pearl jam brisbane / ethical dilemma - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #16
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:23 PM
Also, as a side note, I don't always dance around at shows either. Sometimes I just stand still, because I'm focusing on the music. But to me that's essentially different from sitting - sitting implies relaxation, distance, spectating. Rock bands are not symphony orchestras. Rock music is rooted in the hips.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:19 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bgmckinney
Rock music is rooted in the hips.
*cue Austin Powers "Yeah baby!!!*

Old 11-15-2006, 09:21 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:23 PM
Quote:

Pearl Jam did put on a great show. I'd be surprised if it was really as good compared to other shows as the PJ forum reviewer wrote; but what the different points of view demonstrate is the degree to which subjective enjoyment determines how well fans think a band performed. If the people around you refuse even to stand up, it can impact your enjoyment.
As for the crowd... I was surprised at how subdued they were. I'd not seen Pearl Jam before, but I had expected a louder, more active audience. Even at the end of the show when the houselights were up and the band were playing Yellow Ledbetter, there were still plenty of people sitting down. The women beside me talked through every song they didn't know, which was about half of them.
If I'd been on the floor, though, or in a more energetic section, surrounded by singing, dancing, fist-pumping people, I would have extrapolated from my experience to the crowd at large. And to be fair, Eddie did compliment the crowd; but apparently the Sydney crowds had been so lacklustre that the band was ready to welcome any show of enthusiasm. I can't help but think, though, they can't really have been that happy with the crowd - for a U2 show, it would have been a dull lot indeed. PJ deserve better.
i've got a theory based on these two reviews... yes, a theory on pearl jam reviews... i need a life, i know.

pearl jam does such a good job with their fan club, that the majority of the hardcore junkies end up on the floor, where they can rock out like maniacs, while the people who are simply fans or just want to see a show are in the seats, less likely to "rock out" and/or those who want to "rock out" are more scattered.

i may be on to something here.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

i've got a theory based on these two reviews... yes, a theory on pearl jam reviews... i need a life, i know.

pearl jam does such a good job with their fan club, that the majority of the hardcore junkies end up on the floor, where they can rock out like maniacs, while the people who are simply fans or just want to see a show are in the seats, less likely to "rock out" and/or those who want to "rock out" are more scattered.

i may be on to something here.
Yes you may. But the designers at interference have done a much better job at putting together an elegant, coherent fan forum. The Ten Club site looks like it was cobbled together by someone with a secondhand Dell and a copy of Dreamweaver for Dummies.
I also enjoy reading PJ fan reviews of U2 (either U2 shows or Bono performing with PJ). These reviews fall into two categories:
1) U2 rocks, and
2) U2 should retire, preferably by ten years ago, and Bono's severed head should be sold on eBay, as part of the Kyoto Protocol's efforts to reduce global hot air emissions. Also the Edge sucks.
Seriously, though, you make a good point. At future PJ shows I will be on the floor.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Bono's severed head should be sold on eBay, as part of the Kyoto Protocol's efforts to reduce global hot air emissions.
Oh dear. I think I'm going to hell for sure now. I laughed. A lot.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Old 11-20-2006, 02:22 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I also enjoy reading PJ fan reviews of U2 (either U2 shows or Bono performing with PJ). These reviews fall into two categories:
1) U2 rocks, and
2) U2 should retire, preferably by ten years ago, and Bono's severed head should be sold on eBay, as part of the Kyoto Protocol's efforts to reduce global hot air emissions. Also the Edge sucks.
take a look around this forum to see how u2 fans feel about [insert generic competition band here] and you won't find much difference

maybe a little less cursing and civility... maaaaybe
Old 11-21-2006, 01:29 AM   #24
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
Old 11-21-2006, 09:29 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

i think that australia concert is supposed to be released on DVD... if so i certainly hope they remaster it
Old 11-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #26
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i think that australia concert is supposed to be released on DVD... if so i certainly hope they remaster it
I think they weren't prepared for the volume of sound those five musicians were about to generate. I can't tell who plays what, just listening to it, but whoever plays the opening chords - probably Stone - is extrememly faint. It's a bit irritating, in a funny way - after all these years I get to see PJ and (half of) U2 play together, and I can't hear who plays what. Oh well. Bring on Hawaii.