Pearl Jam - "Love Boat Captain" Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerhour24

ONE love, blood, life
As any big Pearl Jam fan knows, they have a lot of material out there, but this one gets me every time, such a powerful and dark song. If I was forced to pick a favorite PJ song, it'd have to be this.

Beautiful beautiful song!

Is this just another phase? earthquakes making waves,...
Trying to shake the cancer off? stupid human beings,...
Once you hold the hand of love,.. its all surmountable.

:heart:

Riot Act has some absolutely killer songs and some filler.

Zootlesque said:
Beautiful beautiful song!

Is this just another phase? earthquakes making waves,...
Trying to shake the cancer off? stupid human beings,...
Once you hold the hand of love,.. its all surmountable.

:heart:

Easily one of their best :up:

My :heart: starts right where you left off :wink:

hold me and make it the truth
that when all is lost there'll be you
cuz to the universe, i don't mean a thing
and there is just one word i still believe
and it's love...

Then, there are the most painful lines maybe ever in a PJ song...given what happened at Roskilde:

it's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey
lost nine friends we'll never know, two years ago today
:(

angelordevil said:
Then, there are the most painful lines maybe ever in a PJ song...given what happened at Roskilde:

it's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey
lost nine friends we'll never know, two years ago today

That wasn't about 9/11?

Zootlesque said:

That wasn't about 9/11?

Nope, but interesting that you mention that. All great songs are universal at times, but the lyrics relate specifically to a European festival at Roskilde in 2000, where nine fans were crushed to death during PJ's set. It wasn't a Pearl Jam show, and the band had no input in security whatsoever. There were over 70,000 people in attendance. From the stories I've heard, the band stopped repeadedly to calm the crowd, but the domino effect was so overwhelming once a few of them got rowdy that there was no stopping the damage. It was pretty awful, and the band briefly considered breaking up from various reports. They also took a lot of heat from so-called experts who claimed their concerts were "violent," and so on. Nothing could be farther from the truth. I've yet to see a band place a greater importance on fan security than Pearl Jam, U2 included. They're actually known for being fan-friendly in every aspect of their operations. The issue in this case was a lapse in security from the festival organizers. There was a lack of railings/dividers that would have protected people from being hurt.

I used to have a pic from the show where Eddie looked so distraught...can't find it now, but he was completely broken

powerhour24 said:
Until recently the event caused them to not play festivals.

Yep. It's really interesting to watch clips from Leeds and Reading last year...Eddie addresses the crowd several times to ensure "everyone is okay." Security aside, it must have been a huge psychological barrier to play those larges venues once again.

My favorite from Riot Act. It's great when it builds and builds to an awesome climax (excellent McCready solo - that guy was really great on that album; I Am Mine, 1/2 Full and All or None have as well some excellent guitar work).

Love Boat Captain being played live in images:

FPI612010330AR_b.jpg

eddie_vedder_295.jpg

JeffAment.jpg

060802_gossard_vmed_1p.widec.jpg

love_boat.jpg

dd_pearljam2.jpg

Well the beauty of many PJ songs, like many U2 songs is that while they may have been written about something, but their lyrics leave enough open to be applied to many things, while those specific lines do refer to the Rokslide incident, the message of the song can still be broad.

Hewson said:
Love Boat Captain being played live in images:

love_boat.jpg

Nice try...you almost got away with it :wink:

powerhour24 said:
Well the beauty of many PJ songs, like many U2 songs is that while they may have been written about something, but their lyrics leave enough open to be applied to many things, while those specific lines do refer to the Rokslide incident, the message of the song can still be broad.

I completely agree...that's the beauty of so many PJ songs, their ambiguity. This is the band that brought you Yellow Ledbetter, after all! It's actually rare for them to write about a specific, documented event like those lines in LBC.

As far as I Am Mine and 9/11, I can certainly see that connection...it's the impression I had as soon as I heard it. The "official" story, however, is that it was written before 9/11, in a hotel room before PJ's first return to performing since Roskilde.

The ambiguity is supported by them, it's why they don't make many music videos...and when they do they're along the lines of "Life Wasted"...not going to ruin your interpretation, just might turn your stomach along the way :lol:

Bumping, not enough love going on for this track around here, even given the PJ fandom here, those of you who ignored "Riot Act" have to check out tracks like this, "I am Mine", etc.

powerhour24 said:
Bumping, not enough love going on for this track around here, even given the PJ fandom here, those of you who ignored "Riot Act" have to check out tracks like this, "I am Mine", etc.

Well, thankfully those who have the compilation rearviewmirror will know I Am Mine and Save You. But I guess Love Boat Captain could be very underrated.

Back
Top Bottom