Pearl Jam's Given To Fly vs. U2's City of Blinding Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choose...

• Pearl Jam's Given To Fly

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • U2's City of Blinding Lights

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Why the hell should I choose? I love both!

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
Given to Fly, easily. City of Blinding Lights came close to being a kicked goal in that it very nearly encapsulated what I assume is everything U2 want from their songs at the moment, and if it had done so, it probably would have been a mild hit for them. But, like a lot of their stuff now, just comes off as trying waaay too hard to be something that is waaay too transparent. It is my favourite Bomb song, but that doesn't put it within my favourite 50 U2 songs.

"I've seen you in the clothes you made
Can you see the beauty inside of me?
What happened to the beauty I had inside of me?"

This is so not a hockey song:huh: and I hear it played at way too many hockey games.

Given To Fly. I had to dig out Yield to listen to it because I couldn't remember what it sounded like. Wow, this is a pretty good song.

City of Blinding Lights, on the other hand, makes me cringe in embarrasment for U2.

from the original rolling stone review of "yield"

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/205925/yield

"Given to Fly" even takes its tune straight from the ultimate album-rock radio ballad, Led Zeppelin's "Going to California," an audacious bit of pop recycling as clever as a prime Puffy sample.

i remember when yield debuted on the charts. britany spear's album was #1 and i think some shitty movie soundtrack was 2. it was then that i realized the alternative music revolution of the early 90's was dead.

My vote is for COBL - My favorite off of HTDAAB

although I like Given To Fly as well, one of my fav PJ's.

Back
Top Bottom