Parklife or Definitely Maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TheQuiet1 said:
You have a brilliant opener with Rock 'n' Roll Star then it's a bunch of songs that, while great, do sound very similiar in style ( I think DM is as much a wall of noise as BHN is). The only breaks from this would be Digsy's Dinner and Married With Children (plus the brilliant Sad Song if you're including it). Slide Away is completely ruined by the way it's a ballad in pub rock clothing. The music completely overpowers what Liam is singing and they don't fit comfortably together at all IMHO.

Yeah exactly! It sounds a bit too same-y for me even though I enjoy certain songs like Rock n Roll Star, Shaker Maker, Live Forever, Married With Children etc. Morning Glory on the other hand has such variety and so many brilliant songs! Don't Look Back In Anger, Wonderwall, Roll With It, Hey Now, Some Might Say (those last 2 I can't help but compare to Strawberry Fields Forever/Penny Lane... if you listen to both together, you know what I mean :wink: ), Champagne Supernova, What's The Story.. :love:

Parklife is such a fun song to sing when drinking! :drool: :dance:

I only have the Best Of and now very tempted to get one of their albums!

Up In The Sky, Bring It On Down and Slide Away are pure filler for me, while the closest thing to filler on Morning Glory are those two transition tracks

Zootlesque said:

Yeah, I think I agree with you! Blur and Pulp sound overtly british and never bothered to disguise their accents like Oasis and esp. U2 did! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Americans in general cannot relate all that much to a very very British sounding song like Parklife. I know I'm making a generalization but :shrug:
I was born in Britain and the British influenced my parents' home country's speaking of English, so I tend to love British bands, even if there's a lot of slang I don't always get. I guess enjoying The Cure from early on prepared me for British accents. Pulp are just amazing to me. What always bothered me about Blur wasn't the music or even that they used British accents, but the way they sang. The music to "Boys and Girls" is surprisingly good, but I was always turned off by the repetitive and silly-sounding lyrics. Parklife I couldn't really understand or want to, but I just never go into the silly chorus. Pulp is another level of gorgeous music and great lyrics, however!

intedomine said:
Up In The Sky, Bring It On Down and Slide Away are pure filler for me, while the closest thing to filler on Morning Glory are those two transition tracks

Slide Away's alright for me, but it would've been better as a ballad like TheQuiet said earlier. Have you listened to Noel's acoustic version? It's loads better.

I'm not a big fan of Rock N' Roll Star or the other two you mentioned, but going through the rest of the tracks... Damn.

Live Forever
Supersonic
Cigarettes & Alcohol
Digsy's Dinner
Married with Children
Shakermaker

Most bands would only dream of having that many high quality songs on any album, their debut no less, but that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by LemonMelon
It doesn't reach Parklife's greatest heights (Tracy Jacks
QUOTE]

You're telling me that this car crash of a song is better than anything on definitely maybe??

:uhoh:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom