paris - what to see

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, with two days you can see a lot of the big obvious things.

Eiffel Tower
Notre Dame
Champs Elysees
Arc de Triomphe
the Louvre (but you should give yourself at least half a day for this and that will only cover a tiny portion)
Versailles (also takes a good half a day or more)

wander around the streets, drink coffee in a cafe, take yourself out for a nice dinner in a French restaurant.

have a great time! I :heart: Paris.

The Rodin Museum is incredible. But with only 2 days, I'd sit my butt at a lot of cafes, eat amazing food and soak up the atmosphere instead of trying to see all the Paris landmarks, but that's just me.

Jealous :mad:

Eiffel Tower - a must (make sure you go with enough time cos lines are pretty long)
Notre Dame - Definitely
Champs Elysees - Definitely
Arc de Triomphe - Definitely (I also recomend walking down to the Place de la Concorde and Arc de la Defense - if you start at this one you can just walk down in a straight line and it would take you down Champs Elysees, Arc de Triomphe, down to the Louvre)
the Louvre - I recomend just seeing the important paintings and stuff like the Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, and just some random stuff but it does take forever
Versailles - only if you have enough time but it is worth it.

I also recommend Sacre Coeur, Moulin Rouge (which is near by the sacre coeur), Galleries Lafayette (it's a mall but it's wicked how it's all combined), The Opera house, eating and drinking at a cafe in the evening. I took the boat tour that goes on the river and that's pretty cool too.

For such a short trip, I would only add a couple of things:

1. If you like impressionist works, definitely visit the Mus?e d'Orsay. The building alone is beautiful (a restored train station).

2. With the exception of Versailles, most sights can be visited as part of a long walking tour. Though tiring, you get a real flavor of the city.

As everyone has mentioned places I would have said Ill add an extra one,

Le Panth?on.

I would love to go to Paris, hopefully this year, hopefully...

yes, please don't go all the way to Paris to go to Disneyland....

and please see the Eiffel Tower. And please take photos of it for me and post them here.

It is my DREAM to go to Paris.

*jealous pout*

I spent about two days in Paris a few years ago...and saw a good chunck of the city, but really didn't have enough "quality" time there. We made a quick run through the Louvre and saw some of the important pieces they have (and spent one hour in line to get in). We also had breakfast at a boulangerie (sp?) - a Paris MUST.

I was dissapointed I did not get to go to the Orsay. The days that we were there, the Orsay's schedule did not fit in with ours.

If you love mordern art (20th century) as much as I do, go to the Pompidou Centre. It is AMAMZING. It is this large modern building in the middle of a great neighborhood. Outside of the art, it has some GREAT and unique views of the city.

The eiffel Tower is nice to see, but I am not sure if it worth the time and money in a two day trip to travel to the top. Notre Dame is in a neat but touristy neighborhood...again check out the inside, but don't waste time or money climbing the bell towers.

I visited another church in the cities courthouse complex....the name escapes me, but it was an amazing site inside. Unbelievable stained-glass.

Also, I had a lot of fun shopping Paris. As for food...I am a picky eater, and I was with a girlfriend who was a vegetarian. Neither of us could read or speak French. We had a REAL tough time finding a restaurant...but that was our own problem.

Have fun, and avoid Disneyland.

zoney! said:
If you love mordern art (20th century) as much as I do, go to the Pompidou Centre. It is AMAMZING. It is this large modern building in the middle of a great neighborhood. Outside of the art, it has some GREAT and unique views of the city.

The eiffel Tower is nice to see, but I am not sure if it worth the time and money in a two day trip to travel to the top. Notre Dame is in a neat but touristy neighborhood...again check out the inside, but don't waste time or money climbing the bell towers.

I totally agree. :up:

I've been to Paris 4 times and the Louvre was closed each time :mad: once for a bomb threat and the other 3 times for renovations.

And contrary to popular American opinion, I found the Parisians to be extremely kind and generous. I was traveling alone one of the times I was there and had families in restaurants, apparently unable to bear the sight of a young woman eating alone, insisting that I join them for dinner. Then I was chatting with a man sitting on a park bench and he said the place I was staying was unacceptable and since he was leaving town with his family the next day, I might as well stay at their place. He then handed over the keys to his family?s gorgeous apartment?to a total stranger!! :shocked: As we parted he said, ?The last time I did this the person stole my camera.? And then he laughed and shrugged and walked away. I stayed in a beautiful place free for a week with no strings attached. And I didn?t steal anything.

joyfulgirl said:

Then I was chatting with a man sitting on a park bench and he said the place I was staying was unacceptable and since he was leaving town with his family the next day, I might as well stay at their place. He then handed over the keys to his family?s gorgeous apartment?to a total stranger!! :shocked: As we parted he said, ?The last time I did this the person stole my camera.? And then he laughed and shrugged and walked away. I stayed in a beautiful place free for a week with no strings attached. And I didn?t steal anything.

OMG are you serious??? That's the most generous thing anyone's ever done...whoa....

Do you still have the address???? I might be visiting Paris next summer.. :sexywink:

The best way to absorb the atmosphere is to just walk around. You can experience so much of Paris that way. When I went there, my family and I walked from Saint Germaine, where our hotel was, past Notre Dame to the Louvre, up through the park until Champs Elysees, to the Arche de Triomphe, across the river, to the eiffel tower and back- walking along the riverbank. It was a gorgeous day and took us several hours and several miles, but it was absolutely worth it. Also- take a vendetta or bateau mouche(sp?) at night- the eiffel tower lit up is gorgeous, and you get to see a lot of Paris from the water. I think you can get one of those boats from Pont Neuf. The Latin Quarter is great too, there are tons of restaurants. Warning: if you want to sit at one of the famous cafes, be prepared to pay 8 bucks for a coke, or any drink. The advantage is that you can sit at a cafe for hours and just people watch.

Last edited:
hehe, now i'm getting all nostalgic for ol' Paris. I'm probably going to be spending a weekend there with my parents in late April when I go to visit them in England. Can't wait to show them the city. And I can't wait to just sit at a little cafe and sip my coffee and people watch.

But most of all, I can't (or maybe i can) wait to get the weird reactions to my new French-speaking capabilities...all in my Africanized accent and jargon. :huh: ou bien, peut-etre je veut attendre un peu pour ca.

Well, well about everything that needs to be said etc.. yeah apart from the Louvre plus Pyramide and all the usual sights, go see them, skip Versailles and check La Defense. Its definitely worth seeing. Also go to see the Pompidou. The square in front is nice. Also, check the Place Trocadero after being to the Eiffel Tower. For a caf?, you may check the Ritz or the Crillon, both fabulous luxury hotels. Try a croissant on caf? on Champs Elysees. At the start, there?s the Government palace as well.. also go to see the gardens around the Louvre. On the other end of the Champs Elysees end, L?Arc de Triomphe. Have a great time!

Maybe you?d also like to visit the Bastille-Quarter, good for souvenirs. If you want to see nice churches, there are lots and lots. On the Ile de la Cite (center) definitely go to see the Sainte Chapelle in the Justice Palace, there?s a small chapel in blue and gold, amazing, and above that the church with those beautiful windows. Go over the bridge to the Ile St. Louis, the second little island on the Seine river, to see some nice houses 17th century. Be sure to check the Notre Dame and walk around it, at the back there?s a little park. Place de Concorde is just filled with cars, forget it, you?ll pass by anyway. A nice square is the Place de la Vendome (where you also find the Ritz). Maybe you?d also like to visit the Cathedral of Sacre Coeur, which was built up after the "Paris Commune" in 1871, as a sign of regret for the "crimes of the Communards" standing over a mass grave of killed Communards. There are stairs, and from outside it?s a nice sight, down to the old Montmatre, another market quarter of the city. The musee D?Orsay could be nice, but skip it if you have no time.. if you have more time, there?s Picasso and Rodin museums.

Last edited:
well i q, in pqris qnd the keyboqrd here is q GONE CQSE

zrong zords qt the zrong plqec

,y mobile phone got blocked qs i forgot the pin:::qnd enetreed three ti,es the zrong pin

zell thqnks everyone for the qdvice

todqy sqa eiffiel tozer, lqdefence, notre dq,e qnd couple of ,ore things:: zell did the sq,e zqy qs U?girl did but i used the ?ETRO insteqd

zell this is not french surely::

thqnks qll

qcrobqt,qn

Back
Top Bottom