Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, got a text from Bonnie. Sounds like she's made it safely to Melbourne. :up:

Also, good job with finishing uni and all that, it's a great feeling :hi5:

The last couple of weeks have been so intense that it hasn't really sunk in yet. I still feel a bit tense, like I should be doing something.

By the way, how good are the views from up the top of Redmond Barry, eh? Love doing exams up there.

By the way, U-Wen, you weren't around last night when I remarked on something. So let's test your Melbourne general knowledge.

What was the name of Melbourne's founder?

Review: Viva la Vida by Coldplay

Being a reasonably hardcore U2 fan, it felt like blasphemy of sorts to be pushing Coldplay's latest CD into my car CD player - much akin to attending a Mormon church, or driving a Proton.

However, the CD starts off well with an instrumental track, Life in Technicolor - which, the American misspelling notwithstanding, is excellent. However, the album then goes into Cemeteries in London, which, whilst being a pretty decent song, is quite possibly the worst jump/segue in any album I've heard.

A few other songs flow gently past, before coming to the excellent title track, Viva la Vida. This is, for want of a better comparison, Coldplay's Beautiful Day - an anthem that is distinctive, standout and great fun. The album then continues on with the "grower" Violet Hill, before coasting on to an end.

All in all, the album is, scarily, much like what Chris Martin himself said it to be - Coldplay's Unforgettable Fire. It is an experience that is all about sound and atmospherics, rather than pushing a point or hitting hard. The ambience and sheer brilliance of some of the instrumentation on this album are very reminiscent of the Unforgettable Fire, however Viva la Vida is let down by one thing and one thing only - Chris Martin.

His bland, slowly grating voice and equally bland lyrics are what prevent this album from being a genuine hit. If Martin were Bono, with Bono's earlier lyrical ability and voice (as he sometimes seems to wish), this album would have taken off the ground and never looked back. Instead, it wavers gently on the boundaries of greatness and mediocrity, hoping to tentatively make a foray into foreign territory.

Three out of five.

By the way, U-Wen, you weren't around last night when I remarked on something. So let's test your Melbourne general knowledge.

What was the name of Melbourne's founder?

BATMAN. I've always found that simultaneously funny and wtf-worthy.

BATMAN. I've always found that simultaneously funny and wtf-worthy.

Haha, yes. I love it. It's so hard to keep a straight face and a serious tone when you're writing about John BATMAN!, though. So I avoided him entirely in my markets booklet and wrote about John Pascoe Fawkner instead. :laugh:

Haha, yes. I love it. It's so hard to keep a straight face and a serious tone when you're writing about John BATMAN!, though. So I avoided him entirely in my markets booklet and wrote about John Pascoe Fawkner instead. :laugh:

Ahh what a pity. You should have written about him, and included illustrations (and of course inserted one of Batman for fun)!

Life in Technicolor - which, the American misspelling notwithstanding, is excellent.

OK, I don't get this. It seems British bands in the last couple of years have had to suffer the indignity of their song titles being put in American spelling. Porcupine Tree's Anesthetize pisses me off every time. It's fuckin' Anaesthetise! I can't fathom the record company justification for this, except as linguistic imperialism/Americanisation.

Viva la Vida is let down by one thing and one thing only - Chris Martin.

Yeah, Coldplay would be a much better band without him. And if their guitarist would stop trying to imitate Edge at every bloody turn.

However, the CD starts off well with an instrumental track, Life in Technicolor - which, the American misspelling notwithstanding, is excellent. However, the album then goes into Cemeteries in London, which, whilst being a pretty decent song, is quite possibly the worst jump/segue in any album I've heard.

I just tried seguing Life in Technicolor into Viva la Vida, and it was brilliant. What the hell were Coldplay doing with their tracklisting, honestly..? The way this album flows in that sense, you'd think they were trying to copy U... oh wait.

Well, I thought you lot would have decided by now - I left for long enough for you to do it! :laugh:

Where was the Indian place, again?

No, we don't know our Melbourne Greek restaurants well enough!

We were thinking we could hit the Indian place on Little Collins another night. But I'm worried it may be our backup plan, ha.

Ahh what a pity. You should have written about him, and included illustrations (and of course inserted one of Batman for fun)!

:laugh:

Nah, involving Batman would've needed more historical context than I had space for anyway. Good god, 500 word narrative histories are fucking hard to write. Compressing heaps of information into just 500 words is a hell of a task.

Kids? Work? :hug:

Fighting an evil bitch of a principal that is essentially victimising my 6yr old daughter because she is refusing to do anything about a special needs boy who has been hitting and biting her. :mad:

Bitch tried to stop me observing in class (perfectly legal for me to do) and is trying to downplay EVERYTHING, basically insinuating that my daughter should 'self manage' and move away from this kid, who is left unsupervised a good part of the day and has made her life hell. :crack: Bitch don't know who she's fighting with. I took it to the Board of Trustee's today, and it's fair to say shit is starting to hit the fan.

No, we don't know our Melbourne Greek restaurants well enough!

We were thinking we could hit the Indian place on Little Collins another night. But I'm worried it may be our backup plan, ha.

I'm pretty sure it will be unless Bonnie somehow hops online... You and I have about as much knowledge of Greek restaurants round here as Rob33 actually has of Coldplay.

Fighting an evil bitch of a principal that is essentially victimising my 6yr old daughter because she is refusing to do anything about a special needs boy who has been hitting and biting her. :mad:

Bitch tried to stop me observing in class (perfectly legal for me to do) and is trying to downplay EVERYTHING, basically insinuating that my daughter should 'self manage' and move away from this kid, who is left unsupervised a good part of the day and has made her life hell. :crack: Bitch don't know who she's fighting with. I took it to the Board of Trustee's today, and it's fair to say shit is starting to hit the fan.

Urgh, I hate that. Being a volunteer in a children's ministry at church, I know sort of how that feels when kids start abusing one another.

Hey, you might get her fired! :hi5: I mean, uh, that would be terrible from a Christian perspective... :shifty:

Urgh, I hate that. Being a volunteer in a children's ministry at church, I know sort of how that feels when kids start abusing one another.

Hey, you might get her fired! :hi5: I mean, uh, that would be terrible from a Christian perspective... :shifty:

She's been an evil dictator at the school for 12 years. We've finally got a really strong board voted in who are standing up to her and making her toe the line. Parent's had given up complaining because she NEVER did anything. She's picked the wrong family to fight with this time. :evil: It's exhausting though.

I'm pretty sure it will be unless Bonnie somehow hops online... You and I have about as much knowledge of Greek restaurants round here as Rob33 actually has of Coldplay.

:lol:

Or we could just look up Greek restaurants and see what has the best reviews. I mean, you found that Indian place!

If she doesn't do anything and worms her way around the board, I'm taking it to the Ministry of Education and the media.

Ha, that'll show her.

Did you not have much of a choice in sending your daughter to this school? I was pretty lucky in New Zealand in that we lived right between two primary schools so my mother could choose the one she preferred for me, but I wasn't so lucky in Australia and we went private to avoid ending up at the dodgy, over-crowded, under-funded state high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom