Penistone, South Yorkshire Superthread - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2008, 11:09 PM   #136
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:02 PM
I still like HTDAAB better than ATYCLB. But, I don't go babbling about how awesome HTDAAB is or anything. Also, comparing U2's recent work to their earlier work is futile. When you kick that much ass for the first decade of your career, it's a given that there will be some sort of decline. That being said, the band still continue to find/make new fans, and songs like "Elevation", which I cannot fucking stand, seems to get the average U2 concert-goer all pumped up.

I'm awfully excited for the next album, and if it disappoints, well, U2's disappointments are still better than most of what I hear.

Also, Coldplay are just so......meh. Listened to the new album at least 10x, just to totally be fair to it, and, maybe two songs jump at me. But, many like them, and they're entitled, despite my not understanding the appeal.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:11 PM   #137
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, fuck it then:

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Unforgettable Fire
4. October (That's fucking right)
5. Boy
6. War
7. Zooropa
8. Rattle & Hum
9. HTDAAB
10. Pop
11. Passengers
12. ATYCLB

Old 06-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #138
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm having a hard time figuring out quite what your first sentence there is meant to mean! As for taking it personally, it just seemed a bit over-the-top and mocking rather than "holy shit, how different things used to be".

I'd say my impression of ATYCLB now is a bit less than around 2000-01, but that's mainly due to having more to compare it to. When I got ATYCLB, it was my first proper U2 album; I only owned the Best Of 1980-1990 beforehand. And I no longer pay any attention to Peace On Earth or New York, but now I notice Kite (originally hated it) and WILATW.
Your taste is markedly different than most, and it was funny to see you really like something that's fairly in tune with a differing taste. That's not a bad thing at all, just funny. I didn't think it was that over-the-top, either. If someone found a post of me saying I loved X&Y, for instance, and joked around about it, it wouldn't seem like a big deal because I did actually say it, even if it was x amount of years ago, you know?

Achtung Baby was the album that got me hooked, but Bomb was the first one released when I was a massive fan. My fandom's waned since then, but they'll always be my favorite band.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:14 PM   #139
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
Well, fuck it then:

1. Joshua Tree
2. Achtung Baby
3. Unforgettable Fire
5. Boy
6. War
7. Zooropa
8. Rattle & Hum
9. HTDAAB
10. Pop
11. Passengers
12. ATYCLB
October's a brilliant album that's always the most overlooked in their discography. What's even more amazing is that it sounded that great when they were making up most of it on the spot, well at least with the lyrics.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
October's a brilliant album that's always the most overlooked in their discography. What's even more amazing is that it sounded that great when they were making up most of it on the spot, well at least with the lyrics.
October's haunting. I love it. I never ever want to hear just one song from it; for me, it's the whole album or nothing.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:16 PM   #141
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Also, comparing U2's recent work to their earlier work is futile. When you kick that much ass for the first decade of your career, it's a given that there will be some sort of decline.
Yes. I'd like to believe they still have songs as good as Bad, ASOH, OTH, and so forth in them, but if I'm realistic, at best I don't think they'll ever spit out much beyond the In God's Country level. You can't make UF or JT quality albums forever.

Quote:
That being said, the band still continue to find/make new fans, and songs like "Elevation", which I cannot fucking stand, seems to get the average U2 concert-goer all pumped up.
Must admit, as much as I could do without Elevation and think U2 have about 30 songs that would be even better uptempo rockers to kick a concert into gear, I still get into it at concerts just through the crowd energy.

Quote:
You're awesome.

Can't go wrong with Gloria, Rejoice, Tomorrow, etc.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 PM   #142
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

hey peeps.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #143
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Must admit, as much as I could do without Elevation and think U2 have about 30 songs that would be even better uptempo rockers to kick a concert into gear, I still get into it at concerts just through the crowd energy.
Sigh.

Me too.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 04:02 PM
If you can go to hell based on how you rate certain films, well I'm screwed. On Flixter I gave Casablanca and The Godfather 1/2 star out of 5.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:18 PM   #145
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
October's haunting. I love it. I never ever want to hear just one song from it; for me, it's the whole album or nothing.
The title track says it all. I can do some tracks individually ("Tomorrow," "Gloria," "Rejoice"), but you're right, the whole album reeks of awesome.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:19 PM   #146
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
If you can go to hell based on how you rate certain films, well I'm screwed. On Flixter I gave Casablanca and The Godfather 1/2 star out of 5.
Please explain.

Also, you gonna check out Vertigo and Punch-Drunk Love?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:20 PM   #147
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
You sat down, watched the G-dfather and decided it was a 1/2 star film?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:21 PM   #148
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 08:02 AM
Quote:
Your taste is markedly different than most, and it was funny to see you really like something that's fairly in tune with a differing taste. That's not a bad thing at all, just funny. I didn't think it was that over-the-top, either. If someone found a post of me saying I loved X&Y, for instance, and joked around about it, it wouldn't seem like a big deal because I did actually say it, even if it was x amount of years ago, you know?

Achtung Baby was the album that got me hooked, but Bomb was the first one released when I was a massive fan. My fandom's waned since then, but they'll always be my favorite band.
Back then, my musical knowledge and tastes were very limited. It was a completely different world in that regard. Funnily enough, my trip to see U2 in the US and signing up to last.fm on my return to Australia is what changed things. In the US, I picked up a bunch of CDs since your prices are so much cheaper than ours, then when I got home and signed up to last.fm, I was rather bothered by the fact that it vividly highlighted how little music I really had. So I very quickly began digging into the world of music and now look where things are.

Bizarrely enough, Best Of 1990-2000 is what really turned me into a serious fan. I heard Gone and was hooked. Then a friend of my mother gave me copies of the UABRS and RAH videos. After 11OTT and Bad, there was no going back.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:22 PM   #149
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
The title track says it all. I can do some tracks individually ("Tomorrow," "Gloria," "Rejoice"), but you're right, the whole album reeks of awesome.
I think I might be the only person on Earth that enjoys "Is That All". I know the opening riff is borrowed from Electric Co (How awesome is Electric Co?!!??!?!?!), but, after that, I don't know....not a great song, but, Edge's guitar is so pure on this song, it's like a beam of fucking light. See? This is why I rarely talk about U2 on this board. I sound like a simpering toady.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:23 PM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 04:02 PM
Quote:
Yes. I'd like to believe they still have songs as good as Bad, ASOH, OTH, and so forth in them, but if I'm realistic, at best I don't think they'll ever spit out much beyond the In God's Country level. You can't make UF or JT quality albums forever.
See a few years ago I might have believed this but in the last few years people who have been making music for years like Porcupine Tree, Todd Rundgren and Kate Bush have released one if not their best albums. I saw Return To Forever a few nights ago. They are in their 60's and rocked harder than U2 ever has. I believe talent lasts forever with U2 I just don't think they have the motivation.

Tags
superthread