Pearl Jam and U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

One Tree Still

Acrobat
I went to the Pearl Jam show last night and I gotta say - they pretty much smoke U2 as musicians.

I still like U2 far better, because I like what they stand for and prefer their music, but Pearl Jam is a kick ass band.

I was sitting in the Sonics' owner's suite (free ticket through sweet connections!) which was directly behind the stage and up about 20 feet - so we could see the band very clearly and watch all the backstage stuff (guitar techs and sound people, etc.). It was really cool.

And Matt Cameron is a killer drummer!

It was interesting - they started off slow (this is from memory)

1. Elderly Woman...
2. Black
3. Finding My Way (?) (from the new album)

then they kicked in up a notch

4. Given to Fly
5. Even Flow

Then a buch of stuff from the new album, then some of the old regulars

Notables that they didn't play were: Alive, Jeremy, Rearviewmirror, Go, Dissident, In My Tree, In Hiding.

Good show - pretty mellow crowd though. All reserved seating so no mosh pit.

From TSIS...

12/8:

soundcheck: Black, Insignificance, Love Boat Captain, You Are, Even Flow, Light Years, I Got Shit, Blood, Save You x2
setlist: Elderly Woman, Black, Thumbing My Way, Nothing As It Seems, Given To Fly, Save You, Hail Hail, Ghost, Corduroy, Grievance, Green Disease, I Am Mine, Love Boat Captain, You Are, 1/2 Full, Even Flow, Wishlist, Blood
encore: Gimme Some Truth (John Lennon), Bu$hleaguer, Insignificance, Down, Better Man, Do The Evolution
encore 2: Yellow Ledbetter

notes:
- Ed comes out on stage and tries to get the crowd to sing "Hey, You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" for the anniversary of John Lennon's death.
- After Wishlist, Ed talks a little about Bush and how none of the charity money will support the war. And "fuck Rolling Stone".
- Mike majorly smashes up his guitar after Blood.
- Lyrical change in Do The Evolution: "admire me, admire my clone, admire my son, admire the Ramones" (Ed wore a Ramones shirt as well).

funny, I was just reading in Flanigans book last night about when Pearl Jam was opening for U2.

It had some good insights to what the two thought of each other and I think at that point at least they respected each other. And each other differences,
both are great musicians............:|

One Tree Still said:

Good show - pretty mellow crowd though. All reserved seating so no mosh pit.
After Roskilde, you'll never see a moshpit or GA area at a Pearl Jam show again. Their security is pretty adament nowadays about people remaining where they belong.

I have seen Pearl Jam several times before and no, they do not smoke U2 as musicians, but they are great.

STING2 said:
I have seen Pearl Jam several times before and no, they do not smoke U2 as musicians, but they are great.

I've seen them as well, and I agree.

They're a great live band, their diehards have a wonderful time, but given a choice between them and U2 - it's not a difficult decision for me to make.

This reminds me. Back in the summer of 93 (or was it 94?) Cameron Crowe did a cover story on PJ for Rollingstone. The fact that PJ is opening for U2 in Europe was an interesting part this story. They mentioned that at a show Italy, Bono and Vedder did a song together. I don't recall if it was Bono with PJ or Vedder with U2. Anyway I always figureed I'd see this in bootleg eventually, but now many years later I've never even seen it listed.

Anyone out there know the scoop?

I was at the PJ concert! :hyper:

I :heart: PEARL JAM

I :heart: U2

:hyper:

But I honestly liked this PJ concert better than any of the Elevation ones I went too! :ohmy: *runs* Sorry.

And I love RIOT ACT much more than ATYCLB!! :D

I just love both bands.. and that's all that there's to it!

Last edited:
Superape,

I don't think that actually happened. To the best of my knowledge they have never done anything live together. I did not see anything in Pimms U2: Live A Concert Documentary , about it. That book has every U2 concert in it.

Sting2:

Yeah, I guess you're right. I found the article online and did not find what I recalled. :(

Twas a great article to re-read, however. Pretty fun to read Zooropa tour memories from the opening band's POV.

This is my fav part:

"F--k you," yells a chorus of fans near the front. There is little poetry in the Italian crowd. Forty thousand fill this Roman soccer stadium today, but there isn't much they're interested in seeing outside of the group on the ticket -- U2.

"F--k me?" repeats Vedder, out on the lip of the stage. "Tell you what -- you f--k me, and Bono will f--k you!"

This bit is great too, in hindsight:

Vedder, Liebling and Ament will stay up all night with Bono and the Edge, talking passionately in a diner, debating the issue of the day, the emotional exchange rate on success. And at 6am, there are Vedder and Ament exchanging hugs with Bono on an empty Roman street, arriving at the bus just in time for the trip to Dublin.
"I got all my questions answered," Ament confides. In the course of the dates with U2, he had discussed the hugeness vs. purity issue with all four members of that band. "And they basically told us this: 'We used to be like you. We used to be anti-anti... We used to be angry. But we love technology, like you love what you love. Next tour we might only play 3,000-seat halls. But this is where we are today. Ten years from now, you tell us where you are.'"

October 28, 1993

The whole Cameron Crowe article:

http://www.cameroncroweonline.com/writtenby/rollingstone/pearljam.htm

Yep, I still have that issue of Rolling Stone. Very interesting.

I still have that issue of RS as well. In fact I got Eddie to autograph the cover back in 98.

I thinkthat's about the last positive thing about him to appear in that magazine.

"riot act" is a really good album. i can't really compare pearl jam to u2, they're both two of my all-time favourite bands. i don't WANT to compare the two. it doesn't seem like i should start some kind of fight and argue, so that's all i'm going to say.

I was there....I wanna go back!!!

My favourite bands....hands down...
I was there in Seattle (my first time there yippeee!!) for both shows at the Key Arena.
Well....needless to say....both shows kicked fookin ASS....and I indeed enjoyed some ASS from the 6th row on the second night. Good lord Eddies got a nice one. Perfectly shaped.:censored: :macdevil: :combust:
Great shows that left a beautiful stamp into my brain!!!
But the "smoking U2 as musicians" part, I tend to disagree with.
Both bands know how to rock the fucking house in their own special way. Both bands are true to their music, and true to leaving their audience with that dreaded feeling after the show "Is it really fucking over?" I WANT MORE!!!:drool:
Kudos to U2 and PJ for that. They are both awesome.

What we need here is for both freaking bands to jam together...or tour together. Crack out the freakin heart monitors if that happens, because yours truly would certainly have a coronary.:der:
I'm glad you had a great time.....and just to think that PJ were only "warming" up with those shows.....*thud*
Love Autumn

i don't think the general public could handle a u2 and pearl jam collaboration...it would be far too cool and amazing...

Re: I was there....I wanna go back!!!

AUTUMN!!!!!!!!! :hug: I haven't talked to you in forever!! OMG you were at Seattle too!! Damn, wish I knew so I could have met you!!!!!

OMG that show rocked! And you went to Mondays too!! :drool: lucky you..had it not been for test I had on Tues I would have gone to the Monday show! But the Sunday show..... I was 5 rows back!:drool: Eddie looked :drool:

It was my first time in Seattle too!! BEAUTIFUL CiTY! Isn't it? Foggy but beutiful! LOL

OMG PJ and U2....That would kill me! I'm still waiting for a Bono and Eddie collab! Dear lord! :drool:

Re: Re: I was there....I wanna go back!!!

Mrs. Vedder said:
AUTUMN!!!!!!!!! :hug: I haven't talked to you in forever!! OMG you were at Seattle too!! Damn, wish I knew so I could have met you!!!!!

OMG that show rocked! And you went to Mondays too!! :drool: lucky you..had it not been for test I had on Tues I would have gone to the Monday show! But the Sunday show..... I was 5 rows back! Eddie looked :drool:

It was my first time in Seattle too!! BEAUTIFUL CiTY! Isn't it? Foggy but beutiful! LOL

OMG PJ and U2....That would kill me! I'm still waiting for a Bono and Eddie collab! Dear lord!
OMFG!!!! Monica!!!!!:wave: :drool:
I only saw this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was very last minute....on the Sat. afternoon...someone surprised me with tickets to both shows and airlines...and hotel...it was THE best xmas present EVER.....I have NEVER packed SO fast in my life :der:
But it was all worth it in the end....Seattle WAS beautiful...I'd move there in a heartbeat....in all honesty....my very dry Canadian skin came back not-so-dry after that trip in the misty air....
I would have *LOVED* to have met you too....
There were so many PJ convergences I could have gone too...but I couldn't for the life of me remember where they were taking place....I never paid attention cuz I thought FOR SURE I wasn't going.:sad:
Merry belated xmas and belated happy new year to ya, my lovelee....you will get a pm from me soon...I love ya beyond words...
Love Autumn oxoxoxoxo

Attachments

• aaeddiebono.jpg
    aaeddiebono.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 31
Re: Re: I was there....I wanna go back!!!

Mrs. Vedder said:

OMG that show rocked! And you went to Mondays too!! :drool: lucky you..had it not been for test I had on Tues I would have gone to the Monday show! But the Sunday show..... I was 5 rows back! Eddie looked :drool:

OMG PJ and U2....That would kill me! I'm still waiting for a Bono and Eddie collab! Dear lord!
OMFG!!!! Monica!!!!!:wave: :drool:
I only saw this now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was very last minute....on the Sat. afternoon...someone surprised me with tickets to both shows and airlines...and hotel...it was THE best xmas present EVER.....I have NEVER packed SO fast in my life :der:
But it was all worth it in the end....Seattle WAS beautiful...I'd move there in a heartbeat....in all honesty....my very dry Canadian skin came back not-so-dry after that trip in the misty air....
I would have *LOVED* to have met you too....
There were so many PJ convergences I could have gone too...but I couldn't for the life of me remember where they were taking place....I never paid attention cuz I thought FOR SURE I wasn't going.:sad:
Merry belated xmas and belated happy new year to ya, my lovelee....you will get a pm from me soon...I love ya beyond words...
Love Autumn oxoxoxoxo
PS....here's some fookin royal hotness for you, my Monicaoxoxo

Attachments

• oceans.jpg
    oceans.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: I was there....I wanna go back!!!

Autumn! :hug:

I'm glad you got to go to Seattle!! Too bad we couldn't have met!:( But at least we know we were at the same building! :D LOL

:) Just for you:

ed1.JPG

:drool: :hyper: :censored: :heart: :love: :macdevil: :combust:
Oh...Monica...what are you trying to do to me!!!:lmao:
That pic was exactly the jolt I needed....muchas gracias, my hon...

Headache in a Suitcase said:
I love PJ and I love U2... I just really wish PJ would get over the "we don't want to be popular even though everyone wants to love us" thing... come on, just make a damn video off of riot act... make a save you video, get it out there, and riot act will take off. Argh that annoys me.
I know...I hear ya...although they did ALOT more press for this album...and you know what? They actually shot a whole bunch of "live performance" videos back in September in Seattle...they rented out this restaurant/ bar called the Chop Suey and recorded and filmed 8 or 9 songs....
I dunno if MTV(I'm Canadian) or muchmusic has shown anything...but I know for a fact that in Europe and Australia, they've been showing these videos especially for songs like Save You, I am Mine and Love Boat Captain. I wish I was living in Europe right about now!!:rant:
Who knows....maybe they'll make their way over to us soon enough:mac:

Back
Top Bottom