Paul McCartney - 'complete tool'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Some of you thnk that Paul McCartney is a tool. I am intrigued as to where this is coming from. :|

Rational answers please, I don't want any unfounded speculation.

well, that whole "i want it to be mccartney/lennon not lennon/mccartney" thing was pretty lame.

i don't think he's a tool per se, i just don't like hearing about him in relation to anything other than music, whether it's petty credit listings or why we should all be vegans. sort of like how i might throw my u2 albums out the window if i have to hear one more thing about africa.

McCartney's always been a big dork, but he's a lovable, talented dork.
IWasBored said:
well, that whole "i want it to be mccartney/lennon not lennon/mccartney" thing was pretty lame.
Why does anyone care what order he puts them in anyway?

Yeah, one could as well argue that the "i want it to be lennon/mccartney not mccartney/lennon" thing was just as lame. And two lames get tame.

Oh, and to head off the people who'll say it's lame because John Lennon isn't around to dispute it: John Lennon doesn't give a fuck what order the names are in. He's dead.

typhoon said:
Oh, and to head off the people who'll say it's lame because John Lennon isn't around to dispute it: John Lennon doesn't give a fuck what order the names are in. He's dead.

And not to bash John Lennon (because that isn't my intent at all), but it must get real old for McCartney to keep hearing about the wonders Lennon would be doing if he was alive today. Chances are very good that if Lennon was still alive he'd have done some really inane crap too, but because he died tragically, many people elevate what he could have done to near mythical status.

indra said:

And not to bash John Lennon (because that isn't my intent at all), but it must get real old for McCartney to keep hearing about the wonders Lennon would be doing if he was alive today. Chances are very good that if Lennon was still alive he'd have done some really inane crap too, but because he died tragically, many people elevate what he could have done to near mythical status.

It happens with any dead musicians. Especially the mediocre Kurt Cobain.

Financeguy, in the spirit of this thread beginning due in part to McCartney/Bono comments followed by photo observations, I did a quick google search to see if there was anything out there to suggest a snit between the two. I didn't find anything about that, but check this out:

http://www.theetherealconnection.com/home.php

:ohmy:

A complete hypothesis on comparing the life cycle of the bands' careers that started by comparing album covers. I didn't have time to look at it in depth, but on the surface it's creepy and compelling.

If he's right and not out of his mind (LOL), we'll get another U2 album, someone will die, and another band will begin the cycle.

Plus, the eighties were like some sort of elephant graveyard where rock dinosaurs went to die. None of them survived that decade without putting out a crappy record. Not McCartney, not the Stones, not Clapton, not Dylan, not anybody.

typhoon said:

Why does anyone care what order he puts them in anyway?

i don't care what order they're in, i just don't want to hear about it.

AliEnvy said:
Financeguy, in the spirit of this thread beginning due in part to McCartney/Bono comments followed by photo observations,
whoa whoa whoa, what?! Anybody mind explaining to me what this is about?!!

But Lennon/McCartney is alphabetical. Why would he want to mess with something so mathemetically harmonious as that?:huh:

I don't think McCartney's a tool. In fact, I call him ACE because he's not just a tool, but (say it with me) an entire hardware store.

AliEnvy said:
Financeguy, in the spirit of this thread beginning due in part to McCartney/Bono comments followed by photo observations, I did a quick google search to see if there was anything out there to suggest a snit between the two. I didn't find anything about that, but check this out:

http://www.theetherealconnection.com/home.php

:ohmy:

A complete hypothesis on comparing the life cycle of the bands' careers that started by comparing album covers. I didn't have time to look at it in depth, but on the surface it's creepy and compelling.

If he's right and not out of his mind (LOL), we'll get another U2 album, someone will die, and another band will begin the cycle.

wow, uh... hmm... well... ok. was this webpage done by a distant relative of mark chapman? holy jeez... talk about psychotic nutjob.

i'm a bit frightened.

I think anyone who puts out songs like The Frog or Ebony and Ivory deserves as much grief as possible! I think a lot of people see him as being aloof/arrogant etc (which maybe he has a right to be considering what he has achieved) - any interview I have ever seen with him in the last few years, he does come across as a bit of a tit - trying to be cocky/above everyone else etc. Maybe its not his intention - I guess being a Beatle in the first place and being constantly reminded how good you were is going to have some sort of affect on you.

The Lennon/McCartney, McCartney/Lennon thing was so overblown it's not funny. When "Wings over America" was released(Back in the mid-70s when Lennon WAS alive) the songwriting credits for the Beatle tunes on it were switched to McCartney/Lennon and as far as I know Lennon didn't say a thing about it.

Having said that I do think that the past decade or so McCartney has shown that he's concerned about what his legacy will be to future generations and it has turned alot of Beatle fans off. He put out a biography of himself, written by Barry Miles, that was sactioned by McCartney and had a definate slant towards McCartney when discussing the Beatle years. I'm a huge Beatles fan and have always been more of a "Lennon Man and came away from reading the book with a slight sour taste in the mouth.

It must be tough for him though, having his partner(and equal in my mind) murdered at a young age. Lennons legacy and legend are solidified having died young, and is seen more as a Martyr (As McCartney says he's turned into "Martin Luther Lennon")than a rock star, while McCartney is toiling away as a 60-something rockstar and looks every bit his age. But what can you do, this is the way things turned out

indra said:

Indra is correct about other people's incorrectness...

Catman said:

whoa whoa whoa, what?! Anybody mind explaining to me what this is about?!!

It's in relation to McCartney's "I'm an activist too!" publicity visit to Canada last week to pick on east coast fishermen and their annual seal harvest.

I just speculated in FYM that in the wake of the massive attention Bono and U2 have been getting the the last few years and the constant media comparisons, it seems McCartney's been making a more concerted, if not misguided and out of touch, attempt to guard his legacy.

The McCartney/Lennon thing just comes across as really petty and particularly this late in a person's life - get over it. It just makes him sound like he's suffering from a great inferiority complex.

I'm somewhat familiar with his solo career, which I never had particular issues with until recently. The music is really maudlin, IMO and he's released some true clunkers. And top that off with some of his preaching lately and he becomes a bit unbearable to take.

Has nothing to do with Lennon either - it's not as if he didn't have a few total misses when he was still alive. It's just that he got to die a mythical figure instead.

AliEnvy said:

It's in relation to McCartney's "I'm an activist too!" publicity visit to Canada last week to pick on east coast fishermen and their annual seal harvest.

I just speculated in FYM that in the wake of the massive attention Bono and U2 have been getting the the last few years and the constant media comparisons, it seems McCartney's been making a more concerted, if not misguided and out of touch, attempt to guard his legacy.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up :wink:

theetherealconnection.com

Hey Guys this is Moises Szarf, the author of "The Ethereal Connection: a Synthesis of U2 and The Beatles". I didn't want to reply or interfere with comments made about my site (www theethereaconnection com), but I do need to put a word in for myself in light of the comments made by “Headache in a Suitcase”. He/She wrote:

WOW, UH... HMM... WELL... OK. WAS THIS WEBPAGE DONE BY A DISTANT RELATIVE OF MARK CHAPMAN? HOLY JEEZ... TALK ABOUT PSYCHOTIC NUTJOB.

I'M A BIT FRIGHTENED.

that may have been influenced by the following comment made by AliEnvy:

IF HE'S RIGHT AND NOT OUT OF HIS MIND (LOL), WE'LL GET ANOTHER U2 ALBUM, SOMEONE WILL DIE, AND ANOTHER BAND WILL BEGIN THE CYCLE.

First let me clarify for anyone who might have read those comments that nowhere in my site I suggest something about someone needing to die for a cycle or anything of that sort to be completed. I understand how people who read the site might think in that direction because there actually is certain themes in the site that are related with death, but its not the actual death of a person, it is the death of a cycle, the death of a process. Let me explain:

The first reference to death in the site is in relation with the ‘Paul is Dead’ phenomenon that occurred upon the release of “Abbey Road”, if you haven’t heard or read about it please google ‘Paul is Dead’ and read about it its freakin’ interesting. But basically it’s a rumor that started in American colleges about Paul’s death, and the people spreading it arrive to their conclusions putting together clues from the Beatles album covers and song lyrics, to which the last blow was Paul walking barefoot in the “Abbey Road” cover, that made it, from that point on, the rumor started to spread rapidly until the point that people really believed that Paul McCartney was actually dead, and a reporter had to go and find him in his estate and picture him for people to see that he was alive. There is a lot of literature about this, but the most interesting book that I have read is a book Devin McKinney’ called “Magic Circles”, in it he explains how the whole “Paul is Dead” thing was a collective machination that was synchronized with what was happening at the times. It was 1969 and the “flower generation” was coming to terms with the fact things were not as pretty as the wanted them to be, their dream was over, something was dying, and “Paul is Dead” rumor was unconscious reflection of the times. In my site I compare the Abbey Road cover with an image that appears in the inner sleeve of one of the Discotheque Singles, YOU HAVE TO SEE IT TO UNDERSTAND, but it basically shows how that image might very probably be a reference, i believe unconscious by U2, to the “Abbey Road” cover. It makes sense, in the 90’s when POP was made there was a very strong sense of apocalypse coming, we were all expecting the world to blow up with the Y2K thing, and all sorts of stuff, and that feeling definitely permeates into POP, a feeling that death is very very near, the same feeling that the baby boomers were having at the turn of the sixties. But you have to check it out to understand what I am saying.

The second death suggestion that I make in the site is about the end of the road for the career of U2 because I suggest that the next U2 album will be similar in purpose to Abbey Road, the last Beatles album. But I don’t suggest it as definitive thing I am just comparing their careers and arriving to that conclusion. It’s the result I get after putting variables in the equation. I do personally think that they should not keep on going forever; sometimes it is better to live at the top.

And to those people saying that I should be some kind of a freak or psycho, I would like to ask them to go into my site again, and go through it with patience, reading everything, and trying to assimilate the whole thing, I am sure that It will make sense for you. The Introductory page is vital to understand it; there I explain how it all happened. It was out circumstances coming together, not because I sat down to think something up. What I do in the site is an exercise of bringing together The Beatles and U2, sticking them together to find the common points, its just that the first time I did the exercise, I did it because it happened not because I searched for it mentally.

Enough Guys
Peace and Love

Moises
The Ethereal Connection dot com

writing that many words only makes me think headache was probably right.

I think it would be nice if people would stop assuming that other people are psychopaths just because they are devoted to a hobby out of the ordinary.

Interesting reading, Moises :up:

Last edited:
indra said:

Yes...even legends like Dylan and Neil Young produced crap in the 80s..Lennon is definitely placed on too high a pedestal in relation to McCartney.

Last edited:
Similarities? Perhaps. I'm very skeptical about a number of things, though. Why U2/the Beatles? And from there, if there is a pattern that exists where you could predict a 3rd band and then a 4th 'new sound', it must be necessarily true that this pattern applies to other bands/sounds - otherwise, it's pure coincidence. Furthermore, the album cover art "proof" is sketchy at best. Yes, you've pointed out commonalities, but you could find paintings, photographs, sculpture, etc that have all those same commonalities. I mean, you don't have to be hugely versed in the study of artistic composition to have an understanding of image colour tone, line balance, shape, volume, and texture. So there are similarities in vertical line formation?

Plus some of the examples are pretty ridiculous. As though Adam's hair is blonde in order to correspond to the yellow 'the Beatles' title, or vice versa? I'm sure he groomed himself entirely with this end in mind. It is also pretty convenient in the next example that the blue background on hard day's night is ignored entirely in order to not take away from the 'red text over black and white image' connection.

I mean, I won't take away that the similiarities that do exist are interesting, but I don't think they're substantial enough to prove that a connection between the two bands exists. Things like 'this is the third album for both, and they're still developing their sound, they haven't arrived at their 'final sound' yet' is vague at best, and could be said of virtually any band.

Given the volume of pictures taken of each band, it is a gross misrepresentation at best to pick a single image from Help and a single image from 1992 and say that it's proof that the bands are connected in some significant way.

In the U2 picture, the guys (from left to right, Edge to Adam) are spelling out HELP in Semaphor, which is a sign language that uses flags/arm positions to communicate messages at sea over a distance where/when verbal communication is impossible for whatever reason. To say that they were going to "ask for “HELP” concerning this matter" and that "they emulated The Beatles HELP cover." seems wrong to me. Yes, they were asking for help over that matter, that's obvious. They are asking for help quite explicitly, using a legitimate language. But the Beatles cover is not expressing anything ("RUJV" I'm pretty sure isn't a word) and so to say that there's a similarity there would be misleading, I think. Similar in that they're moving their arms? Sure, if you ignore the fact that people move their arms all the time without it having to mean something. Given the context of the scenario, that they're on a boat in the picture (which is clear from looking at it), and they're protesting the poisoning of the environment with radioactive waste, and they're clearly posing for a picture trying to raise awareness, I think 'help' is a perfectly reasonable and legitimate thing for them to express; they want people to help their cause. I don't think it's any more significant than that, however.

I mean, I'd need a lot more convincing evidence to be presented to consider the site anything more than a novelty.

As for Mr. McCartney, I've gotta say that I'm not a fan. The seal hunt thing recently has just been the straw that broke the camels back for me. I secretly, although I guess its not-so-secretly now, wish that it had been him instead of George to die most recently. Poor George :(

Back
Top Bottom