paris - what to see - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2004, 10:16 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:02 PM
paris - what to see

ciao tutti

i may be going to paris soon. i just have 2 days to see places in paris. what to see and what to skip ?

any advice would be appreciated

by
acrobatman

Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 06:02 PM
well, with two days you can see a lot of the big obvious things.

Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
Champs Elysees
Arc de Triomphe
the Louvre (but you should give yourself at least half a day for this and that will only cover a tiny portion)
Versailles (also takes a good half a day or more)

wander around the streets, drink coffee in a cafe, take yourself out for a nice dinner in a French restaurant.

have a great time! I Paris.

Old 03-03-2004, 11:08 AM   #3
She's the One

Local Time: 03:02 PM
I've never been there but I've always wanted to see Sacre Coeur, even before the Two Hearts video was filmed there.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:19 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 PM
The Rodin Museum is incredible. But with only 2 days, I'd sit my butt at a lot of cafes, eat amazing food and soak up the atmosphere instead of trying to see all the Paris landmarks, but that's just me.

Jealous
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Eiffel Tower - a must (make sure you go with enough time cos lines are pretty long)
Notre Dame - Definitely
Champs Elysees - Definitely
Arc de Triomphe - Definitely (I also recomend walking down to the Place de la Concorde and Arc de la Defense - if you start at this one you can just walk down in a straight line and it would take you down Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, down to the Louvre)
the Louvre - I recomend just seeing the important paintings and stuff like the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, and just some random stuff but it does take forever
Versailles - only if you have enough time but it is worth it.

I also recommend Sacre Coeur, Moulin Rouge (which is near by the sacre coeur), Galleries Lafayette (it's a mall but it's wicked how it's all combined), The Opera house, eating and drinking at a cafe in the evening. I took the boat tour that goes on the river and that's pretty cool too.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:02 PM
For such a short trip, I would only add a couple of things:

1. If you like impressionist works, definitely visit the Musée d'Orsay. The building alone is beautiful (a restored train station).

2. With the exception of Versailles, most sights can be visited as part of a long walking tour. Though tiring, you get a real flavor of the city.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

grazie tutti,

what about disneyland ? i think there is a disneyland there. is that for kids ? is it visitable ?

anyway i will take printout of all suggestions in this thread

thanks again
acrobatman

ps: sula, if you can, drop a line at letdown_acrobat@yahoo.com
Old 03-03-2004, 12:13 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
As everyone has mentioned places I would have said Ill add an extra one,

Le Panthéon.

I would love to go to Paris, hopefully this year, hopefully...
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

lara
Old 03-03-2004, 12:36 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah Disneyland Paris. That's kinda outside the city tho. I haven't been so I dunno But I have seen the signs to it on the roadways
Old 03-03-2004, 02:03 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Please don't go to Disneyland Paris. I beg you. Please.
Old 03-03-2004, 04:59 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
lara
AM
Old 03-03-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
MacPhisto's serving wench

yes, please don't go all the way to Paris to go to Disneyland....

and please see the Eiffel Tower. And please take photos of it for me and post them here.

It is my DREAM to go to Paris.

*jealous pout*
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:02 PM
I spent about two days in Paris a few years ago...and saw a good chunck of the city, but really didn't have enough "quality" time there. We made a quick run through the Louvre and saw some of the important pieces they have (and spent one hour in line to get in). We also had breakfast at a boulangerie (sp?) - a Paris MUST.

I was dissapointed I did not get to go to the Orsay. The days that we were there, the Orsay's schedule did not fit in with ours.

If you love mordern art (20th century) as much as I do, go to the Pompidou Centre. It is AMAMZING. It is this large modern building in the middle of a great neighborhood. Outside of the art, it has some GREAT and unique views of the city.

The eiffel Tower is nice to see, but I am not sure if it worth the time and money in a two day trip to travel to the top. Notre Dame is in a neat but touristy neighborhood...again check out the inside, but don't waste time or money climbing the bell towers.

I visited another church in the cities courthouse complex....the name escapes me, but it was an amazing site inside. Unbelievable stained-glass.

Also, I had a lot of fun shopping Paris. As for food...I am a picky eater, and I was with a girlfriend who was a vegetarian. Neither of us could read or speak French. We had a REAL tough time finding a restaurant...but that was our own problem.

Have fun, and avoid Disneyland.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:52 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by zoney!
If you love mordern art (20th century) as much as I do, go to the Pompidou Centre. It is AMAMZING. It is this large modern building in the middle of a great neighborhood. Outside of the art, it has some GREAT and unique views of the city.

The eiffel Tower is nice to see, but I am not sure if it worth the time and money in a two day trip to travel to the top. Notre Dame is in a neat but touristy neighborhood...again check out the inside, but don't waste time or money climbing the bell towers.

I totally agree.

I've been to Paris 4 times and the Louvre was closed each time once for a bomb threat and the other 3 times for renovations.

And contrary to popular American opinion, I found the Parisians to be extremely kind and generous. I was traveling alone one of the times I was there and had families in restaurants, apparently unable to bear the sight of a young woman eating alone, insisting that I join them for dinner. Then I was chatting with a man sitting on a park bench and he said the place I was staying was unacceptable and since he was leaving town with his family the next day, I might as well stay at their place. He then handed over the keys to his family’s gorgeous apartment…to a total stranger!! As we parted he said, “The last time I did this the person stole my camera.” And then he laughed and shrugged and walked away. I stayed in a beautiful place free for a week with no strings attached. And I didn’t steal anything.