Pearl Jam's Given To Fly vs. U2's City of Blinding Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choose...

• Pearl Jam's Given To Fly

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • U2's City of Blinding Lights

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Why the hell should I choose? I love both!

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw
Delivered him wings, "Hey, look at me now"
Arms wide open with the sea as his floor
Ohhhhhhh, power, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

He's... flying... whooooooooooole…
Hiiiiiiiiigh.. flying... ohhhhhhhh

:combust:

Zootlesque said:

As in Zeppelin? Why? :scratch: :wink:

Because the verses sound exactly the same. Robert Plant even stated that they PJ ripped off their song.

And PJ in the coolest way played Given To Fly at the House of Blues 2005 show and then they've invited Robert Plant on stage and played Going to California.

I love City of Blinding Lights, it is my favorite song in the 00's.
Given To Fly was always an excellent song, but never a favorite IMO.

Given To Fly is a good tune...but COBL is top 5 material for me...especially live, where it's unbelievably awesome.

djerdap said:
Because the verses sound exactly the same. Robert Plant even stated that they PJ ripped off their song.

They sound similar but not entirely the same. :huh:

Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine

The bold part sounds completely different from how Given To Fly's lines end.

LemonMelon said:

Oh. You. Look. So. BEAU-TI-FUL. TONIGHT.

:sad:

That's the second worst line in that song after the captain obvious one "and I miss you when you're not around".

Other than that, I love COBL!

I LOVE both, so I voted that way. I guess if I HAD to choose, I'd pick Given To Fly b/c I think City of Blinding Lights comes alive best in concert, whereas Given To Fly just rocks so much ass as is on Yield. :rockon:

Given To Fly has ALWAYS (well, since Yield was released) been one of my Top 3 fav PJ songs.

I way prefer COBL to given to fly - I think there is something about COBL which is much more euphoric. Although that might just be because I've heard it live wheras I haven't heard that pearl jam song live.

It sounds odd but I think Given To Fly has a Promenade and Elvis Presley & America quality to it. It sounds natural unlike COBL which is one of the most forced songs that I've ever heard. Given To Fly is one of Pearl Jam's hidden classics.

Pilate (the b-side to the single) also sounds wonderful. :drool:

Given to Fly is one of my favorite songs off of Yield, which is my favorite Pearl Jam album, but COBL is one of my favorite 2000-era U2 songs, so I voted that I love both.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
these two songs are so different from each other that i would never ever think of putting one against each other.

I really think musically Given To Fly is Pearl Jam's most U2 sounding song... with probably Corduroy closely behind. The build up in the verses, the rousing chorus, the anthemic feel to the song, lots of similarities! Hence the comparison.

djerdap said:

Actually, I'm pretty certain it was the other way around--PJ admitting that LZ were an influence. More specifically, I think it was Stone who talked about it. I can hear a slight and vague similarity, but nothing to write home about.

As for COBL, it was surprisingly great to hear live...much better than the somewhat plodding studio version.

Overall, I'd say these are two equally average songs by two equally great bands.

Zootlesque said:

I really think musically Given To Fly is Pearl Jam's most U2 sounding song... with probably Corduroy closely behind. The build up in the verses, the rousing chorus, the anthemic feel to the song, lots of similarities! Hence the comparison.

I'd add Black to that list, and especially Oceans. Both have a kind of Unforgettable Fire, stream of consciousness feel about them. Eddie's falsettos on those are not too far off from Bono's.

How about U2's most Pearl Jam-sounding song? That, to me, is Exit. PJ would really fly with that one, and Matt would just soar on the drums :drool:

Back
Top Bottom