Pearl Jam Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
36539_10150911269264206_48382669205_9570616_1435437917_n.jpg

For those who are payed members of the fanclub (analog or digital), the download is available of the 2011 Christmas single. When logged in, go to My Account --> My Subscription and you can find the download there. Two studio tracks (covers) this year: Better Things (The Kinks) and Devil Doll (X).

When are we going to get the No Code/Yield reissues....sick of waiting. I imagine they might be pumping those out on a schedule of every two years which would mean next spring. :/

When are we going to get the No Code/Yield reissues....sick of waiting. I imagine they might be pumping those out on a schedule of every two years which would mean next spring. :/
They said that they didn't want to do reissues this year so that they could focus on the new album, I think. I hope they will be out next year.

New tour, another fine setlist (Manchester, June 20th):

01. Release
02. Do The Evolution
03. Corduroy
04. The Fixer
05. Given To Fly
(Some of the crowd chant "Stone-Stone-Stone". Ed talks about their first time in Manchester Pearl Jam only played ten songs because that was all they knew)
06. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(Ed introduces "Pilate" as being written by Jeff Ament)
07. Pilate
(Referring to a crew member Ed tells the crowd to "Meet Pete, I thought he was from Manchester but it turns out he is from Cornwall. Nice surf")
08. Even Flow
09. Unthought Known
10. Nothingman
11. 1/2 Full
12. Insignificance
13. Why Can't I Touch It?-(Buzzcocks-Diggle, Garvey, Maher, Shelley)
14. Immortality
15. Got Some
16. Why Go

Encore Break 1

(Ed dedicates "Just Breathe" to "Liz & Tim who just got married last week. Here is to Liz and Simon, part of our crew who just got married a few months ago. Here is to everyone that married a girl named Liz. It must be good. Stay Newlyweds as long as you can, forever.")
17. Just Breathe
18. Black
19. State Of Love And Trust
20. Arms Aloft-(Bullen, Shields, Slatterly, Stafford, Strummer)
(Ed talks about Joe Strummer and what a great songwriter and human being he was. How Joe has been gone a while but since we listen to his music all the time it still seems recent. He also briefly discusses the tragedy in Toronto where a Radiohead crew member was killed. He says that "for us, our crew is family and I am sure it is the same for them, they lost a member of their family" Paraphrased-not a direct quote)
21. Porch

Encore Break 2

(Ed thanks the crowd and crew and especially the great band X that have been a band for 35 years)
22. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
(Ed says a fan requested the next song. He says'Life is fragile so if you have a request we should play it now. Guaranteed')
23. Come Back
24. Jeremy
25. Alive
26. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young)
(John Doe of X joins the band onstage playing tambourine and singing background vocals)

01. Release
02. Do The Evolution
03. Corduroy
04. The Fixer
05. Given To Fly
(Some of the crowd chant "Stone-Stone-Stone". Ed talks about their first time in Manchester Pearl Jam only played ten songs because that was all they knew)
07. Pilate
(Referring to a crew member Ed tells the crowd to "Meet Pete, I thought he was from Manchester but it turns out he is from Cornwall. Nice surf")
08. Even Flow
09. Unthought Known
10. Nothingman
11. 1/2 Full
12. Insignificance
14. Immortality
15. Got Some
16. Why Go

Encore Break 1

(Ed dedicates "Just Breathe" to "Liz & Tim who just got married last week. Here is to Liz and Simon, part of our crew who just got married a few months ago. Here is to everyone that married a girl named Liz. It must be good. Stay Newlyweds as long as you can, forever.")
17. Just Breathe
18. Black
(Ed talks about Joe Strummer and what a great songwriter and human being he was. How Joe has been gone a while but since we listen to his music all the time it still seems recent. He also briefly discusses the tragedy in Toronto where a Radiohead crew member was killed. He says that "for us, our crew is family and I am sure it is the same for them, they lost a member of their family" Paraphrased-not a direct quote)
21. Porch

Encore Break 2

(Ed thanks the crowd and crew and especially the great band X that have been a band for 35 years)
(Ed says a fan requested the next song. He says'Life is fragile so if you have a request we should play it now. Guaranteed')
23. Come Back
24. Jeremy
25. Alive
(John Doe of X joins the band onstage playing tambourine and singing background vocals)

I'd be happy with that set.

01. Release
02. Do The Evolution
03. Corduroy
04. The Fixer
05. Given To Fly
07. Pilate
08. Even Flow
09. Unthought Known
10. Nothingman
11. 1/2 Full
12. Insignificance
14. Immortality
15. Got Some
16. Why Go

Encore Break 1

17. Just Breathe
18. Black
21. Porch

Encore Break 2

23. Come Back
24. Jeremy
25. Alive
I'd be happy with that set.

Yep, I'd be happy. Seeing them next week! Twice!

I'm seeing them next week as well. Hope they play more than the hour and a three quarters they've got on paper.

They play well over two hours. Manchester was about 2:15, and that was the first show that is usually shorter. Unless it's a festival gig, those are sometimes below two hours due to time constraints.

I'm going to 5 gigs on this tour and I can't fucking wait! :drool: First time I'm doing a real multiple-gig in multiple cities tour, and the only band for which I'd spend that money for.

It's a festival show and there's still a dance act after them. We'll see. It'll be great regardless.

I'm going to 5 gigs on this tour and I can't fucking wait! :drool: First time I'm doing a real multiple-gig in multiple cities tour, and the only band for which I'd spend that money for.

So, to all you concert veterans of this sort, any advices/suggestions?

Be in good shape, well rested, well fed, etc. Because 5 shows in a short period will take a toll on you.
Also, try to enjoy the places you're visiting. There's more than just the hotel and the venue for the show.
For the rest, it's basically what you can expect when you're seeing just one show. Only now you have the routine five times in a short period.

Enjoy!
(Which shows are you going to?)

I'm going to Prague, Berlin I and II, Stockholm and Copenhagen. I'm also seeing New Order in Prague and Radiohead in Berlin, although the latter might very likely be postponed, due to recent tragic events.

I was actually in Prague, Berlin and Stockholm already, but I'm looking forward to seeing those cities again and checking out some stuff that I've missed out on the first time around (no, I'm not one of those who only see the hotel and the venue, quite the opposite). Now, I'll try and listen to your advice about being well rested, but you know, a bit of partying and drinking before and after gigs is not something foreign to me... :wink:

Manchester II (June 21st), featuring only 4 repeats from the night before, a world premiere of an obscure b-side, and plenty of other surprises:

01. Go
02. Animal
03. Hail Hail
(Ed thanks the crowd for "already bringing it" more than the crowd the previous night. He says on a cold rainy day like today Manchester reminds him of Seattle)
04. I Am Mine
05. Wishlist
(Ed introduces Mike as the "best friend a person can have")
06. Even Flow
07. Lukin
08. Not For You
09. Down
10. Amongst The Waves
11. Daughter/WMA
(Ed discusses the idea of observing and interacting with poorly behaved people serves as an inspiration for how not to behave. He also relates an incident that involved seeing someone on a balcony several stories above the street he was walking that had a needle in his arm. Seeing that inspired him to write "Deep")
12. Deep
13. Present Tense
14. Once
15. Save You
16. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)
(Crowd sings first verse and chorus of "Better Man")

Encore Break 1
17. Inside Job
18. Off He Goes
(Ed talks about a couple named Lisa and Tobias that met at Hyde Park when Pearl Jam played there two years ago. He dedicates "Just Breathe" to them.)
19. Just Breathe
(Ed talks about the many firsts that happened in Manchester including the first railway station and splitting the atom. He goes on to say that Pearl Jam is going to something for the first time that is only slightly less important but almost as hard, play "Hitchhiker" for the first time)
20. Hitchhiker
21. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
(Ed introduces band members and thanks X for playing with them. He also thanks the fans)
22. Wasted Reprise
23. Life Wasted
24. Alive
25. Sonic Reducer-(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)
26. Yellow Ledbetter (Little Wing-Hendrix)

Last night's show in Amsterdam was pretty good. :) Some of my favourites were played again (In Hiding, Black), some others I hadn't heard before (Last Kiss, Porch, Smile) and just a great rockin' set!

Set List:
01. Interstellar Overdrive-(Barrett, Mason, Waters, Wright)-instrumental
02. Corduroy
03. Why Go
04. Given To Fly
05. Brain Of J
06. Amongst The Waves
(Ed addresses the audience in Dutch.)
07. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
08. In Hiding
09. Even Flow
10. World Wide Suicide
11. Rats
12. Lukin
13. Not For You (Ed appears to lose his place or forget the lyrics. The audience has been singing along so he listens to them for bit then he says "got it" and starts singing again)

(Ed mentions that when they first played Amsterdam they were just kids and now they all have kids. He makes a joke about the wisdom of the kids picking Amsterdam as the city they wanted to visit. He says, "The kids are all here and we want to play this song for them."),
14. Better Things-(Ray Davies)
15. Nothing Man
16. The Fixer w/ Ray Cameron on percussion
17. Do The Evolution

Encore Break 1
(Ed says, "May I raise a toast to what has been the best crowd of the tour yet")
18. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
(Ed plays about 27 seconds of "Pulled Up" by The Talking Heads-(David Byrne)
19. Just Breathe
20. Comatose
21. Unthought Known
22. Porch

Encore Break 2
(Ed thanks the audience and says when they have been "as good as this the band feels like they should play at least a few requests. They don't take orders though.")
23. Smile
24. Green Disease
(Ed introduces Boom as a warrior from the Hawaiian Islands that has been with the band for ten years.)
25. Love, Reign O'er Me-(Townshend)
26. Black
27. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) Pearl Jam are joined onstage by Ray Cameron, John Doe of X and Jerry Harrison of The Talking Heads.
(Ed introduces the band says we have two of the best drummers in the world, DJ Bonebrake and Matt Cameron)
28. Indifference

Tonight again! :happy: I'm still hoping to finally hear Sometimes, Breakerfall and Rearviewmirror. And that Pearl Jam at least starts the show with a slow song (besides Sometimes I'm also OK with Of The Girl, Wash or Release). Of the four times I've seen them up to now, they started the show with the Interstellar Overdrive/Corduroy combo three times and the other show started with Elderly Woman... But their slow songs are just as good! :drool:

But whatever my wishes are, it'll probably be epic again. :rockon:

So, a fan who is one of the oldest Ten Club members wrote the setlist for Amsterdam II:

Set List:
01. Wash
02. Last Exit
03. Animal
04. State Of Love And Trust
Ed says that he ran into someone who told him the Dutch he spoke during the first night was wonderful. So he knows that there is at least one liar in Amsterdam. He says he isn't going to speak any Dutch tonight and the crowd boos. He also notes someone vomited in the building last night so the Ziggo Dome is an official rock and roll building. And for anyone who doesn't understand my English (says something in Dutch).
05. Severed Hand
06. Corduroy
07. I Got Shit
(Ed says that there is "someone here that is part of the family. She is going from 11 to 12. Her name is Lilly.")
08. Daughter/WMA
09. Nothing As It Seems
(Chad Smith of The Red Hot Chili Peppers fills in for Stone's regular tech during the guitar change)
10. Got Some
11. Dissident
12. Once
(Ed comments that he admires everyone who ride bikes in Amsterdam. He wishes that back in the states people would trade guns for bikes. He says, "It seems that Arizona and Florida are in an arms race with each other.")
13. Glorified G
14. Deep
15. The Fixer w/ Ray Cameron on percussion
16. Bugs (Ed plays this on electric guitar instead of accordion)
17. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

Encore Break 1
(Ed thanks the audience for the great energy over the last two nights. He mentions that they had some help with tonight's unusual set list and they don't usually play this next song at this time)
18. Release
19. Hail, Hail
(Ed-"I think this is one for the serious collector")
20. Alone
21. Footsteps
22. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
23. Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
24. Sonic Reducer--(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)
25. Alive
26. Baba O'Riley-(Townshend)
"Ed thanks the families and audience for coming to the show. Ed also talks about Brian, one of the earliest members of the Ten Club."
27. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing-(Hendrix)

That's an absolutely insane set. It will be very difficult to top that one later in the tour.

Yeah, he did a great job. I had an excellent time, about fourth row, right in front of Mike. Highlight for me was Rearviewmirror. :)

I saw them at Rock Werchter a few days ago. The set was shorter than a normal show (21 songs) but I loved every minute of it. It was probably the best show of the festival.

Their Neil Young cover is so good.

So, a fan who is one of the oldest Ten Club members wrote the setlist for Amsterdam II:

Set List:
01. Wash
02. Last Exit
03. Animal
04. State Of Love And Trust
Ed says that he ran into someone who told him the Dutch he spoke during the first night was wonderful. So he knows that there is at least one liar in Amsterdam. He says he isn't going to speak any Dutch tonight and the crowd boos. He also notes someone vomited in the building last night so the Ziggo Dome is an official rock and roll building. And for anyone who doesn't understand my English (says something in Dutch).
05. Severed Hand
06. Corduroy
07. I Got Shit
(Ed says that there is "someone here that is part of the family. She is going from 11 to 12. Her name is Lilly.")
08. Daughter/WMA
09. Nothing As It Seems
(Chad Smith of The Red Hot Chili Peppers fills in for Stone's regular tech during the guitar change)
10. Got Some
11. Dissident
12. Once
(Ed comments that he admires everyone who ride bikes in Amsterdam. He wishes that back in the states people would trade guns for bikes. He says, "It seems that Arizona and Florida are in an arms race with each other.")
13. Glorified G
14. Deep
15. The Fixer w/ Ray Cameron on percussion
16. Bugs (Ed plays this on electric guitar instead of accordion)
17. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling)

Encore Break 1
(Ed thanks the audience for the great energy over the last two nights. He mentions that they had some help with tonight's unusual set list and they don't usually play this next song at this time)
18. Release
19. Hail, Hail
(Ed-"I think this is one for the serious collector")
20. Alone
21. Footsteps
22. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 2
23. Crown Of Thorns-(Mother Love Bone, A. Wood)
24. Sonic Reducer--(Bators, Blitz, Chrome, Magnum, Thomas, Zero)
25. Alive
26. Baba O'Riley-(Townshend)
"Ed thanks the families and audience for coming to the show. Ed also talks about Brian, one of the earliest members of the Ten Club."
27. Yellow Ledbetter/Little Wing-(Hendrix)

That's an absolutely insane set. It will be very difficult to top that one later in the tour.

I met Brian before one of the 2003 Mansfield shows. He befriended Jeff way back after a club show in Rhode Island. (I kind of think it was a bag job that he won the longtime fan contest and the trip to Europe as he is always on Jeff's guest list for local New England shows, so he's not just along time fan, but he's pretty good friends with Ament). That being said, he is a very cool down to earth guy and I'm quite sure very appreciative of the trip. And he came up with a damn good setlist. That boot's gonna be a huge seller.

The Prague set may not have the shock value of the Amsterdam II one, but it was a long gig (two and a half hours, 30 songs) and it did feature a fantastic crowd, the craziest version of Do the Evolution with some awesome crowd participation, singing Stone's famous riff in the middle of the song for about four times in a row (I can't wait to see a Youtube clip of that), plus some rare surprises as well. It just might be the best PJ show I've ever went to.

Set List:
01. Sometimes
02. Animal
03. Given To Fly
04. Got Some
Ed talks about how much it means to them to stand on a stage where X had been early in the evening.
05. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
Ed, referring to the ceiling of the 02 arena that has spoked circle support, says when he was watching X play he thought the ceiling looked like God's eye. He then paraphrases Oscar Wilde when asked if he (Oscar) believed in God, Oscar replied, 'No, I believe in something much bigger'. Ed then said, "Tonight we are going to call this song "God's Eye".
06. God's Dice
07. The Fixer
08. I Am Mine
09. Corduroy
10. Even Flow
11. Setting Forth
12. Not For You/Modern Girl-(Sleater Kinney)
13. Push Me, Pull Me
Ed says "Thank you very much" in Czech.
14. Garden
Ed asks to see all the flags the audience are holding. He comments on the variety of flags the audience has. He says "aren't you glad we got you to come to Prague? A hidden gem".)
15. Half Full (during the song Ed reflects a spotlight off of his guitar into the audience)
Ed-"I would like to dedicate this to our great friend John Doe"
16. Unthought Known
(Ed says there are lot of people that see every show including the crew, X and family. He says, "you know it's not bullshit when I say this is the best crowd we have had on this tour." He mentions his injury and thinking that playing music in a band might get taken away from him and how happy he was to be able to play in a place as beautiful as Prague with the people here tonight is something the band really appreciate.)
17. Wasted Reprise
18. Life Wasted
19. Why Go

Encore Break 1
20. Of The Girl
Ed dedicates "Just Breathe" to Javier and Marta.
21. Just Breathe
22. Crazy Mary-(Williams)/ Angie-(Jagger, Richards)
23. Once
24. Do the Evolution (crowd continues to sing the "oh, oh, oh" to the melody of the song until the band comes back for the encore and even once the get on stage.)

Encore Break 2

Ed says he was walking with Exene after X's set and she said "it is a great crowd tonight." Exene was correct as always. Ed introduces the band with Stone holding notes so Ed can get the Czech words for their instruments
25. World Wide Suicide
26. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) (Ed implores the audience to give him a break from singing-they should enjoy singing as well. He sings the first line and the audience takes over until the chorus when Ed starts singing again. At the "save it for later" outro he improvs lyrics only keeping the "don't run away" line from the song.)
27. Black
28. Alive
29. Baba O'Riley-(Townshend)
(Ed asks the crowd something in Czech)
30. Yellow Ledbetter

I probably popped into this thread at some earlier page and said this, because I know I've said it a number of times before. I can't remember what or where the article interview or whatever I was reading came from cos it was probably a good ten or so years ago, but I vaguely remember the author saying so,etching about how they couldn't think of another band with such a solid, and pretty large, selection of cover songs pretty much indicative of a band/vedder just proving that they really enjoy listening to music, especially a band of that level of popularity, and with their own music so well-established at this point. The argument that Springsteen comes close if not equal can be made, but I tend to agree with that. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that even a lot of the people who make some of my favorite music out there, don't always have the greatest taste in my opinion on music they chose to list in those articles where magazines ask them whats currently playing in their cd player/on their iTunes playlists. Pearl Jam, however, I'd give a shit about.

I hate the fact that ive still never seen pearl jam live.

Back
Top Bottom