Pearl Jam vs. 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
everytime someone mentions pearl jam, whether it's online or in the real world, there's always someone who says "everything they've put out since ten has sucked". but no one ever answers the question, they just say piss off and go on a rant about how much they hate kurt cobain...not really related, i know. it happens though.

so if you feel this way, enlighten those of us who either disagree or are indifferent towards the matter.

WHY do Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, Binaural, and Riot Act suck?

does it just not rock hard enough for you? or did you just get tired of eddie vedder's vocals after so many rip-off singers?

Its typical backlash when someone is as hot as PJ was in the early 90's, then is no longer the "in" thing (largely by their own desire to remain musicians and not rock stars).
They expand their musical boundaries and a percentage of "fans" say they have sold out, or they suck, or they grew old etc.

Happens with many bands.
Interestingly though their albums don't sell too well these days, their concert tickets are still tough to come by, so many of the "They have sucked since 10" people must still be going to the shows, probably only wishing to hear Alive, Jeremy and Evenflow.

For me I think 10 is probably still the strongest album start to finish (Vs. is very close), but to say the other work sucks is absurd. Each album has several great rock songs.

Last edited:
ah, so it's not about the music, it's just about the definition of selling out?

:|

Actually with Pearl Jam its almost the opposite, un-selling out if you will, since their music got less radio play over time (Metallica fans are notorious for calling their band sell-outs cause they started getting radio play). I just used that as one of the example of what people say when they change opinions of a band over time. I think with PJ the line would be they have mellowed, grown old or sucked.

I think with 10 they had a slew of decent melodies, plus there's always the advantage of surprise on a first album. Its timing was vital too of course, following from Nirvana but owing more of a debt to Neil Young and 70s stadium rock, whereas the Nirvana line was more Beatles + punk. That slightly different influence meant they filled a bit of a void there - the grunge band you could slip in next to your 70s vinyl without looking silly.
Since that first album they've always been able to pull out the odd good song but generally the melodies haven't been as strong. I'm not sure whether that was an intentional move by the band because they didn't like the attention but they succeeded in shrinking from centre stage to being an effective niche band with enough of a following to sustain themselves.

You forgot Yield. :|

I think it's sad that very few people who say they are Pearl Jam songs appreciate some of PJ's quieter moments, personally. You never hear people talk about songs like "Elderly Woman..." (Vs.), "Around the Bend," "I'm Open," (No Code), "All Those Yesterdays" (Yield)...etc. These songs show beautiful musicianship and thoughtful, poetic lyrics, but I swear I'm the only person on Earth sometimes who cares about them.

fuck, i'm sorry i forgot yield. *kicks self in the head* how could i forget yield? that has some of my favourite pj songs on it.

:huh:

Yield was, and is, my favourite Pearl Jam album. Although I rarely listen to them these days, if I need a spot of listening to them, I usually opt for Yield.

I don't think I've listened to Ten in a long time.

Typos can be funny

paxetaurora said:
You forgot Yield. :|

I think it's sad that very few people who say they are Pearl Jam songs appreciate some of PJ's quieter moments, personally.
I've never met anyone who say they are a Pearl Jam song. Though there was this guy named Jeremy once... :)

did he speak in class?

what about all the 'daughters' in the world, and the 'elderly woman'? don't tell me you've forgotten them! oh, and like 'pilate', i have a dog.

do the evolution baby

crap...that's what i meant...i knew it wasn't 67

i accidentally left my tape outside at work last summer and it melted...i have yet to replace that album

yertle-the-turtle said:
I put on random Pearl Jam song

so now I'm listening to Crazy Mary

keep off the long road

and off he goes

the rearviewmirror of the golfcart, that is...then i squashed a red mosquito...

rats aren't nearly as bad cos they don't eat, don't sleep...

Back
Top Bottom