Pearl Jam-Most under-rated band ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they've personally and consciously made the decision to bow out of the spotlight. They've kept a very strong and loyal fan base, and have created some very solid albums. But still haven't had quite the magic with the last two albums. Binaural was pretty flat, Riot Act was good but it lacked greatness.

doubleU said:
I think they've personally and consciously made the decision to bow out of the spotlight. They've kept a very strong and loyal fan base, and have created some very solid albums. But still haven't had quite the magic with the last two albums. Binaural was pretty flat, Riot Act was good but it lacked greatness.

:up: I agree with the lack of greatness mention. Pearl Jam's story is a very interesting one, but you've got to dig for it, because the mainstream press has taken a pass on covering the facts. They would be everywhere right now, if they wanted to be--all over the charts, etc. As a live act, I'd rank them ahead of U2 and shoulder to shoulder with Bruce Springsteen. PJ retreated at the peak of their fame, deliberately, to retain of sense of themselves of their music before everything imploded. They have the best fan club in the world, and reward fans with great concert seats without hassle. There's a very cool respect thing between the fans and the band--almost an organic throwback to the 1960's and 70's music scene when the dollar didn't dictate all.

For newer fans, or those who think they know PJ, I'd implore them to penetrate through everything they think they know or, have heard. Personally, I think the first album, and the one most revered by everyone and his brother--Ten--is the most over-produced and over-rated. Instead, check out the punk-driven songs on Vitalogy, the middle-eastern tinges on No Code, and the other two greats known as Yield and Vs.

Final Straw said:
Specially for Ed Vedder, my hero. Discuss!

Wow, that is uh, um, really.. um.. *chuckles* I'm honored. Thank You.

Originally posted by doubleU

Well, you know uh, we did make the decision to bow out of the um, spotlight. You know, uh, I'm very, actually we [pearl jam] are very protective of the.. um.. uh, music aspect of it. We never wanted to um, become a celebrity because um, it's like a hollow Easter egg, you know? Um, I understand that uh, we are celebrities, um, I guess but um, uh, we need to maintain our focus. Um, I joined a band because um, I-I..uh, I was passionate about music not because I wanted to be a "rock-star." There is uh, nothing wrong with being a "Rock-Star," I mean I um, have become accustom of being a um, uh Rock Genius *laughs* but um, you have to also um, take into account, um your values and um, not compromise them... um.. *long pause* you know honor yourself and what you um, believe.

As far as um, Binaural and Riot Act falling short of greatness well, that's the um, beauty of music; it's all subjective.

To everyone else, um, thanks for your great and um, kind words. I feel loved!!

- Ed Vedder

Last edited:
They are a great band. Period.

And they put on an amazing live performance. Very little theatrics, mostly just straight-forward rock and roll.

That said, Binaural was a hard pill to swallow. I didn't care much for it, personally.

Riot Act, in my opinion, was a return to form. Very good album. Not quite what they are fully capable of, but very close.

I look forward to the new album with much anticipation.

BrownEyedBoy said:
The most underrated band ever would be Queen. They should be considered musical Gods by everyone and they are not. :tsk:

Actually, the most underrated band ever would be Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.

They are only under-rated by those who can't break free from corporate television and radio.

Other than that, I'd say they still get their props despite the last two subpar albums.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they are under rated. They are definitely important but they are hardly The Beatles or Pink Floyd.

And from a personal point of view the brilliance factor seems to be a bit weak. Of some of their major singles, Even Flow and Jeremy are unquestionable rock and roll masterpieces, but I find Alive and Better Man very hard to digest. They bore the shite out of me.

No Code was a good album though, and a worthwhile and admirable departure.

Funny how most people agree with the Binaural/Riot Act ratings. Binaural was solid rock and roll, but stand out the least among their recordings. And yes, while Riot Act was a nice start, they still need to make up the ground they've lost since Yield.

I agree completely with angelordevil about Ten. I just don't get what people are still raving about. Totally overproduced; it's a shame they hadn't hooked up with Brendan O'Brien yet. The songs are decent but the album doesn't hold up too well on the second half, despite the brilliant "Porch". Vs. just shows you what they were able to do with a better guy behind the boards and a little more focus on the rhythm section.

No Code is one of the best albums of the 90's in my opinion. Criminally underrated. Never knew what the band was capable of until that point, and it's really their White Album, but with much more feeling and introspection. Fans of U2 would really appreciate the spirituality, lyrically and musically.

And of course Vitalogy just kicks all kinds of ass. It may have been written before Cobain's death, but as a post-Nirvana statement it's just so timely, so angry, so cathartic. The final track is loathed by many, but behind the Revolution #9 craziness is some really haunting stuff alluding again to Cobain. A masterwork.

Are Pearl Jam underrated? Hard to say. Those mid-to-late 90's albums sure are, but they haven't done anything of note in nearly 10 years, aside from playing a lot of damned good concerts. They need to put out something fantastic. It's one thing to shy away from the huge record promotional bullshit and legions of fair-weather pop fans, but you dwell in obscurity for too long and maybe you don't know how to hit those peaks again.

U2DMfan said:
IMO, Vitalogy is easily one of the top 5 albums of the 90's.

Easily.

I've always thought Vitalogy has some of their best work to date, except I loathe Satan's Bed and Whipping, to me they wreck the album.

I actually like Bugs and Foxywhatever, and I can sometimes stand Pry To.

Zoocoustic said:
That said, Binaural was a hard pill to swallow. I didn't care much for it, personally.

Riot Act, in my opinion, was a return to form. Very good album. Not quite what they are fully capable of, but very close.

For me it's precisely the other way round. I like Binaural and think it has many good/great songs. Riot Act, on the other hand, is kinda disappointing to me. I just can't get into that record. Sure, it has some good songs, but I think most of it is a bit too generic.

doubleU said:

I've always thought Vitalogy has some of their best work to date, except I loathe Satan's Bed and Whipping, to me they wreck the album.

I actually like Bugs and Foxywhatever, and I can sometimes stand Pry To.
Whipping is one of the greatest PJ songs performed live in concert.

Hewson said:
Whipping is one of the greatest PJ songs performed live in concert.

Yeah, I've seen it live and I do admit it does bring some life to the song. But it still doesn't help the fact that it's a horrible lyric and a weak chorus.

Ok, here's the deal, i'm going on a shopping spree for new cd's and i want to get a another PJ albums.
I've got, Ten, No Code, Vitalogy and Verses. What other one should i get if i was to get one?
Please, good suggestions, i'm trusting your taste!

I love rock Pearl Jam but have recently found my self prefering their slower songs. Any ideas?

Pearl Jam - the best band of the 90's
Tell me which band has the balls to go from mainstream, but amazing rock and roll records like Ten and Vs. to beautiful experimental landscapes of No Code?
Riot Act is a great record for me. Save You, Love Boat Captain, All Or None are easily one of the best things they have ever done.

And I don't even have to start ranting how good they are live...

Canadiens1160 said:

Actually, the most underrated band ever would be Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band.

Wrong-O!!!

Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers :love:

miracle_cure.gif

Check out the song titles on this record alone! Chainsaw Earle, Ladies in The Centre, Carry Me Home To Me Granny's, Me Car, The Pits...Rum Ri Row :drool:

I actually thought Eddie would do a fabulous job with Salt Water Joys (my favourite) when PJ came to St. John's last fall. My uncle manages this band, if anyone is interested in tickets, shirts, etc.

*sound of water dripping in very empty room*

Man... No Code is definitely a grower I think. I just got it for dead cheap online, listened to it once, did not find it special at all... but the second time round, I like Hail Hail, Who You Are, In My Tree and Off He Goes. Still listening to it and I can't stand Lukin. :huh:

Final Straw said:
Ok, here's the deal, i'm going on a shopping spree for new cd's and i want to get a another PJ albums.
I've got, Ten, No Code, Vitalogy and Verses. What other one should i get if i was to get one?
Please, good suggestions, i'm trusting your taste!

I love rock Pearl Jam but have recently found my self prefering their slower songs. Any ideas?

If you don't have it already you so need YIELD, one of their best albums, dare I say their best! Of course just my opinion.

I agree. If you have Ten, Versus and Vitalogy, I'd definitely without a question go for Yield!!!

Low Light
In Hiding
:love: :heart: :drool:

Zootlesque said:
Man... No Code is definitely a grower I think. I just got it for dead cheap online, listened to it once, did not find it special at all... but the second time round, I like Hail Hail, Who You Are, In My Tree and Off He Goes. Still listening to it and I can't stand Lukin. :huh:

If you haven't already tried, check it out on headphones. It's their least "noisy" album, and really calls for an intimate setting. Stuff like "I'm Open" and "Present Tense" will really blow you away once you give yourself over to them. Glad you like In My Tree, one of their all-time greatest tracks. Probably the closest they've come to U2.

And a big thumbs up to Stone Gossard singing on Mankind. Should have been a hit single.

Lukin's not a great song by any stretch of the imagination, but it's like, what, a minute long? Take a piss break.

What about that fuzzy Hendrix-style guitar on Red Mosquito? How amazing is that? Smile and Off He Goes show that they were taking good notes when playing/recording with Neil Young. Love the harmonica and the outro solo on Smile. And that beautiful lullaby to close the album?

Can't get enough of No Code.

djerdap said:
Pearl Jam - the best band of the 90's
Tell me which band has the balls to go from mainstream, but amazing rock and roll records like Ten and Vs. to beautiful experimental landscapes of No Code?

Not to throw this thread off a complete tangent or to incite yet another comparison war (of which we already have far too many on this forum nowadays), but... erm... Radiohead?
And to go back a few years more and out of the strict rock 'n' roll idiom, but Talk Talk also went way out after their initial, mainstream-like albums.
And of course, we shouldn't forget U2 with Zooropa (, Original Soundtracks 1) and Pop.

:)

lazarus said:

If you haven't already tried, check it out on headphones.

Yeah, I figured it probably sounds better on headphones! Maybe over the weekend I'll give it another listen. :hmm:

lazarus said:

Stuff like "I'm Open" and "Present Tense" will really blow you away once you give yourself over to them. Glad you like In My Tree, one of their all-time greatest tracks. Probably the closest they've come to U2.

And a big thumbs up to Stone Gossard singing on Mankind. Should have been a hit single.

What about that fuzzy Hendrix-style guitar on Red Mosquito? How amazing is that?

And that beautiful lullaby to close the album?

Can't get enough of No Code.

You were right! I'm in love with this album. I listen to it on a daily basis. Whether it's the sing along chant of Who You Are, the winding melody of Off He Goes, the delicious fuzzy guitar of Red Mosquito, the almost REM-ish Mankind, the soul-searching and spirituality of Present Tense and I'm Open or the beautiful, peaceful and perfect ending of Around The Bend... this is great stuff! To think I got it online for like 3 bucks w/ shipping! :love:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom