Patriotism? Or jingoism?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this article represent more the american way of thinking than the state of football, I remember some posts here about american booing the canadian hymn in sports events, so far this world cup, I haven't seen any booing, fans in the stadiums from diferent countries get along very well, even in bitter rivalries like the english-argentine, I have seen people in squares around the world watching the games, and in many cases people from difenernt countries watching it toguether, I remeber a few mexicans between a mass of italians in Rome, nothing happened.
Ther has been some incidents, but surelly less than what american media expects.
Of course after a defeat ppl, get upset, is a pasionate sport, but the only feeling is, "we will meet again", I don't see anything wrong with it, of course authorities in each country need to be carefull, and I think we have reached a level where its acceptable.
Maybe this is surpricing to american media, and this shows his ignorance, maybe the nationalism in USA is the one that can turn ugly. ;)

The article was actually written by a English guy.

Last edited:
I have a wonderful example of this right here:

http://www.audiogalaxy.com/list/sea...bae8eb9522a567de&searchType=0&searchStr=Oasis

Of course one shouldn't take Oasis fans seriously (although I'm actually warming to their music) and judging from these posts most of these posters are probably 12 years old, but it's still pretty sad when it's just a game anyway. There are times when too much patriotism scares me. Remember Andres Escobar, the Cardiff City hooligans, and the Moscow riots this year?

rafmed said:
Maybe this is surpricing to american media, and this shows his ignorance, maybe the nationalism in USA is the one that can turn ugly. ;)

Actually the guy writing was British and when was the last time you saw the entire country of the USA throw a national temper tantrum over a soccer game? hmmm? Speaking of showing ignorance....

I haven't actually seen tape of the 1972 USA vs. USSR Olympic basketball finals...that was way before my time.

I do think that the team could have handled the referee's decision and the loss in a more dignified manner.

The US is very much responsible for the jingoism in international competition which the author of the article decries---every competition against the USSR or East Germany was seen as an extension of the Cold War. But with the end of the Cold War, I think it's fair to say that the US has very much dropped this attitude that sports are somehow related to international politics.

sulawesigirl4 said:

Actually the guy writing was British and when was the last time you saw the entire country of the USA throw a national temper tantrum over a soccer game? hmmm? Speaking of showing ignorance....

I never said that americans do it for soccer.....

but the only ones that I have heard to boo a national anthem for a sporting event are......answer yourself.

Last edited:
ladywithspinninghead said:
haha, I love seeing the Americans get all riled up!!! ;)

Yeah, cuz Canada is never guilty of that. That whole uproar over the figure skating pairs comes to mind....

well, we do have riots when one of our teams wins a major championship. Every year...for some reason it seems like Denver always has a riot with sports...maybe it's just me.

And as far as the figure skating, you had the good old american media hyping that shit way out of proportion. Canadians were upset, but I doubt it was to the extreme that the media wanted us to believe.

Back
Top Bottom