Parklife or Definitely Maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
blur.jpg
Vs.
d95630it6s1.jpg

Mmk, it's the general consensus that these are Blur and Oasis's best albums, respectively, so I figured these would be the best two to compare.

For now, put me down for Definitely Maybe. It doesn't reach Parklife's greatest heights (Tracy Jacks, Badhead, This Is A Low), but it also isn't swamped with its filler (Debt Collector, Far Out, Lot 105) either. Plus, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Live Forever, and Supersonic are tough to beat. :shifty:

Parklife - A-
Definitely Maybe - A

If someone would like to add a poll, they are more than welcome to.

Definitely, Maybe ftw :up:

"Rock 'n' Roll Star"
"Shakermaker"
"Live Forever"
"Up in the Sky"
"Columbia"
"Supersonic"
"Bring It on Down"
"Cigarettes & Alcohol"
"Digsy's Dinner"
"Slide Away"
"Married with Children"

And Sad Song, my favorite Oasis ballad ever, is a BONUS TRACK, a bonus track!

:heart:

I like Parklife alright, but my personal favorite is The Great Escape. :up:

annie_vox said:
Parklife is not my favourite Blur album... But I'm not into Oasis, in fact I don't know that much about them. So to me it's Parklife :up:

You owe it to yourself to check out Definitely Maybe when you can...it's pretty darn wonderful. Or the Stop The Clocks compilation, which contains 5 songs from it, and 5 others from (What's The Story) Morning Glory, which is equally praised in some circles.

For newbies to Blur, I recommend Best Of--->Parklife--->Blur in that order. If you fall in love with those, check out Modern Life Is Rubbish because it's poorly represented on the best of.

Not sure you can prove the consensus that DM is Oasis' best album. Morning Glory is a lot better known and sold more (if we're counting measureables and yes, that's a slippery slope). I'd say it's the second best, with Supersonic and Live Forever as highlights. But I'd have to give the prize to Morning Glory:

Roll With It
Champaign Supernova
Wonderwall
Don't Look Back In Anger
Morning Glory
She's Electric
Hello
Some Might Say

Plus B-sides of

Acquiesce
Talk Tonight
The Masterplan
Step Out
Rockin' Chair
Round Are Way

Still DM is better than anything by Blur.

Morning Glory is great, but it totally rips off Definitely Maybe on occasion (She's Electric = Digsy's Diner without the charm, Roll With It sounds like a DM b-side, etc.), and it has some crowd-pleasing washed out ballads that have not aged well (DLBIA, Cast No Shadow). You can't accuse DM of these things, but I will give Morning Glory some credit for being more eclectic and interesting than DM, plus it has some wonderful singles. The problem is, it just reeks of pomp and pretension (those interludes? bleh...). Since when has sales proved anything anyway? :wink: DM is the critical favorite, if nothing else.

Don't even try arguing about Parklife. :p It's quite clear that one has been singled out over the years.

Last edited:
If you're into cheap thrills and hooks, Definitely Maybe would be for you. It's a highly enjoyable album. But are we actually debating the artistic merit between these two albums? From a musicianship, songwriting, creative, and ambition standpoint Parklife easily wins this comparison, no fucking contest. Definitely Maybe is like the Appetite For Destruction of British music. A hell of a lot of fun and an electric debut, but all attitude and not much depth.

But it doesn't surprise me Oasis is getting the support here considering all the hooligans that still think they're some kind of important band. Blur lost their guitarist and still put out an album better than anything Oasis could ever come up with.

xaviMF22 said:
and I agree Morning Glory > DM

Champagne Supernova
Don't look back in Anger

:drool: :drool:

:tsk: Don't Look Back In Anger is so lame, even Noel himself hates it. Cast No Shadow is the same thing over and over without even being interesting to begin with, those lame interludes, and the singles, great as they are, don't touch any of the better moments of DM. :wink: Morning Glory showed the first signs that Oasis could suck, which they started to do immediately after. :yes:

LemonMelon said:

You owe it to yourself to check out Definitely Maybe when you can...it's pretty darn wonderful. Or the Stop The Clocks compilation, which contains 5 songs from it, and 5 others from (What's The Story) Morning Glory, which is equally praised in some circles.

For newbies to Blur, I recommend Best Of--->Parklife--->Blur in that order. If you fall in love with those, check out Modern Life Is Rubbish because it's poorly represented on the best of.

I will one day... I guess I never really gave a chance to Oasis so that's why I don't really know their music. People talk a lot about them but... Well I don't know :shrug:

And, about Blur, I'd recomend 13 too ;)

1. I myself vote for Definitely Maybe.

2. If yertle were around, he'd vote for Parklife. Maybe he'll smell this thread and stop by.

3. I like Morning Glory better than Definitely Maybe as well.

xaviMF22 said:
Parklife (song) is so lame :tsk:

:yuck:

:drool: I think it's giddy fun for the whole family.

But yeah, it's not anywhere near the best of the album...Badhead is freakin gorgeous, Girls & Boys is a template for the perfect dance single, and Clover Over Dover... :combust:

I love both of these albums, really. :drool:

HeartlandGirl said:
1. I myself vote for Definitely Maybe.

2. If yertle were around, he'd vote for Parklife. Maybe he'll smell this thread and stop by.

3. I like Morning Glory better than Definitely Maybe as well.

:up:

srsly LemonMelon is on crack :tsk:

LemonMelon said:

:tsk: Don't Look Back In Anger is so lame, even Noel himself hates it. Cast No Shadow is the same thing over and over without even being interesting to begin with, those lame interludes, and the singles, great as they are, don't touch any of the better moments of DM. :wink: Morning Glory showed the first signs that Oasis could suck, which they started to do immediately after. :yes:

One of the biggest songs off DM is a Coca Cola jingle!

I'd say they really didn't start to suck until 2000 (and rebounded nicely in 2002 though they were no longer in contention for U2 like status). I rather like Be Here Now (pretentious and bloated though it is) and The Masterplan compilation.

Blur, eh.. they're fun, but never got into them.

Definitely Maybe = brilliant. Still my favorite Oasis album to date :heart: Supersonic wins it.

LM, I'm not sure about your consensus abilities :huh:
I don't know know where you take these secret polls of yours but they are so off...

But if it's between these 2 subpar albums I'd go with Parklife.

Definitely Maybe... best album Oasis ever put out.

highlights: Rock N Roll Star, Supersonic, Columbia, Married With Children, Live Forever, Shakermaker.

Blur vs. Oasis is so 1996!

Um... I haven't heard all of Parklife so I guess I can't vote. Def Maybe is okay but I prefer Morning Glory by a landslide!

Back
Top Bottom