Pedro the Lion... I give props thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
A friend of mine played a song from the band/ artist Pedro the Lion for me in his car a while back...

It was called "When They Really Get to Know You, They Will Run."

(It is a dang fine song with a great guitar riff and I'd recommend it to you all [lo-fi song]).

I'm not a major fan of the indie sound but this song really caught my ear. I went out to Best Buy and bought his/ their (I think after going through a couple band members is now just the only guy in the band) most recently released album called Control .

After really listening to it a couple of times during the past week, I have to say it has become an album that is in my CD player daily and one of my favorite albums this year. The sound is pretty simple in terms of production but I beleieve the sound writing is great. Barzan (I guess you would call him Pedro the Lion), is wonderful lyricist and the album when you listen to it straight through makes for a great story, especially keeping in mind the art work in the album cover...

I, thus, give props and wonder if there are any out there in U2 fandom who acknowledge the genius of Pedro the Lion...

"When They Really Get to Know..." is sonically different from the album Control but stylistically are similar.

I don't want to associate Barzan's voice with another singer b/c that brings bias IMO and can affect the listening experience (affected me a bit b/c he sort of sounds like a relatively famous singer) and the songs sonically are pretty simple in the sense there isn't a lot of production (Sounds like a 3 pc band most of the time).

Either way, Pedro the Lion is great and I need to change my sig...

pedro the lion is a great group. i remember going to see them at a little coffee shop back when i was a freshman in college. definitely recommended :up:

Dang, I should use a spellcheck... Bazan... I meant Bazan... I d/l'ed some live covers he did, and they were awful sounding, but he's been around now for a while and I hear Pedro the Lion has gotten a great word of mouth following, so he 's probably tightened up his live sound. I would love to see him live. New album is coming out too.

I do have to say, CONTROL is a really a nice album...

I have his/their albums Winners Never Quit and Control. I really recommend Control b/c its easier to find than his other albums outside the two I listed. That song I linked is really hard to find on CD as well as not being totally indicative of the sound of Pedro the Lion. Lyrically he has a more literal/ storytelling style and the sound is more somber. But with that somber tone he's got the pop hooks which is what I tend to like.

Back
Top Bottom