PC troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bono_man2002

Blue Crack Addict
i recently got an error on windows Xp...restarted the comptuer...got the error ...and had to format the drive...no big deal...

BUT
now i cant reinstall windows X!!
it formats fine, but then when it starts installing it says Windows\Config cannot be written....

so i think maybe my hard drive is dead, or i have faulty memory...so now i'm stuck on the laptop, or as i like to call it the CRAPTOP
back on windows 95 :mad:

ok, instead of starting a whole new thread....

i need some more help :)

i brought a new 160 GB hard drive....sent it to my friend who put the complete U2bloodredsky.com catalouge on it for me...
got the hard drive..
placed it in as slave drive

started up computer....went into my computer, clicked on the new drive...and it asks me to format the drive??? :mad:

i then notice during start up that the computer recogizes the drive as 136 GB...when it should be atleast 150 GB

i've purchased a Proise Ultra 100 TXT ATA Controller Card.....will that do the trick?

thanks for any help

elevation2u said:
hehehe, years after i am still trying to figure out why everyone hates Macs..... i have yet to have any problems with my 3 year old mac :)
why do you think i'm gonna get an imac in a couple years when my current pc becomes outdated? :wink:

bono_man2002 said:
ok, instead of starting a whole new thread....

i need some more help :)

i brought a new 160 GB hard drive....sent it to my friend who put the complete U2bloodredsky.com catalouge on it for me...
got the hard drive..
placed it in as slave drive

started up computer....went into my computer, clicked on the new drive...and it asks me to format the drive??? :mad:

i then notice during start up that the computer recogizes the drive as 136 GB...when it should be atleast 150 GB

i've purchased a Proise Ultra 100 TXT ATA Controller Card.....will that do the trick?

thanks for any help

You should probably check the manufacturer of the motherboard to see if the BIOS will handle the windows XP and the hard drive. Check for any BIOS updates. It just sounds like the BIOS is miss reporting your hard drives actual space (or are you running windows 95?). What was the hard drive formatted as when you got it from your friend?

By the way, what was the original error you were getting?

Last edited:
How old is your computer? Newer ones should have 48-bit LBA, which will allow partitions larger than 137 GB. Also check with your computer manufacturer, or, if you built it on your own, your motherboard manufacturer. There may be BIOS updates that add 48-bit LBA recognition. Also, ensure that your Windows XP disc is included with Service Pack 1, because otherwise, you won't get automatic recognition of a partition larger than 137 GB.

So, it is a matter of getting:

1) The correct motherboard BIOS, *and*

2) The correct Windows version (Windows XP *with* Service Pack 1)

It's a large pain in the ass. The alternative is to format the drive into two partitions, with neither partition greater than 137 GB.

Melon

Last edited:
thanks for the help....

my computer was built in 2001....and i've checked for updates for the motherboard, and the last updates were back in 2001....so i doubt thats any help to me

By the way, what was the original error you were getting?

yes it was, execpt orgainlly i was able to get into view the drive...but all the media was unacessable...for exaple i clicked on U2 Mp3's....and there was nothing in the folder...when i clicked on U2 VCD's...it said this folder is unacessable...

the 160 GB hard drive was formatted on NTFS, same with my other hard drive.
and i am running XP

Last edited:
It is still possible that you have 48-bit LBA, as I think it was around in 2001. But you'd have to contact the manufacturer.

Melon

well i orded the controller last tuesday....and it should be here first thing on monday....

do you guys think that it will do the trick?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom