paris - what to see - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2004, 02:24 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
unable to bear the sight of a young woman eating alone
I am unable to bear this sight too! or something.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:41 AM
For a 2 day trip I agree with the above.

With a little more time, I really enjoyed La Defense especially La Grande Arche:

http://eras.free.fr/images/Arche/arches1s.JPG

Old 03-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:41 AM

ouizy's in the house!
Old 03-04-2004, 04:28 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
For a 2 day trip I agree with the above.

With a little more time, I really enjoyed La Defense especially La Grande Arche:

http://eras.free.fr/images/Arche/arches1s.JPG
definitely worth a visit. A little out of the way to walk so take the Metro.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:05 PM   #20
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Then I was chatting with a man sitting on a park bench and he said the place I was staying was unacceptable and since he was leaving town with his family the next day, I might as well stay at their place. He then handed over the keys to his family’s gorgeous apartment…to a total stranger!! As we parted he said, “The last time I did this the person stole my camera.” And then he laughed and shrugged and walked away. I stayed in a beautiful place free for a week with no strings attached. And I didn’t steal anything.
OMG are you serious??? That's the most generous thing anyone's ever done...whoa....

Do you still have the address???? I might be visiting Paris next summer..
Old 03-04-2004, 08:56 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 10:41 AM
The best way to absorb the atmosphere is to just walk around. You can experience so much of Paris that way. When I went there, my family and I walked from Saint Germaine, where our hotel was, past Notre Dame to the Louvre, up through the park until Champs Elysees, to the Arche de Triomphe, across the river, to the eiffel tower and back- walking along the riverbank. It was a gorgeous day and took us several hours and several miles, but it was absolutely worth it. Also- take a vendetta or bateau mouche(sp?) at night- the eiffel tower lit up is gorgeous, and you get to see a lot of Paris from the water. I think you can get one of those boats from Pont Neuf. The Latin Quarter is great too, there are tons of restaurants. Warning: if you want to sit at one of the famous cafes, be prepared to pay 8 bucks for a coke, or any drink. The advantage is that you can sit at a cafe for hours and just people watch.
Old 03-05-2004, 06:01 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

hehe, now i'm getting all nostalgic for ol' Paris. I'm probably going to be spending a weekend there with my parents in late April when I go to visit them in England. Can't wait to show them the city. And I can't wait to just sit at a little cafe and sip my coffee and people watch.

But most of all, I can't (or maybe i can) wait to get the weird reactions to my new French-speaking capabilities...all in my Africanized accent and jargon. ou bien, peut-etre je veut attendre un peu pour ca.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

I want to see the graves of Jim Morrison and Felix Yussoupov.
Old 03-05-2004, 05:19 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Well, well about everything that needs to be said etc.. yeah apart from the Louvre plus Pyramide and all the usual sights, go see them, skip Versailles and check La Defense. Its definitely worth seeing. Also go to see the Pompidou. The square in front is nice. Also, check the Place Trocadero after being to the Eiffel Tower. For a café, you may check the Ritz or the Crillon, both fabulous luxury hotels. Try a croissant on café on Champs Elysees. At the start, there´s the Government palace as well.. also go to see the gardens around the Louvre. On the other end of the Champs Elysees end, L´Arc de Triomphe. Have a great time!
Old 03-05-2004, 05:33 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:41 PM
Maybe you´d also like to visit the Bastille-Quarter, good for souvenirs. If you want to see nice churches, there are lots and lots. On the Ile de la Cite (center) definitely go to see the Sainte Chapelle in the Justice Palace, there´s a small chapel in blue and gold, amazing, and above that the church with those beautiful windows. Go over the bridge to the Ile St. Louis, the second little island on the Seine river, to see some nice houses 17th century. Be sure to check the Notre Dame and walk around it, at the back there´s a little park. Place de Concorde is just filled with cars, forget it, you´ll pass by anyway. A nice square is the Place de la Vendome (where you also find the Ritz). Maybe you´d also like to visit the Cathedral of Sacre Coeur, which was built up after the "Paris Commune" in 1871, as a sign of regret for the "crimes of the Communards" standing over a mass grave of killed Communards. There are stairs, and from outside it´s a nice sight, down to the old Montmatre, another market quarter of the city. The musee D´Orsay could be nice, but skip it if you have no time.. if you have more time, there´s Picasso and Rodin museums.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:57 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:41 PM
i was thinking of going this weekend. from italy to paris by train - was to reach paris in morning

but lots of people killed in madrid train station..

report of 10 bombs planted in french rail lines..

paris rail station will be the obvious target, if there is a bomb attack in france. morning would be the obvious time..when traffic is maximum.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3500452.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3533529.stm
Old 03-11-2004, 05:48 AM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 03:41 PM
i was hoping we got to see something of paris hilton when i saw the thread title
Old 03-13-2004, 04:04 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:41 PM
well i q, in pqris qnd the keyboqrd here is q GONE CQSE

zrong zords qt the zrong plqec

,y mobile phone got blocked qs i forgot the pin:::qnd enetreed three ti,es the zrong pin

zell thqnks everyone for the qdvice

todqy sqa eiffiel tozer, lqdefence, notre dq,e qnd couple of ,ore things:: zell did the sq,e zqy qs Uégirl did but i used the ?ETRO insteqd

zell this is not french surely::

thqnks qll

qcrobqt,qn