Pelican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
So I was roaming around Tower this morning after getting profoundly cracked at the chiropractor's, and one of the employee picks was a band named Pelican. I liked what I heard and may go back and pick it up.

Anyone here have any opinions?

Is it bad to resurrect a thread after nearly two years?

Well, tough beans. I finally got to see these guys last night at a small bar kind of place in San Diego. They were great. I did find my head banging a little during the set. :D

How did I miss this thread first time around? Pelican bloody well own. They're here in Melbourne on the 5th of October. I'm totally there, even though I won't know a soul and nobody I know would even dream of being interested in one of their CDs, let alone going to a gig. I still can't wait.

The latest album, City Of Echoes, is pretty interesting, given their new stylistic approach - i.e. the shorter songs. Works well, really. Australasia is still my favourite album of theirs, though.

I went alone. :up: I was the oldest woman there, and maybe the second oldest person. :uhoh: I have a feeling that's going to ba happening more in the next few decades. :D

My friends have recommend the Fucking Champs and Trans Am. What do you know about them?

saw them a couple of weeks ago in dc and they brought teh rock. city of echoes is an ace album as well.

martha said:
I went alone. :up: I was the oldest woman there, and maybe the second oldest person. :uhoh: I have a feeling that's going to ba happening more in the next few decades. :D

Not quite the core Pelican demographic, eh? :wink:

I always find myself standing out at gigs by virtue of being the only albino. It's proved to be a conversation starter when I go alone!

My friends have recommend the Fucking Champs and Trans Am. What do you know about them?

I haven't actually heard either, though I've heard their names mentioned quite positively and I should probably check them out. I understand The Fucking Champs have a member of Weakling, one of the precious few (read: two) great black metal bands to ever come out of the US, so surely they've got something going for them. That fact along with some of the reviews on RateYourMusic.com make me want to hear their album IV in a hurry.

"City of Echoes" was disappointing for me, still interesting, but too boring

"Australasia" is their best work, is heavier that their other works and not just me, a lot of people think is their best

*edit: Trans Am is interesting, not my favorites, it's not music to listen to and enjoy, is more like... music to get a creepy mood or something

martha said:

Is he around these days?

I just recently got into Pelican, 'City of Echoes' was actually my first album of theirs. I personally really like it, though I can undestand why some who liked their past albums may have been disappointed by it, as it's more concise and almost "poppy" to an extent than 'The Fire In Our......etc'. Haven't been able to find Australiasa anywhere, but I've heard many other people say it's their favorite too, JitB. I'll keep lookin'. I think Pelican is actually making their way from California to here pretty soon Martha, I may have to check them out.

As for The Fucking Champs, I've listened to most of their most recent album. It's fun, but it's an acquired taste. They're admittedly a bit of a "gimmick" type group, as they're playing '80's metal riffs to be funny, or that's the kind of take I had from it. I actually have one close friend who loves them and another who hates them passionately, I don't know what to think really.

Back
Top Bottom