Pearl Jam vs. 10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i would...but is there room for both of us?

hail hail (to the thief?)

for those people who relegate thinking about pearl jam from only the "ten" days.....that was 12 fucking years ago, and only one album. 6 studio albums later, I think pearl jam have found their voice by now.:|

"ten", while truly a great album, was tainted for me by their god-awful image at the time, not to mention the frat-boy following they had.

I prefer them now.

Back to the subject, I personally havent been a huge fan of any of Pearl Jam's albums since Vs. Does that mean that I think their albums have sucked since then? By no means.

I dont know why I havent liked much of their stuff since then, I just havent. They've still put out quite a few songs I've liked since then, but none of them have impressed me enough to make me want to buy any of their later albums. Why? I dont know, I have no reasons for why I like or dont like groups, it just turns out that way.

At the same time, 'I Am Mine' from Pearl Jam's latest album could very well be my favorite song of theirs of all time. I'm a hypocrit.

Last edited:
lovin this thread...the speaking in lyrics :lmao:
And :shame: for forgetting Yield...:wink:
Interesting thread though....
There will always be the "Everything after Ten sucked" people. I've come to accept that. I've been a fan since the beginning...summer of 92 was when I was hit with that huge wave called Pearl Jam. Along with U2, they are my favourite band.
What's hilarious about Ten is that...if you throw the question "What's your favourite album?" at Eddie or any other member in the band....they all agree that Ten is their LEAST favourite album. LOL. Eddie once mentioned that if given the chance, he would do that album over again. :der:
All that said....Ten holds great sentimental value to me as it was the album that introduced me to PJ. BUT it is not my favourite album. With U2, it was October, and I love that album still to this day....some would call that album weak or whatever...but I think it is kick ass.
With each album, they have grown and found their "niche" along the way. I love them more with each successive album. Needless to say...Riot Act blew me away....the flow on that album is tremendous. Very well put together...and to think that they left off some gems like Down, Lost Soldier and Undone...well I think that says alot. Just like Radiohead, some of PJ's Bsides outshine their A sides.
So whatever. PJ isn't just about Ten. Nope. No siree. And for those who declare that PJ is about Ten and only Ten are surely missing out. There is not an album of theirs that you can write off as "it sucked". You're obviously not LISTENING. Something that is actually required for music. LOL.
You need a functioning attention span to appreciate Pearl Jam's catalogue.In fact...the attention span required has increased with each successive album. So that should explain why some people shut off anything after Ten or Vs. LOL. For some, it's all about the hard rock anthems....fook the lyrics, just gimme some geeetar. But that's not for me. I'll take the lyrics AND guitar. LOL.
Just on this tour alone I've seen them 9 times...and dammit...if you ask me...this bands gets better and better.
:drool: Pearl Jam :drool:

oh what the fuck.
I've seen them:
2 shows in Seattle in December
Buffalo
Vegas
Toronto
Montreal
MSG 1
MSG 2
Okay...that's 8 times. LOL...:der:

Everything Autumn said!! :yes: Autumn :bow:

As a matter of fact, in recently in a interview done in Mexico, I think it was Jeff that said that they felt TEN was not "them" because they had other people mix it for them.. but when VS came out it was all "PEARL JAM" and they felt that it was who they were.

TEN is a great album but it' s not my favorite! My fav is YIELD *Shame on you forgetting it!* hehehe

I've come across those "Everything after 10 is crap" people! I just ignore them, because like Autumn said they they are probably looking for the guitar! Or they don't bother to listen to the material after TEN. Eddie's lyrics just seem to get better and more profound throught out the years! And I'm all about the over-all aspect ... lyrics, "geetar" lol et et.

They didn't want to be "Rock stars" and I respect that, they have shown that they are all about the music! After all the MUSIC is what counts! Well, at least to me! :D

And RIOT ACT is awesome! I think it's easily becoming my second fav album!!

u2popmofo said:
Back to the subject, I personally havent been a huge fan of any of Pearl Jam's albums since Vs. Does that mean that I think their albums have sucked since then? By no means.

I dont know why I havent liked much of their stuff since then, I just havent. They've still put out quite a few songs I've liked since then, but none of them have impressed me enough to make me want to buy any of their later albums. Why? I dont know, I have no reasons for why I like or dont like groups, it just turns out that way.

Definitely :up:

But if there are some who don't feel they've done anything spectacular since their "debut"... maybe check out one of the dozens of live bootlegs they released a few years back... and the ones soon to be released. If you felt their presence was lacking in the studio, your mind might be changed by live performance.

my fave is vs. i also believe that vitalogy has almost as many standouts, its only flaw is the other songs. there are a lot of not so good songs on it.

I like 10. It was unique, interesting and from the heart. The next album seemed rushed, flat and dull. I hate "Daughter" with a passion. This is my opinion so don't bash me, but I simply do not like any of their other stuff. It just never, kicks in for me. Not everything has to 'kick in' but if it doesn't it had better be very special, and it just isn't. I don't find any of it enjoyable or entertaining or rocking or fun and it doesn't touch me like the story of finding out about his Dad in Evenflo, and Jeremy did. Clearly I am not the only one with this view, so I'm not losing it. If any of you want to love them, I hope you enjoy them, I am not saying they "suck." I too hate it when people go "they suck" but don't say why. And I do NOT hate Kurt Cobain. I'm kind of mad at him for killing himself and throwing the second half of the 90's into a tailspin of shitty music though;)

I don't think I can name a dozen songs I find enjoyable that were recorded 95-99. The new milennium has been somewhat brighter, well, now that rap metal is on its way out!:yes:

it doesn't touch me like the story of finding out about his Dad in Evenflo, and Jeremy did

The songs about Eddie's Dad are "ALIVE" and "RELEASE"

I agree Vitalogy has some great standout songs, but it has so grown on me, still not in my top 5 but I like it.

But if there are some who don't feel they've done anything spectacular since their "debut"... maybe check out one of the dozens of live bootlegs they released a few years back... and the ones soon to be released. If you felt their presence was lacking in the studio, your mind might be changed by live performance.

Definitely! They are AMAZING live! I just get blown away each time I see them in concert!

Post-Ten

If you think PJ after Ten sucks, listen to the following songs:
hail hail
who you are
corduroy (genius)
in my tree(u2-esque)
better man
red mosquito
lukin
brain of j
no way
given to fly
wishlist
do the evolution (this song makes me wanna go out and incite a riot)
push me pull me (profound)
bushleaguer (most relevant song ever written)
love boat captain
i am mine
green disease

This is only a small sample, but they are pretty easy to get.

Re: Post-Ten

Citron said:
If you think PJ after Ten sucks, listen to the following songs:
hail hail
who you are
corduroy (genius)
in my tree(u2-esque)
better man
red mosquito
lukin
brain of j
no way
given to fly
wishlist
do the evolution (this song makes me wanna go out and incite a riot)
push me pull me (profound)
bushleaguer (most relevant song ever written)
love boat captain
i am mine
green disease

This is only a small sample, but they are pretty easy to get.
:hyper:
Awesome list from a New Yorker!!!!! :up: :cute:
lemme get this outta my system:
New York FUCKING New York!!!!! :drool:
There. I'm better now. Words cannot describe how much I miss that place.
I get hints of U2 in Present Tense too.
Other goodies:
Not for You (that one is so fookin liberating)
MFC (another liberating one lol)
In Hiding (ahhh)
Light Years(gorgeous...just gorgeous)

Interesting how you said that about Bushleaguer....I'm impressed. I think it's an awesome song and it is a song like this that requires that attention span I've been referring too. And you certainly got the "relevant" part right! :up:

Mrs. Vedder said:
Everything Autumn said!! :yes: Autumn :bow:

As a matter of fact, in recently in a interview done in Mexico, I think it was Jeff that said that they felt TEN was not "them" because they had other people mix it for them.. but when VS came out it was all "PEARL JAM" and they felt that it was who they were.

TEN is a great album but it' s not my favorite! My fav is YIELD *Shame on you forgetting it!* hehehe

I've come across those "Everything after 10 is crap" people! I just ignore them, because like Autumn said they they are probably looking for the guitar! Or they don't bother to listen to the material after TEN. Eddie's lyrics just seem to get better and more profound throught out the years! And I'm all about the over-all aspect ... lyrics, "geetar" lol et et.

They didn't want to be "Rock stars" and I respect that, they have shown that they are all about the music! After all the MUSIC is what counts! Well, at least to me! :D

And RIOT ACT is awesome! I think it's easily becoming my second fav album!!
Everything Monica said! :bow:
Yer awesome, Mon. :heart:

Black!

Just finished listening to PJ's MTV Unplugged show.
get chills when at the end of Black her starts singing "We belong.....together, together" TRULY BEAUTIFUL!

mmmBono
great suggestions. I'm glad to hear somebody else gets the genius of "Bushleaguer." Then again, I was never a confidence man.

Citron said:
mmmBono
great suggestions. I'm glad to hear somebody else gets the genius of "Bushleaguer." Then again, I was never a confidence man.
A confidence man...but why so beleaguered?
He's not a leader he's a Texas leaguer.
:lmao:
Swinging for the fence...got lucky with a strike.

Oh and I know what yer talking about at the end of Black in the Unplugged....it's to die for. :faint: I'm sure you've seen the Unplugged...and well..my my (during Black) :faint: Eddie is eye candy to say the least.
And you can call me Autumn :sexywink:

u2kitten, you and i disagree on many things regarding music. i'm a little curious as to why you blame kurt cobain's suicide on the decline of rock music in the 90s. would you care to elaborate? personally i'm biased towards rock in the latter half of the 90s because that's when i finally started moving my radio tuner off the oldies station. i've probably got a soft spot for bands that you'd call shit from that time period. i just don't see how it's one man's fault that you didn't enjoy it.

My sister just saw the last US PJ show in Jersey and I was able to download the setlist.

I have to say it was absolutely amazing.

I kind of stopped listening to them years ago, but this show was unreal.

My favorite quote was from Eddie:

"How are you all doing in the back, how bout in the front, well, hang in there because it is going to be a long night."

They then proceeded to play like 30 songs including Hunger Strike in its entirety...

Back
Top Bottom