went through to make it look as realistic as possible, THEN I was impressed.

I don't think it's tedious, but some pretty dense, complicated character and relationship drama. The struggle and dramatic change in Michael Corleone is nothing short of a Greek tragedy. If you don't like it, that's cool, but not appreciating the technical work is pretty bad, I think. At least give it credit for that.

It'll be interesting to read what you think of PDL, I remember you not being too high on P.T. Anderson in the past.

The Godfather was really well shot and directed but the film never interested me.

Punch-Drunk Love is an Anderson film? Honestly I don't think I can watch it now. :wink:

No, seriously I'll give it a chance.

I just don't understand why people love The Godfather so much. I don't see what's so great about it either thematically or visually. Well...I'll take back Visually, when my aesthetics class spent FOREVER discussing the filming of it and what they went through to make it look as realistic as possible, THEN I was impressed.

Yeah, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum here. Cannot for the life of me see how anyone that claims to love film could watch it and dislike it, but, hey, it's a different era and people like what they like. :shrug: People today fawn over comedies like Anchor Man or Knocked Up and I want to ram any of 10-15 Woody Allen films down their throat so they can watch a real comedy, but it would go unappreciated, so what's the point?

since everyone else is:

1. achtung baby
2. the unforgettable fire
3. pop
4. october
5. zooropa
6. the joshua tree
7. boy
8. war
9. rattle and hum
10. how to dismantle an atomic bomb
11. all that you can't leave behind

i guess.

:lol: I in all honesty hated Bomb and ATYCLB on first listen but things equaled out when I listened to X&Y and thought it was a classic. :wink:

I remember the very first time I listened to HTDAAB I liked it, but I had this bad feeling that it was going to be a limited time only.

The Godfather was really well shot and directed but the film never interested me.

Punch-Drunk Love is an Anderson film? Honestly I don't think I can watch it now. :wink:

Punch Drunk Love is great, and, Screw, I actually think it's a bit up your alley, and I mean that sincerely, not disparagingly.

Yeah, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum here. Cannot for the life of me see how anyone that claims to love film could watch it and dislike it, but, hey, it's a different era and people like what they like. :shrug: People today fawn over comedies like Anchor Man or Knocked Up and I want to ram any of 10-15 Woody Allen films down their throat so they can watch a real comedy, but it would go unappreciated, so what's the point?

I like to think that I've got a pretty good spectrum of film respect. Casablanca is one of my favorite films, The Godfather though, is one of my least favorite. I will also admit that I really like Anchorman and Knocked Up, and I have yet to have seen a Woody Allen film (the opportunity just hasn't presented itself, but if you recommend one to me, I'll rent it tomorrow), but in the long run, I've always felt that wha'ts funny is relative.

That's cool. :up:

I think you'll relate to PDL and like it more than you think. It's a more low-key film than Boogie Nights or Magnolia - more of a transition toward the singularly-driven There Will Be Blood, have you seen that yet?

then ram them down our throats :tsk:

i like older movies usually even more than their contemporaries. and as for the two you listed, i know they're just examples, but anchorman is good but knocked up...i liked it when it came out but i don't like it as much anymore. especially for superbad. in retrospect, i think it's just kinda ehh now.

I like to think that I've got a pretty good spectrum of film respect. Casablanca is one of my favorite films, The Godfather though, is one of my least favorite. I will also admit that I really like Anchorman and Knocked Up, and I have yet to have seen a Woody Allen film (the opportunity just hasn't presented itself, but if you recommend one to me, I'll rent it tomorrow), but in the long run, I've always felt that wha'ts funny is relative.

I keep repeating...ALL tastes are relative and subjective. It goes without saying. That's why I do not question anyone's taste, nor trick myself into thinking that I have great taste. I like what I like, and surely, some things stand out more than others to me, but overall, I do not expect anyone to like what I like....and if they do, fantastic.

I laughed at Knocked Up, a little less at Anchorman, but I doubt you will watch either in 10 years and laugh the same way. But if you do, awesome!

I can recommend tons of Allen films. Watch Annie Hall. If you dislike it, no need to continue, you don't like Woody Allen.

I just hate when people refuse to watch old movies without a good reason. That's when my film snobbery quietly erupts all in their bi'ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom