Pearl Jam Wrapping Up New CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkdominatr

Refugee
They said they have 20-25 songs, Worldwide Suicide, 2x4, Unemployable to name a few of the new songs which are supposed to be harder than their last album. Some stuff is supposed to be Who-ish. Sounds good to me.

actually Matt Cameron said the songs do have a harder edge than what they've done recently, and I heard an mp3 of one they played live called "crapshoot". Reminded me of 'Spin The Black Circle" fast, hard punkish, so if that's any idicator. YOu might be able to find it over on one of their fanpages like theskyiscrape.com

I love Pearl Jam's first 5 albums, the last 2? Not so much.

Last edited:
I learned to really like Riot Act as well. I heard Crapshoot and its definetly alot like STBC. It would be so great if the album does have a bit of a harder edge to it. I can't wait for them to tour again. I think it was Mike who said recently that it was comparable to VS. I loved VS. so that would be just fine with me. Heck, they put on such a great live show I'll go no matter what. {{PJ Love}}

In a couple of Seattle radio interviews last Thursday (4/7) Mike McCready said they were about "halfway finished" with the album and were "hopeful" it would be out by year's end.

Good to hear, the new album thingie...

My fav PJ albums:
1. Riot Act - darn good and way underrated
2. Yield - near perfect album
3. Ten - classic, a little old though
4. Vs. - mostly good album
5. Binaural - near perfect
6. Vitalogy - so so
7. No Code - mmm... not the best, definately not the best

cmb737 said:

I thought this same thing immediately after release, but have come to really love Riot Act.

After downloading some of the songs off Riot Act I thought they were so boring that I didn't even buy the album (and that was a tough pill to swallow seeing as I was a fan since the day TEN was released). This new album better freakin ROCK DAMN IT!!!:mad:

Achtung Joshua! said:

After downloading some of the songs off Riot Act I thought they were so boring that I didn't even buy the album (and that was a tough pill to swallow seeing as I was a fan since the day TEN was released). This new album better freakin ROCK DAMN IT!!!:mad:

yeah, I didn't care for the last album at all, save for "thumbing my way", which I think is one of the most poignant songs Eddie has ever written.

I don't need the next album to "rock"; I just need it to be good.

Achtung Joshua! said:

It is possible to love both Ten and Riot Act. Ten is of course one of the greatest albums of all time. But Riot Act is not bad at all. There's the happy sing-along I Am Mine, the absolutely gorgeous Love Boat Captain, the one-of-a-kind You Are, the rocker Save You, the Versus-esque :wink: Green Disease etc. etc. Definitely excited about the new album.

By the way, if you're waiting for them to make another 'Ten', it's not gonna happen.

Riot Act is a solid album. I don't think it's one of their best--in fact, I'd probably call it their worst--but it's still pretty good. Quick run-through:

1. "Can't Keep"--The album peaks early here. Awesome atmospherics and some of Eddie's best lyrical imagery.
2. "Save You"--The obligatory song-written-around-the-word-"fuck." Good raw song.
3. "Love Boat Captain"--Kind of boring. Pretty standard rock song aside from the heavy lyrical matter.
4. "Cropduster"--Another standard rocker with amazing lyrics.
5. "Ghost"--Another standard rocker, although the chorus is pretty neat.
6. "I Am Mine"--Finally, a fucking hook. One of their best ones too. Great chorus, great lyrics, nice succinct outro solo.
7. "Thumbing My Way"--I never liked it much, to be honest.
8. "You Are"--Another great one. Love the guitar effects. The whole vibe is perfect.
9. "Get Right"--Nobody likes this one except me. I like the contrast between the verses and (admittedly stupid) chorus. Short and fun.
10. "Green Disease"--Another good hook. Very memorable melody.
11. "Helphelp"--I don't think anyone likes this one but me either. Wonderfully spooky. Sounds surprisingly good live too.
12. "Bushleaguer"--Tries way too hard. Why, Eddie, why?
13. "1/2 Full"--Standard blues song, but a good one. "Don't see some men as half empty, see them half full of shit." This album is probably Eddie's best lyrically.
14. "Arc"--The obligatory post-Vs. weird track almost everyone skips.
15. "All or None"--And they pick it back up at the end. Some really great solos, and I love the vocal delivery.

And I think Binaural is way underrated. "Light Years," "Nothing As It Seems," "Insignificance," "Of the Girl," "Grievance," "Parting Ways"; it's my favorite album of theirs, honestly.

I'm hopeful for their next one. There were enough good ideas on Riot Act that I think they can pull another classic out if they just focus a little more.

Last edited:
i know a guy who thinks arc is the most brilliant thing they've ever put on an album. he's crazy, though.

Zootlesque said:

By the way, if you're waiting for them to make another 'Ten', it's not gonna happen.

There can never be another Ten seeing as a masterpiece can not be duplicated (as is the case with TJT). But ever since they started hanging out with Neil Young it seems as though the band's lost their edge and gone mellow (boring mellow). And letting Eddie play guitar all the time is not a good thing. Stone, Mike and Jeff need to take over the song-writing duties again like they did back in the good old grunge days.

Back
Top Bottom