Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #166
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Am I missing one?
RAH.

Anyway, I need to go grocery shopping, so I'll see you folk in 45 minutes or so.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #167
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Awesome.

I really hope I can catch either an early show or a Miami/NYC/Boston show during the next tour. Miami's easily the most feasible, but seeing them in the other 2 places would be amazing in and of itself.
I plan to see them early, no matter where they open...then in at least 4-5 US cities....and, hopefully, for the first time I'll see them in Europe. It's the NSW goes broke U2 tour 2009.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #168
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:30 PM
Quote:
Why not?

1) TUF
2) Achtung Baby
3) The Joshua Tree
4) ATYCLB
5) War
6) Zooropa
7) HTDAAB
8) Passengers
9) Pop
10) Boy
11) October

Am I missing one?
rattle and hum

fuck, too slow
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #169
Blue Crack Distributor

I just don't understand why people love The Godfather so much. I don't see what's so great about it either thematically or visually. Well...I'll take back Visually, when my aesthetics class spent FOREVER discussing the filming of it and what they went through to make it look as realistic as possible, THEN I was impressed.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #170
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
RAH.

Anyway, I need to go grocery shopping, so I'll see you folk in 45 minutes or so.
Gah!

Well, probably between Passengers and Pop
Old 06-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #171
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I don't think it's tedious, but some pretty dense, complicated character and relationship drama. The struggle and dramatic change in Michael Corleone is nothing short of a Greek tragedy. If you don't like it, that's cool, but not appreciating the technical work is pretty bad, I think. At least give it credit for that.

It'll be interesting to read what you think of PDL, I remember you not being too high on P.T. Anderson in the past.
The Godfather was really well shot and directed but the film never interested me.

Punch-Drunk Love is an Anderson film? Honestly I don't think I can watch it now.

No, seriously I'll give it a chance.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #172
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I just don't understand why people love The Godfather so much. I don't see what's so great about it either thematically or visually. Well...I'll take back Visually, when my aesthetics class spent FOREVER discussing the filming of it and what they went through to make it look as realistic as possible, THEN I was impressed.
Yeah, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum here. Cannot for the life of me see how anyone that claims to love film could watch it and dislike it, but, hey, it's a different era and people like what they like. People today fawn over comedies like Anchor Man or Knocked Up and I want to ram any of 10-15 Woody Allen films down their throat so they can watch a real comedy, but it would go unappreciated, so what's the point?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #173
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

since everyone else is:

1. achtung baby
2. the unforgettable fire
3. pop
4. october
5. zooropa
6. the joshua tree
7. boy
8. war
9. rattle and hum
10. how to dismantle an atomic bomb
11. all that you can't leave behind

i guess.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #174
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
I in all honesty hated Bomb and ATYCLB on first listen but things equaled out when I listened to X&Y and thought it was a classic.
I remember the very first time I listened to HTDAAB I liked it, but I had this bad feeling that it was going to be a limited time only.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #175
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The Godfather was really well shot and directed but the film never interested me.

Punch-Drunk Love is an Anderson film? Honestly I don't think I can watch it now.

Punch Drunk Love is great, and, Screw, I actually think it's a bit up your alley, and I mean that sincerely, not disparagingly.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #176
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Yeah, we're at opposite ends of the spectrum here. Cannot for the life of me see how anyone that claims to love film could watch it and dislike it, but, hey, it's a different era and people like what they like. People today fawn over comedies like Anchor Man or Knocked Up and I want to ram any of 10-15 Woody Allen films down their throat so they can watch a real comedy, but it would go unappreciated, so what's the point?
I like to think that I've got a pretty good spectrum of film respect. Casablanca is one of my favorite films, The Godfather though, is one of my least favorite. I will also admit that I really like Anchorman and Knocked Up, and I have yet to have seen a Woody Allen film (the opportunity just hasn't presented itself, but if you recommend one to me, I'll rent it tomorrow), but in the long run, I've always felt that wha'ts funny is relative.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #177
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

That's cool.

I think you'll relate to PDL and like it more than you think. It's a more low-key film than Boogie Nights or Magnolia - more of a transition toward the singularly-driven There Will Be Blood, have you seen that yet?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #178
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
then ram them down our throats

i like older movies usually even more than their contemporaries. and as for the two you listed, i know they're just examples, but anchorman is good but knocked up...i liked it when it came out but i don't like it as much anymore. especially for superbad. in retrospect, i think it's just kinda ehh now.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 PM   #179
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I like to think that I've got a pretty good spectrum of film respect. Casablanca is one of my favorite films, The Godfather though, is one of my least favorite. I will also admit that I really like Anchorman and Knocked Up, and I have yet to have seen a Woody Allen film (the opportunity just hasn't presented itself, but if you recommend one to me, I'll rent it tomorrow), but in the long run, I've always felt that wha'ts funny is relative.
I keep repeating...ALL tastes are relative and subjective. It goes without saying. That's why I do not question anyone's taste, nor trick myself into thinking that I have great taste. I like what I like, and surely, some things stand out more than others to me, but overall, I do not expect anyone to like what I like....and if they do, fantastic.

I laughed at Knocked Up, a little less at Anchorman, but I doubt you will watch either in 10 years and laugh the same way. But if you do, awesome!

I can recommend tons of Allen films. Watch Annie Hall. If you dislike it, no need to continue, you don't like Woody Allen.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:42 PM   #180
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I just hate when people refuse to watch old movies without a good reason. That's when my film snobbery quietly erupts all in their bi'ness.

Tags
superthread