Pat Tillman Killed in Afghanistan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
s_tillman_i.jpg
g_tillman_i.jpg

from ESPN.com
Former NFL defensive back Pat Tillman was killed in action while serving as an Army Ranger in Afghanistan, ABCNEWS reported Friday.

He was 27.

Tillman was killed in direct action during a firefight in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday, Pentagon sources told ABCNEWS.

A Pentagon source told ABCNEWS that Tillman was killed when his Rangers patrol was attacked by small arms fire and mortars during a coordinated ambush.

One enemy combatant was killed, and Tillman was the only U.S. soldier killed during the ambush, said Pentagon sources. His brother, Kevin, is in the same platoon.

No other details were yet available.

Tillman played four seasons for the NFL's Arizona Cardinals as a safety after starring at Arizona State University.

In May of 2002, Tillman announced his intentions to join the Army, turning down a $3.6 million contract offer in the process for $18,000 a year and an uncertain quest to become an Army Ranger. Tillman and his brother Kevin decided to enroll in the U.S. Army Rangers after the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks.

Both Pat and Kevin, a former minor league baseball prospect in the Cleveland Indians organization, committed to three-year military terms, landing spots with the elite U.S. Army Rangers.

The Tillmans' goal to join the Rangers was not an easy one to achieve. Only 35 percent of all candidates get to wear the coveted black and gold Ranger Tab.

The two served in the Middle East as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Pat and Kevin were recipients of the 11th annual Arthur Ashe Courage Award at the 2003 ESPYs. Their younger brother, Richard, accepted the award while the brothers were away.

In 2001, Pat Tillman turned down a $9 million, five-year offer from the St. Louis Rams to remain with the Cardinals for less money.

The 5-foot-11, 200-pound Pat graduated summa cum laude with a 3.84 GPA from Arizona State, with a degree in marketing. While a student, he used to meditate atop a 200-foot light tower above the university's stadium.

"If you don't know Pat, then you would think he's crazy," Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator, said at the time of Pat's enrollment in the Army. "The planes flew so close to him that he could damn near reach out and touch them. He's just fearless."

Tillman's decision to join the Army's elite infantry unit did not come as a surprise to friends, as he was always setting challenges for himself.

Bored before the 2000 season, Tillman ran a marathon. After setting a franchise record with 224 tackles in 2000, he prepared for the following season's training camp by competing in a 70.2-mile triathlon.

"You don't find guys that have that combination of being as bright and as tough as him," Snow said.

Last edited:
please... one is fantasy land, one is real life. the person who looks like a jackass isn't eli manning, it's simeon rice, who made the following comment upon being asked about tillman's act of leaving the NFL for the army back in 2002.

"He really wasn't that good, not really," Rice said. "He was good enough to play in Arizona, [but] that's just like the XFL."

Tillman: An American Hero

?I was dumbfounded by everything that was going on,? shared Tillman shortly after 9/11. ?In times like this you stop and think how good we have it. I have always had a great deal of feeling for the flag but you don?t realize how great of a life we have over here. In times like this, you think about how good we have it and what kind of a system we live under, what freedoms we are allowed. That wasn?t built over night. The flag is a symbol of all that. A lot of my family has gone and fought in wars and I haven?t really done a damn thing as far as laying myself on the line like that so I have a great respect for those that have and what the flag stands for.?

MrsSpringsteen said:

shari schultz said:

Green Bays Mike McKenzie too...

I'd stop saying how other NFL players look like jackasses based on moves they make in the fantasy business world that is the NFL... 'cause frankly, Pat Tillman makes each and every one of us look like jackasses. His sacrafice is the kind that makes you sit back and ask yourself "what have i ever really done with my life?"

Very sad. :(

Seems as if (fromt he article above and the fron page of the Chicago Tribune today) he was a VERY loyal guy (avoiding a bigger contract with the Rams to stay in Arizona - and then going to the Army).

Headache in a Suitcase said:
'cause frankly, Pat Tillman makes each and every one of us look like jackasses.

I read a little bit about him this morning in the paper and he really sounds like such a man of conviction, which is something sorely lacking in today's world. His is a great loss and I have no doubt he will be missed and scores of people will draw inspiration from his story. It's truly remarkable.

But I disagree with the latter part of your statement. People are doing amazing things all day. I work in a cancer research lab (breast and prostate) and there are people who have devoted their lives to this at very little pay and no glory, with daily exposure risks that exceed the average public many-fold. I don't think any of them are jackasses.

What we need is more people like him, sure.

Back
Top Bottom