Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, okay. I'm not one to care about the special features, as long as the transfer is good and there's maybe a commentary.

I've posted enough thoughts in the Indy thread to say. I don't think Deep likes it though.

I want the extras when possible, but this deal was too good to pass up.

I gots to go Blu-Ray, son, when my new TV arrives on the scene.

So, I'm curious, since Allen is supposed to be so amazing. What kind of comedy is it? I Know he talks pretty fast-paced, so is it like word based? I like to know what to expect sometimes

So, I'm curious, since Allen is supposed to be so amazing. What kind of comedy is it? I Know he talks pretty fast-paced, so is it like word based? I like to know what to expect sometimes

Well, he's done a lot of films. His earlier comedies probably had more slapstick. As he got older, and better as a director/writer, his films remained wordy, but, delved more into the human condition. I cannot really sum him up adequately for you. I will say that when I watched some films of his at your age, they did not resonate with me quite as well as they did when I rewatched them many years later.

I want the extras when possible, but this deal was too good to pass up.

I gots to go Blu-Ray, son, when my new TV arrives on the scene.

My thoughts exactly on the DVD deal.

I wanted to hold out on buying a my laptop after rumblings of a Blu Ray/Apple connection, but couldn't wait any longer. After watching a Blu Ray flick at a friend's house the other day, gotta say I'm hooked.

OK folks, I'm out. Want to polish off my university work in one hit rather than in dribs and drabs over the evening. See you all in a bit. :wave:

Is that an Aussie term for masturbation?

See ya.

I don't care if i'm watching it on my computer, tape, television, dvd, or Blu-ray. It's still going to contain the same content :shrug:

My thoughts exactly on the DVD deal.

I wanted to hold out on buying a my laptop after rumblings of a Blu Ray/Apple connection, but couldn't wait any longer. After watching a Blu Ray flick at a friend's house the other day, gotta say I'm hooked.

I literally waited 14 months for my Network to ink a deal with Comcast before going HDTV.....I'll not bore you with the connection between the two, but it makes sense, trust me....now that the HDTV is ordered, how can I possibly not go Blu-Ray? Hate to think that I might have to replace all my DVDs down the road, though.

I don't care if i'm watching it on my computer, tape, television, dvd, or Blu-ray. It's still going to contain the same content :shrug:

Would you watch a color movie on a Black and White TV? You cannot deny that the bigger the screen, the better the picture, the better the audio, the better the overall experience. Some films are just not meant to be seen on your computer monitor.

I literally waited 14 months for my Network to ink a deal with Comcast before going HDTV.....I'll not bore you with the connection between the two, but it makes sense, trust me....now that the HDTV is ordered, how can I possibly not go Blu-Ray? Hate to think that I might have to replace all my DVDs down the road, though.

DVDs upscaled on Blu Ray still look damn good, so no need to worry about transitioning. It's not as radical a change as VHS to DVD.

We have an HDTV in the living room and my parent's room, but I don't, so I can't make a push to get one quite yet.

I hope you two are kidding about not knowing what "dribs and drabs" means.

Oh most definitely, the opportunity just presented itself.

DVDs upscaled on Blu Ray still look damn good, so no need to worry about transitioning. It's not as radical a change as VHS to DVD.

We have an HDTV in the living room and my parent's room, but I don't, so I can't make a push to get one quite yet.

Oh most definitely, the opportunity just presented itself.

Ok, good, on both paragraphs.

Would you watch a color movie on a Black and White TV? You cannot deny that the bigger the screen, the better the picture, the better the audio, the better the overall experience. Some films are just not meant to be seen on your computer monitor.

what i mean, is mostly like what you just said about replacing your entire DVD collection. It's one thing to release a new mode of video improving upon the accessibility and convenience of the previous, but this is the same exact thing, but now boasting a "higher quality" that I just don't really see the brilliance of.

But that's just me, I realize pretty much everyone else is apeshit about HD

If I got a player, I'd only replace the lower quality DVDs if they're available or spring for new releases of either beautifully shot films or full-on actionfests.

As long as I can continue to watch DVDs on a Blu-Ray player, I don't care, but can you?

If so, I'll just do what I'm still doing now, buying the cheapest things i can find :lol: You have no idea how many VHS movies I own.

what i mean, is mostly like what you just said about replacing your entire DVD collection. It's one thing to release a new mode of video improving upon the accessibility and convenience of the previous, but this is the same exact thing, but now boasting a "higher quality" that I just don't really see the brilliance of.

But that's just me, I realize pretty much everyone else is apeshit about HD

Trust me, it's a sizable difference. It could be the equivalent of you not liking The Godfather until you studied its visual content. Consumer technology could be at a level where the drop-off between the quality of the film in a theater and at home isn't as huge as it was before. Nothing's like watching a great print of a film, but this is the next best thing.

My irritation with HD really is miniscule, I own an HDTV, I'm planning on buying a DVD/VCR that converts everything up to HD, so, I may not like it, but I am conforming

For sports alone, HD is insane. Nobody at work can believe that I did not have one.

I'm glad my dad's a sports nut, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten one or DirecTV until much later, I'll bet.

My irritation with HD really is miniscule, I own an HDTV, I'm planning on buying a DVD/VCR that converts everything up to HD, so, I may not like it, but I am conforming

Is it even possible for a combo drive to upscale a DVD to HD?

As long as I can continue to watch DVDs on a Blu-Ray player, I don't care, but can you?

If so, I'll just do what I'm still doing now, buying the cheapest things i can find :lol: You have no idea how many VHS movies I own.

Yeah, I couldn't care less about that level of picture quality, except for certain films that need to look as good as possible in order to get the greatest enjoyment possible out of them.

I'm glad my dad's a sports nut, otherwise we wouldn't have gotten one or DirecTV until much later, I'll bet.

Is it even possible for a combo drive to upscale a DVD to HD?

That's what this one is advertising anyways. Suppose I'll have to see it to believe it, but for now, I'm pretty damn excited about it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom