Penguin, Tasmania Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alas, I didn't have my hopes up for you agreeing with me there. The synth (or whatever it is) effect can be annoying, I guess, but I just love it...the lyrics, the catchiness, everything. :shrug:

It would have a chance at being catchy if that godawful synth weren't mixed so much more prominently than the vocals.

Honestly, I'm feeling pretty lost by this album by now. It's going to be lucky to get a 3/5 out of me at the moment. Some of this feels like they're intentionally not playing to their strengths.

It's not their most cohesive album...some of the songs are just totally failed experiments, I reckon. But the high points are enough to balance it out for me.

You should still listen to Black Sea, though, when we can find you a link. I think you'll be more impressed with it.

Black Sea is rated 3.99 on RYM ... English Settlement is only just behind it, 3.95. I don't get that.

I can't see myself returning to much of this in a hurry. There are a few really good moments, e.g. JATA, All Of A Sudden, and everything other than the verses in Senses, but it's totally bloated ... nothing after All Of A Sudden has done anything to convince me this album is as good as you two and RYM think it is. Maybe Down In The Cockpit and English Roundabout would've sounded better if I hadn't become so bored and predisposed against the album by the preceding five tracks.

Oh, that's a shame, Ax! :down: Never mind. Perhaps we can come back to Black Sea one day. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will.

Right, now that's done, I'm heading out to the bank. :crack:

"Wake Me Up When September Ends." :| My iPod has the sickest sense of humour sometimes.

Oh, that's a shame, Ax! :down: Never mind. Perhaps we can come back to Black Sea one day. If that doesn't change your mind, nothing will.

Right, now that's done, I'm heading out to the bank. :crack:

I'm happy to give Black Sea a go, especially because I really did enjoy the good moments of English Settlement!

Now, who's up for a Brokencyde - BC13 listening party to usher in my 1,000th rating on RYM?

I wish I had it. :(

I also wish I had Sid Vicious's solo album.

:lol: I think I'd rather have Crass' "Penis Envy" or Pussy Galore's "Groovy Hate Fuck".

Where did Liam go? He's meant to rebut my opinions and stuff. :tsk:

I meant my opinion about English Settlement. He failed at the whole listening party thing! :tsk:

Also, I wish John were around. We need to do this BC13 listening party soon.

"Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own."

iPod, I hate you.

I have two versions. I have no idea where the alternate came from, probably GG2.

Oh man, the alternate SYCMIOYO makes my skin crawl even more than the album version makes me want to puke.

Definitely one of my least favourite U2 songs in any form.

Oh man, the alternate SYCMIOYO makes my skin crawl even more than the album version makes me want to puke.

Definitely one of my least favourite U2 songs in any form.

The way Bono sings in that, it makes me wonder if Larry and Adam were taking turns kicking him in the nuts or something.

Random iPod song I forgot I had: Your Protector - Fleet Foxes. Are all their songs like that? Cause I rather like this one.

Back
Top Bottom