Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #151
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 03:39 AM
I rag on Is That All? sometimes and I think it should have been a b-side, but yeah, it's got something that makes it listenable and enjoyable. I'll take it any day over Elevation, that's for sure.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #152
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
I think I might be the only person on Earth that enjoys "Is That All". I know the opening riff is borrowed from Electric Co (How awesome is Electric Co?!!??!?!?!), but, after that, I don't know....not a great song, but, Edge's guitar is so pure on this song, it's like a beam of fucking light. See? This is why I rarely talk about U2 on this board. I sound like a simpering toady.
i don't dislike it. there's not a song on october i could say i don't like or skip past.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:24 PM   #153
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Back then, my musical knowledge and tastes were very limited. It was a completely different world in that regard. Funnily enough, my trip to see U2 in the US and signing up to last.fm on my return to Australia is what changed things. In the US, I picked up a bunch of CDs since your prices are so much cheaper than ours, then when I got home and signed up to last.fm, I was rather bothered by the fact that it vividly highlighted how little music I really had. So I very quickly began digging into the world of music and now look where things are.

Bizarrely enough, Best Of 1990-2000 is what really turned me into a serious fan. I heard Gone and was hooked. Then a friend of my mother gave me copies of the UABRS and RAH videos. After 11OTT and Bad, there was no going back.
That's cool. My tastes were fairly limited when I heard Bomb, too. We all change, especially at such a young age.

It is funny that you got into '90s U2. Did you ever really like Achtung Baby?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
Please explain.

Also, you gonna check out Vertigo and Punch-Drunk Love?
Both films were tedious and uninteresting. It is as simple as that. I was never engaged. They tried so hard to be classics but they fail.

Yep. Vertigo is bound to be played on AMC or TCM. I have always wanted to see Punch-Drunk Love. I love seeing comediens do dramatic work.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 PM   #155
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
See a few years ago I might have believed this but in the last few years people who have been making music for years like Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren and Kate Bush have released one if not their best albums. I saw Return To Forever a few nights ago. They are in their 60's and rocked harder than U2 ever has. I believe talent lasts forever with U2 I just don't think they have the motivation.
Then again, the artists you name have never achieved U2's heights, so they have less to live up to. I do not disagree, though, that some of their motivation has certainly waned.

I'm just glad that they are still around....that I still get geeked for a new album, and that they still kick some ass Live.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:26 PM   #156
Vocal parasite

Quote:
See a few years ago I might have believed this but in the last few years people who have been making music for years like Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren and Kate Bush have released one if not their best albums. I saw Return To Forever a few nights ago. They are in their 60's and rocked harder than U2 ever has. I believe talent lasts forever with U2 I just don't think they have the motivation.
I'd agree that U2 lack the motivation. Taking four years to make their albums is a sure sign of that.

I do struggle to name any band who are still releasing albums as good as their earlier classics, though. Porcupine Tree are the only one I can think of, but they've only just turned 40, so there's still plenty of time for them to go to shit - and in any case, their development as a band is rather unique and doesn't quite fit the standard mould. I really only expect one or two more good albums from them. Just as long as we get another Aussie tour, I'll be happy.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #157
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I think I might be the only person on Earth that enjoys "Is That All". I know the opening riff is borrowed from Electric Co (How awesome is Electric Co?!!??!?!?!), but, after that, I don't know....not a great song, but, Edge's guitar is so pure on this song, it's like a beam of fucking light. See? This is why I rarely talk about U2 on this board. I sound like a simpering toady.
Never "Lance on Cameron" levels though, so it's all good.

"Is That All?" is a cracking tune, that's for sure. "The Electric Co.," however, is something else entirely. Say what you want about the Chicago DVD, but that moment when Edge breaks into the solo is one of my favorites U2 moments on film.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 11:39 AM
Quote:
I love Is That All. Bono is so passionate in that song.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 PM   #159
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Never "Lance on Cameron" levels though, so it's all good.

"Is That All?" is a cracking tune, that's for sure. "The Electric Co.," however, is something else entirely. Say what you want about the Chicago DVD, but that moment when Edge breaks into the solo is one of my favorites U2 moments on film.
When I was in San Diego for the start of the tour.....hearing the opening to Electric Co was easily one of the best musical moments of my life. I was just so amped, geeked, psyched, stunned, pleased......then, to fucking follow that up with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart....goodness. No set list party can capture what it's like to be there early on.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Both films were tedious and uninteresting. It is as simple as that. I was never engaged. They tried so hard to be classics but they fail.

Yep. Vertigo is bound to be played on AMC or TCM. I have always wanted to see Punch-Drunk Love. I love seeing comediens do dramatic work.
I'll agree with you on The Godfather. But never call Rick tedious ( )
Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #161
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I don't think it's tedious, but some pretty dense, complicated character and relationship drama. The struggle and dramatic change in Michael Corleone is nothing short of a Greek tragedy. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I think you should at least appreciate the technical achievements.

It'll be interesting to read what you think of PDL, I remember you not being too high on P.T. Anderson in the past.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #162
Vocal parasite

Quote:
That's cool. My tastes were fairly limited when I heard Bomb, too. We all change, especially at such a young age.

It is funny that you got into '90s U2. Did you ever really like Achtung Baby?
I remember I used to rate Achtung higher, but I think part of that was simple expectation. I don't mean to say peer pressure or anything like that, but I had a hard time ranking the albums, and when I had five or so competing for a single position, Achtung's status meant it came to mind quicker.

And I still think there's a good disc's worth of great songs from the nineties, which is more than I can say for 2000s U2.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #163
Blue Crack Distributor

Why not?

1) TUF
2) Achtung Baby
3) The Joshua Tree
4) ATYCLB
5) War
6) Zooropa
7) HTDAAB
8) Passengers
9) Pop
10) Boy
11) October

Am I missing one?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not gonna bother defending The G-dfather, it needs no defense, at all, from anyone. Plus, as I preach in other threads, taste is subjective, no matter how dubious the claim.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #165
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
When I was in San Diego for the start of the tour.....hearing the opening to Electric Co was easily one of the best musical moments of my life. I was just so amped, geeked, psyched, stunned, pleased......then, to fucking follow that up with An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart....goodness. No set list party can capture what it's like to be there early on.
Awesome.

I really hope I can catch either an early show or a Miami/NYC/Boston show during the next tour. Miami's easily the most feasible, but seeing them in the other 2 places would be amazing in and of itself.

Tags
superthread